It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISIS Attacks Kobani From Turkey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
ISIS has allegedly attacked Kobani from Turkey, according to Kurdish officials.

The Islamic State group launched an attack Saturday on the Syrian border town of Kobani from Turkey, a Kurdish official and activists said, although Turkey denied that the fighters had used its territory for the raid.

The assault began when a suicide bomber driving an armored vehicle detonated his explosives on the border crossing between Kobani and Turkey, said the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and Nawaf Khalil, a spokesman for Syria's powerful Kurdish Democratic Union Party.

The Islamic State group "used to attack the town from three sides," Khalil said. "Today, they are attacking from four sides."

Turkish officials confirmed the attacks, but denied the reports claiming that they came from their country:

A Turkish government statement on Saturday confirmed that one of the suicide attacks involved a bomb-loaded vehicle that detonated on the Syrian side of the border. But it denied that the vehicle had crossed into Kobani through Turkey, which would be a first for the extremist fighters.

"Claims that the vehicle reached the border gate by crossing through Turkish soil are a lie," read the statement released from the government press office at the border town of Suruc. "Contrary to certain claims, no Turkish official has made any statement claiming that the bomb-loaded vehicle had crossed in from Turkey."

If these claims are true, they would further damage Turkey's reputation. It honestly wouldn't surprise me though. Turkey has already been suspected of cooperating with ISIS fighters by allowing them to cross over into Syria. It has even been claimed that Turkey has allowed entire units to travel through their countryside without harm, before crossing back over into Syria.

Needless to say, it isn't too far out there to think that the attack came from the Turkish side of the border. It's not like ISIS is going to drive the truck past Kobani, and up towards the border. It is more likely that they had driven through the border, towards Kobani, before detonating the explosives. The question remains then, did Turkey let ISIS through, or did they just ram through the crossing?

abcnews.go.com...
edit on 29-11-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Wouldn't surprise me pal...

Erdogan seems to have lost the plot lately...

It wouldn't be a smart move from his country...
But then again he hasn't said anything smart in the last month...

Actually his gaffs have got worse as they go on.

First it was "Muslims found America first..."...
Which he reiterated yesterday...
Then "women are not equal"...
Which caused abit of a stir...
& yesterday he claimed that "foreigners" like watching Middle Eastern children die...

He's not making any friends with these comments...
But to allow IS shelter and a way into Syria...
That's a whole other can of worms he's gonna have to answer to.

NATO will probably revoke the Turkish membership if it's true.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I agree.

Things are getting progressively worse for Turkey's reputation....this will only serve to deal much greater damage providing the claims are true.

Thanks for commenting!

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

If these claims are true, they would further damage Turkey's reputation

I would treat the claims of the Kurdish fighters with suspicion given the Kurds history with Turkey.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

If these claims are true, they would further damage Turkey's reputation

I would treat the claims of the Kurdish fighters with suspicion given the Kurds history with Turkey.

Yes, i do agree.

As with any claim, truth must first be established for one to accept it. I don't necessarily believe the above reports, but logical deduction and prior evidence of Turkish complicity would influence me to lean closer to the claims being legitimate. I do hold that ounce of doubt though.

Thanks!

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   

No problem pal, your threads are always worth the time...

a reply to: gortex
That's true, it's not surprising it's Kurdish sources...
However I wouldn't rule it out just for that...
Turkey have played just as much a part in that history.
edit on 29-11-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-11-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Turkey have played just as much a part in that history.

They have but I don't see them siding with IS to get one over on the Kurds , too much to lose with not much of a gain for it to be worthwhile in my view.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I tend to agree pal...

It's Erdogan that makes me wonder though...

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
This is quite possibly mis-information by the Kurds. The Turks might be causing problems with access to Korbiani or the Kurds are having problems with getting arms through Turkey.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

IRAQI KURDISH LEADER BARZANI THANKS TURKEY FOR KOBANI SUPPORT

KURDISH LEADER BARZANI THANKS TURKS

IRBIL — Turkish approval and U.S. support enabled Iraqi Kurdish peshmerga fighters to go to Kobani, the Iraqi Kurdistan Regional Government leader said on Thursday.

Masoud Barzani said that peshmerga access to Kobani would have been impossible without Turkey's compliance, in a written statement. Barzani spoke after peshmerga soldiers departed early Wednesday to fight alongside Kurdish fighters in Kobani on the Turkey-Syria border to take on the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham. "Intense bilateral and trilateral talks were held among the U.S., Turkey and the Kurdish region to arrange access for the peshmerga. After the talks, Turkey officially informed us that it would provide all kinds of support," he said.

The first batch of Kobani-bound peshmerga troops landed in a private plane at Turkey's GAP Airport from Irbil International Airport early Wednesday, and then were stationed in the Suruç district of Turkey's border province Şanlıurfa. A separate truck convoy carrying heavy weaponry also entered Turkey on Wednesday via the Habur border crossing in the southeastern province of Şırnak. Barzani saıd that the Iraqi Kurdish parliament unanimously voted last week to send peshmerga forces through Turkey after foreign support was secured.

This is ATS .

edit on 29-11-2014 by 23432 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join