It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Payback to White Working Class That Voted for Them: Cut Earned Income Tax and Child Tax Credit

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
WOW........I can't believe what I just read......Republicans are getting back at Obama for his solo maneuver on immigration by sticking it to the working class; namely the working class Whites who voted for them in the last election. Repubs. say that the move is an effort to stop illegals who will get amnesty from Obama from taking advantage of the Earned Income Tax and Child Tax Credit but, come on...........really?

The emerging tax legislation would make permanent 10 provisions, including an expanded research and development tax credit, which businesses and the Obama administration have wanted to make permanent for years; a measure allowing small businesses to deduct virtually any investment; the deduction for state and local sales taxes; the American Opportunity Tax Credit for college costs; deductions for employer-provided mass transit; and four different breaks for corporate and charitable giving.
Smaller measures already passed by the Senate Finance Committee, from tax breaks for car-racing tracks to benefits for racehorse owners, would be extended for one year and retroactively renewed for the current tax year.
[snip] Left off were the two tax breaks valued most by liberal Democrats: a permanently expanded earned-income credit and a child tax credit for the working poor. Friday night, Republican negotiators announced they would exclude those measures as payback for the president's executive order on immigration, saying a surge of newly legalized workers would claim the credit, tax aides from both parties said.

I see what Republicans are trying to do but I think it's still a stupid move and the wrong move. Sure some will take advantage of it for the wrong reasons but there is always corruption in everything that humans do. I believe that there are just certain types of people whom are innately corrupt. That being said the Republicans will only serve to stir up their base; a base which is losing popularity in my opinion. What says ATS?

www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 29-11-2014 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Talk about biting the hand that voted for you...........

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
In 2012 Republicans attacked Obama saying he rose taxes by letting the Bush tax cuts expire. Apparently removing a tax break is tantamount to raising taxes. Haven't all of these Republicans signed a no tax increase for any reason pledge? By their own logic this action makes them all hypocrites.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Neither "side is doing the "Right Thing".
Sad to say, I am becoming disillusioned
with D.C. politics.

Every step forward presented recently
either results in gridlock or a
"Half Assed" version of their promise
to the actual American Taxpaying Voters.

It is really a disgrace and latent with
Moral Turpitude.
These Characteristics led to the Fall of Rome.
"History does not exactly repeat itself but it
certainly does rhyme". - Connecticut, U.S.A.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

EITC is not middle class, I have an incredibly awful paying job and do not qualify. Child tax credit would be lowered to what it used to be, not done away with, and middle class families will not notice much of a difference.

Not saying I agree or disagree, just this will not do much to the middle class.

Both sides are repulsive and could not care less about the middle class.
edit on 29-11-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

EITC is not middle class, I have an incredibly awful paying job and do not qualify. Child tax credit would be lowered to what it used to be, not done away with, and middle class families will not notice much of a difference.

So now the pledge is only for no tax increases to the middle class for any reason?

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   

I have no idea what their pledge is or why anyone would believe a pledge made by either party.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Why should people even get a child tax credit? It sickens me. Both of my brothers have 3-4 kids, and they each get like 10 k for tax return. They don't pay that much in. Why should people who chose not to have as many kids get screwed? If you want kids, pay for them yourselves.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

EITC is very much a middle class tax break.

EITC (wikipedia)

The United States federal earned income tax credit or earned income credit (EITC or EIC) is a refundable tax credit for low to moderate income working individuals and couples—particularly those with children. The amount of EITC benefit depends on a recipient’s income and number of children. For a person or couple to claim one or more persons as their qualifying child(ren), the relationship, age, and shared residency requirements must be met, as well as some other requirements. In the 2013 tax year, working families with children that have annual incomes below $37,870 to $51,567 (depending on the number of dependent children) may be eligible for the federal EITC.

You better believe a married couple earning 37K to 50K or less is middle class. Time to take the rose-colored glasses off, the middle class and below just got a big middle finger from the REPUBLICAN PARTY.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
And this is where both the parties fail. Never should bills be passed for payback against the *other* sides actions. It's not a valid plan and should never be part of the process. Any and all politicians who base their bills for these type of reasons, or vote for bills for those reasons, have lost site of their purpose as representatives of the people. They've lost the focus of the people. This is disgusting. Punish the many for the possibility of legal usage by a few.

It hasn't even been a month since the elections and they're (Repubs) already cutting their noses off to spite their faces. AKA screwing over Joe/Jane Citizen once again.
edit on 29-11-2014 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

I disagree with your calling a couple making 40-50k a year middle class. They are working poor. 50k a year less taxes means a bring home of well less than 2000 a month. Now figure home, car, utilities and they have no money....ever. That is not what i call middle class.

Lowering the eitc or ctc raises the tax liability of the poor, also not true. Tax liability is based on income, and only deductions can lower income. They can still claim dependency for children. In reality, all it does is take away the benefit of having multiple children to get an inordinately large return. That is called a subsidy. And Taking away subsidies is ok with me.

Just my opinion, not trying to offend.

eta---I hate both parties btw, they are both there to milk and destroy the population and the Country for their own benefit. Gov't of the people, by the people, and for the people has not happened since Corporations were allowed to BUY the Gov't...also IMO
edit on 11-29-2014 by Zona because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Beg to differ. Yes, it will. Without it, we are facing a bad situation in my family.

There is no help in America for the middle class (with the possible exception of the dreaded ACA) and one thing we know is absolutely true: those who voted for this law will NOT BE AFFECTED by it in any way. Income inequality will now get another boost! Oh joy!!

So of course they don't care. Kill the "big government" even if it creates more pain and poverty; it's an ideological thing.

It won't hurt them one bit personally, and the lines are so drawn people will blame Obama for it because somehow he "forced" them to do what that have Ebel slavering to do of a loonnnnggg time. *sigh*

Why do I keep fighting to pay taxes anyway? The continued scheme of "trickle up" economics continues. Business as usual.

AB

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
So let's see if I have the double standards correct - if the GOP does something like this, then both parties are evil. But if the Dems do it, then they and only they are evil and the sainted GOP are never mentioned.

This post is a classic example. The GOP just decided to screw taxpayers - mostly white middle to lower class taxpayers with children - on the EITC, yet in the same bill they are extending massive tax cuts to certain GOP-favored businesses. But the common refrain from their supporter is "Oh well, both parties are evil..."

PS they are also talking about extending tax breaks to "car-racing tracks" and to "benefits for racehorse owners." Yep, working class families with children get their tax break nixed by the GOP but racehorse owners get extended benefits.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zona

I disagree with your calling a couple making 40-50k a year middle class. They are working poor. 50k a year less taxes means a bring home of well less than 2000 a month. Now figure home, car, utilities and they have no money....ever. That is not what i call middle class.

Lowering the eitc or ctc raises the tax liability of the poor, also not true. Tax liability is based on income, and only deductions can lower income. They can still claim dependency for children. In reality, all it does is take away the benefit of having multiple children to get an inordinately large return. That is called a subsidy. And Taking away subsidies is ok with me.

Just my opinion, not trying to offend.

eta---I hate both parties btw, they are both there to milk and destroy the population and the Country for their own benefit. Gov't of the people, by the people, and for the people has not happened since Corporations were allowed to BUY the Gov't...also IMO

I think you are overestimating how much a person or household makes in the U.S. in part because of how skewed the averages are. Those who have a lot of money have a hell of a lot of money. This greatly distorts the income picture. Instead, look at the median incomes.

Income and Earnings
According to this report, median individual income in the U.S. in 2010 was $26,989 and the median household income was $51,017. Compare that to the mean individual income of $40,563 and mean household income of $71,274, and you see just how heavily skewed those numbers are. The mean is 150% greater than the median for individuals and 140% greater for households.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Why would they do this?

I keep thinking, seeing, reading, hearing that republicans are for lower taxes for most people...yet....they actions don't back this up?

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
Why would they do this?

I keep thinking, seeing, reading, hearing that republicans are for lower taxes for most people...yet....they actions don't back this up?

They just yell louder.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Is there a link to the actual proposals and legislation?

Has Obama said he would veto this thing?

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zona

I disagree with your calling a couple making 40-50k a year middle class. They are working poor. 50k a year less taxes means a bring home of well less than 2000 a month.

That may be what you think, but middle class has a definition (kind of). Also that's more than 2000 a month, 2000 a month would be 24k per year. You're looking at closer to 3500-4000 per month for that range.

Anyways there's no official definition for the middle class but statisticians most often define middle class as 67% to 200% of the median income. With our median income being 50,000 per year that places middle class at 33k to 100k though that's a national average and will be higher or lower in certain areas. In San Francisco the median income is $78k which would place middle class at 52k-156k and in my town where the median income is about 14,500 (not even what you would get from full time minimum wage) so middle class is 10k-29k.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Regular people still think the GOP cares about them? lol

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Regular people still think the GOP cares about them? lol

I think anyone with a relatively normal IQ knows that the politicians are only in it for themselves. Doesn't matter what party is in they bow to their lobby masters.

Sad affair for sure.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join