It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS evolving into something different?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
i think it's a combination of a few things , namely most of the conspiracy theory's have been covered here on ATS many times fold . i have noticed an influx of news ( i that that's a good thing) . i don't mind it because it's a constant flow of information coming in from around the world ,keeps us busy really ..

i kind of like the idea that if a major story breaks it can be posted here and put on the chopping block so to speak .
where else on the internet can you find this kind of stuff ?

you can always head over to DiscloseTV and rumble with all the other nuts over there , Whom are about 5 years behind in the conspiracy world.

things change , critical thinking can take on many different forms . you can always pull up an old conspiracy and have a go at it ?.

i am just thankful i am part of a Top Tier critical thinking tank .

just saying , ATS is still creme of the crop in the conspiracy world hands down ,and who knows 5 years from now it can be something greater !

i dono about you but i pride my self on knowing the truth on most of the major conspiracy's out there ,while the rest of the world struggles to keep up

we have a good thing here ...

Walsh
edit on 27-11-2014 by Walsh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I am in full agreement, as I said It was never intended as a negative but more as a positive in that ATS is becoming more aware of what is more real and important.

If theres any mods mooching about on this thread that have access to stats over the years I would love to see how it trends given everything that comes along.

a reply to: Walsh

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Jainine

as absurd as some of the conspiracy theories(which is what this site is supposed to be for) are, the freedom to explore them, was part of what made this place great...investigate the possibilities, present information, and let the community decide if the notion passed the smell test....

i mean, take the JFK assassination for instance. there are those who find the notion that there was a conspiracy to kill kennedy, absurd....they believe oswald did it all by himself, and that things happened exactly as the government says they did....and most people thought like this for a long time....but it's become more mainstream to believe that he was killed not by oswald, but by a cabal of bankers, corporate interests, politicians, and our own intelligence apparatus, and that oswald was a patsy....a convenient scapegoat.

if the owners of this site personally believed that the notion of a conspiracy to kill kennedy was absurd, i'm sure threads about that would be dropped in [HOAX] [L-O-L]. or 404'ed as well...after all, he was a sitting president, and a damned decent one....a bit more respect is warranted, right?

at the end of the day, what we can discuss, whether it's a completely legal topic, is determined by the site owners...so our ability to have constructive conversations, is hobbled by their personal beliefs.

that's my point....not that i believe, or that everyone believes whatever weird theory is suggested here, is real, true, or even plausible...but that we should be able to suggest a theory, present information, brainstorm, work it to it's logical conclusion, and then let the community decide....it's all about critical thinking.
edit on 11-27-2014 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I identify with you sentiment but will make a statement in the next post seperating my OP with your opinion.

This is not a distaction or disagreement with your opinion just a seperation.

a reply to: Daedalus

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
I am in full agreement, as I said It was never intended as a negative but more as a positive in that ATS is becoming more aware of what is more real and important.

If theres any mods mooching about on this thread that have access to stats over the years I would love to see how it trends given everything that comes along.

oh no doubt i am with you on that

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

1) "More real?" Are some things more real than others?
2) "Important" may be a somewhat subjective criterion

Any stats based on those criteria would be suspect.

edit on 11/27/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Skeptics still get labeled as shills and trolls, so I would say ATS is about the same as it has been.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Hi there Phage I meant that Ats seems to be going more in the way of political and social subjects that can be debated and argued with rational and science and less towards the highly speculative and extreme opinion.

I have noted over the years that you tend to use research and science to back up your posts.

It was an observation that I wished to share.

a reply to: Phage

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Hi there Phage I meant that Ats seems to be going more in the way of political and social subjects that can be debated and argued with rational and science and less towards the highly speculative and extreme opinion.

I don't agree.

But highly speculative topics and opinions don't really allow so much for discussion as they do for agreement. So you end up with, "Yes, I agree" or "Huh?" There isn't much meat there. You can go the "what if" route, of course, but if the root idea is nothing but speculative it again doesn't leave much for discussion. If, on the other hand, the speculation has some factual basis (is that what you mean by "real") there is something to discuss. Speculation based on extrapolation is fine, but it does have to allow for criticism as well as other interpretations and varying directions of speculation.

All too often when someone complains about being "shot down", it means someone has pointed out contradictions or inconsistencies in their speculation. Speculation is fine but it doesn't mean that critical thinking goes out the window . I think critical thinking always has a place, a primary place; be it in political discussion, social discussion, or discussion of speculative topics.

In my time on ATS (shorter than many) if there has been any consistent change, it has been a reduced tendency to engage in critical thinking. An increased tendency to disregard opposing opinion (not to mention facts).

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I have no reason to disagree with your opinion, as I said in the OP ATS seems to me to be evolving into something else.

I have no issue with this. I myself have found my opinions changing over the years. As you should see from prior posts I was not complaing but simply asking a question.

In your opinion do you feel that ATS is/has changed over the past five years and what is your opinion on those changes(If any).

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
after a hiatus of a year or more i also noticed a change.
seems far more civil as far as some of the nastiness that i used to see.
i was wondering if the mods banned a bunch of the more uncivil posters..

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
As I said, I do think there has been a change. I've posted on more than one occasion about it. I think that the advent of social media (spurred by mobile devices), and the "adaptation" (pandering?) of ATS to it has a lot to do with the trend I perceive.

Of course, if something doesn't change in 5 years there is something very odd going on.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
But highly speculative topics and opinions don't really allow so much for discussion as they do for agreement. So you end up with, "Yes, I agree" or "Huh?" There isn't much meat there. You can go the "what if" route, of course, but if the root idea is nothing but speculative it again doesn't leave much for discussion. If, on the other hand, the speculation has some factual basis (is that what you mean by "real") there is something to discuss. Speculation based on extrapolation is fine, but it does have to allow for criticism as well as other interpretations and varying directions of speculation.

In what way do speculative topics not allow for discussion? That seems absurd to me.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: LiveForever8

Did you read what you quoted?

So you end up with, "Yes, I agree" or "Huh?"

That is not a discussion.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Would you not say that the Skunk works and grey area should be left to there own devices though?

I have no issue with other forums and the need to provide evidence or rational but these to me seem to be the forums that have suffered most in the transition.

I personally miss crazy "out there" skunk works posts that can be made without being "shot down"?

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I pretty much stay away from those forums for that reason. Try to, anyway.

Define "shot down." I'm not talking about downright rudeness. I agree there is an abundance of that and along with the growth of ATS, it becomes more difficult for mods to deal with. Does introducing critical thought constitute a shoot down?

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Yes, I did read what I quoted, which is why I asked the question. I just thought it a little silly that you believe that the only responses to speculative topics/ideas is to say either "Yes, I agree" or "Huh?" Maybe I have misunderstood or perhaps you have oversimplified but for me speculative topics are the ones that should garner the most discussion.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
ATS is devolving!

Embrace ignorance and sensational news.

Less and less informative and interesting articles these days.

Cops killing and maiming, people killing and maiming, rocks on mars that look like faces, is not news to me.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: LiveForever8
i.e. "I am an alien hybrid."

What is there to discuss? Other than, "cool" or "you're nuts?"

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
I pretty much stay away from those forums for that reason. Try to, anyway.

Define "shot down." I'm not talking about downright rudeness. I agree there is an abundance of that and along with the growth of ATS, it becomes more difficult for mods to deal with. Does introducing critical thought constitute a shoot down?

Not at all, I personally hit a link for a dubious header and assume you wil be along soon to ask a few questions or point a couple of things out and know it will be done and dusted.

I guess I just miss crazy skunkworks threads.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join