It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Station's 3-D Printer Pops Out It's First Creation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Take heed ATS.........This is an important advancement! The first 3-D printed object in Space was printed last week, and the implications are enormous. This can be the start of a new era in the developing and the opening of Space. 3-D printing in Space will bring cost(s) way down for future colonization efforts and manufacturing. The first object to be printed is a faceplate however, I think soon scientists will be able to easily build and add extensions to the ISS, build massive Orbiting Space Depots, etc...

The 3-D printer delivered to the International Space Station two months ago made a sample replacement part for itself this week. It churned out a new faceplate for the print head casing.

Space station commander Butch Wilmore removed the small plastic creation from the printer Tuesday, a day after its manufacture.

It will be much easier to build an infrastruccture for Space with 3-D printing capability. 4-D would be even better. What says ATS?

news.yahoo.com...
edit on 26-11-2014 by lostbook because: word add

edit on 26-11-2014 by lostbook because: word change

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
So it was used to make something that space station didn't even need. What a waste of taxpayer money and the technology itself.

When it actually makes something that is needed I'll be impressed.

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Starrunner
So it was used to make something that space station didn't even need. What a waste of taxpayer money and the technology itself.

Well, there it is folks. The "waste of taxpayer money" response. Give yourself a pat on the back, Starrunner.

I'm constantly amazed by certain individuals who are too short sighted to see why space exploration and experimentation are vital to the survival and prosperity of the human species. I can think of many things that taxpayer money is used for that are far bigger wastes. War. Fat pensions and expense accounts for politicians. Bureaucracies. Military equipment for civilian police forces. The list goes on.

Comparatively speaking, the amount of taxpayer money being spent on space exploration and research is a pittance. If anything, mankind could benefit from spending MORE on such endeavors, and less on developing new ways to kill.

At least this guy gets it:

rt.com...
edit on 27-11-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

I agree with you that space exploration is beneficial to humanity.

More money, though? Any look at any government run program will tell you that's not the answer.

Let the space communities work with what they have, seems they haven't been doing too bad with the resources they get.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz
a reply to: DeadSeraph

I agree with you that space exploration is beneficial to humanity.

More money, though? Any look at any government run program will tell you that's not the answer.

Let the space communities work with what they have, seems they haven't been doing too bad with the resources they get.

Let scientists still reduce urine and look on in wonder at the sparky white lights, oh they will be happy with that, they will be as magicians. Who needs advances in science.

Let doctors continue to grind plants into a pulp and hope for the best, when treating Mr Derward Bumbleberry and his much maligned malady. Oh he will endure fevers and go blind, but he will pull through eh wot !! Who needs advances in medicine.

Let all of humanity sit down and shut up, put the telly on and gawk at your lot. Who needs advances.

Personally, I like the idea that to do big things, you need to make small advances.

No go eat your raw meat and berries.

edit on 27-11-2014 by sn0rch because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Automated habitat printing and assembly is what I would like to see this turn into. Perhaps that is how some of those reported gigantic structures on the moon were made by, but I doubt we are near that level of technology by centuries..

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

The tech is still slow. But I look forward to having one of these by my side when it'll get much more advanced in the future.

Self-repairing machines is what I am really looking forward to.

edit on 27-11-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   

How would one print in the 4th dimension? That really would be something.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

The fourth dimension is Time.

A 4-D printer would simply be a a printer which prints a 3-D object and makes it change with time.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   

This will do nothing to reduce the actual cost of spaceflight, as it will cost just as much to loft the raw material as it does the finished object.On the other hand, this will make living in space much more convenient.If the knob that flushes the space toilet breaks off, you won't need to wait for the next supply run to replace it.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

That makes more sense, i was imagining some form of printer that prints an object into next week, or last week for that matter.

Since most objects printed or othewise change given enouth time would that not mean all printers are 4-D capable?
edit on 27-11-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
Since most objects printed or othewise change given enouth time would that not mean all printers are 4-D capable?

Perhaps, but then the printer is not in direct control of the change, whereas a true 4-D printer would make sure given shapes arise at the given time.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

The capabilitys of a 4-D printer, in my opinion sound a lot more like a Von Neumann machine than the average every day run of the mill 3-D printer. Considering said device would most lightly have the capability to reproduce itself if it also had the capability to make changes.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

You could be right.

The future proves to be rather interesting...

Self replication would cross one of the many rifts that serparates biological life from machines.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

I imagine they would also, given enough time, cross the rifts between the stars. Technology such as this taken to its logical conclusion could facilitate and bring about a Galactic civilization. Certainly adds some flavor regarding Fermi's paradox.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

This will do nothing to reduce the actual cost of spaceflight, as it will cost just as much to loft the raw material as it does the finished object.On the other hand, this will make living in space much more convenient.If the knob that flushes the space toilet breaks off, you won't need to wait for the next supply run to replace it.

Actually, it will reduce costs. Instead of multiple trips, using more and more fuel, you make one trip with the supplies and print out what you need.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The fools.
Why didn't they print parts for a hand gun, no one could raid them in space so they would have got away with it. By the way that statement was a joke.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Ah yes, damn those fools doing tests and prototype, they should just make stuff! Why, had the first time they tried and failed at electricity, they should have just quit right there, because whatever they were using obviously costed no more to develop, and surely was adequate enough! Fools...

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
we should send a carefully picked team of DC pundits...
www.spacedaily.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Seeing as it is NEW tec it would be pretty stupid to use the printer for the first time to print something important in case it goes wrong!

They are just testing this new piece of tec out. If i proves reliable the you will see it make important things.

<<   2 >>

join