It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TIPS !

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I think you will find that the OP is in the UK where it's a different method and tipping is at the diners discretion.

a reply to: tadaman

link   
a reply to: Denoli

are you sure? Have you ever went out in Europe?

I can tell you, they try to dump tables and customers on people because even if they work more or less the pay is the same. In the US we have people FIGHTING over customers and looking for ways to excel as servers to make that extra bit of money. Also, have you seen an average food or drink bill in Europe?

You have to know what you are talking about. I think that is reasonable. You dont have valid opinions on how to run a mechanic shop do you?

edit on 11 24 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Denoli

originally posted by: tadaman

Then dont go out.

OR tell your favorite restaurant to factor in the servers pay into the cost. You will be surprised how much more that would cost.

This is all like arguing about medical procedures without even being so much as a nurse.

Being a customer is NOT a qualification to tell people how to run an industry you know NOTHING ABOUT.

They guy who's paying the bill doesn't have to have a qualification !
I'd rather pay 50 dollar off the bat instead of 35 plus tips !

But what if you got poor service and you wanted to let the server know that? You leave a dollar for them to get your point across that you felt their service sucked. It's a direct reflection on how good you feel you were treated. You are in control of how you show appreciation. And I guarantee the servers in the industry know this and those who wish to make good money, bend over backwards to ensure you have a pleasant dining experience.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

a reply to: Grovit

So you do tip....yet you are arguing against it here.

i am not arguing against tipping.

i am saying that a tip should not be expected automatically....a tip is an incentive to do well...

i also do not tip based on the cost of my meal....

youre in the industry and have an opinion about all of this....why have you not answered the question i asked 10 times?

why an i expected to tip more if my meal costs more? it is the same service if i order a hot dog or lobster

do you not have a reasonable answer for this? you have addressed everything else in this thread except this question

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Again I am pretty sure the OP is in England, see previous posts

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

why an i expected to tip more if my meal costs more? it is the same service if i order a hot dog or lobster

If your meal costs more then the MORE I assume is the cost of service. You then dont have to tip like in Europe.

I dont think you are asking why lobster costs more are you?

The waiter doesnt care if you order a hot dog or a lobster. They are there all the same. If you walk into the business to sit and enjoy your meal you would expect the same service no matter what you order wouldnt you? Then pay the tip no matter what you order.

You do realize that its a percentage of your bill...whether its 10 dollars or 100....same percentage.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I have no problem tipping a waiter/waitress at a sit-down restaurant. I'm a pretty good tipper - I usually tip 15% for mediocre service, and I have been known to tip up to 25% for exceptional service.... HOWEVER, my husband, daughter and I went to a brew pub just last night that was a walk-up-to-the-counter type of place. We ordered our drinks and pizza at the counter. We get the drinks right away, but were given a little sign thingie to set on our table so someone could bring the pizza to us. That's the only service we get. I had to pay up front at the counter when we ordered it, so the girl gives me the ticket to sign and I sign it. She looks at the ticket... stares at it with a sad frown on her face. I didn't know what the hell I had done wrong, until I took the ticket and looked at it. There was a place for putting a tip. Really???? I'm supposed to tip ahead of time for someone to throw the pizza on our table? No other service. If we want another beer, we have to go back up to the counter. If we want water, we have to go to the beverage dispenser and fill it ourselves. Why exactly am I supposed to tip in that case?

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

If your meal costs more then the MORE I assume is the cost of service. You then dont have to tip like in Europe.

I dont think you are asking why lobster costs more are you?

i honestly cant follow what you are saying...
a more expensive meal does not equal more expensive/better/more service....

i am not asking why lobster cost more?
i am asking why i am expected to tip more if i order something that cost more?

the service does not change. does not get better....
the product cost more.....

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

The waiter doesnt care if you order a hot dog or a lobster. They are there all the same.

youre right...they are there all the same...doing the same thing...giving the same service...

just like they dont care if i order a hot dog or lobster, neither do i....

i dont get why they think they will get a bigger tip if my meal cost more?

there is no logic or good explanation for that.....

it makes no sense...

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Sir, it is a percentage no matter the bill..

If the bill is 100 dollars you pay 10-20%.....if its 10 dollars you pay 10-20%

How is that hard to grasp?

You can feign ignorance or really be this dense, but if you go out and SPEND MORE, then you should tip more.

Do you even know what a waiter does? Lets say you order a burger compared to a steak...do you know the different steps a good waiter goes through for you in each?

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

You do realize that its a percentage of your bill...whether its 10 dollars or 100....same percentage.

i do realize that...which is why i dont tip based on a percentage..
i tip what i decide to tip....

me ordering more expensive food does not mean the wait staff deserves more....

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I'm in the uk .
If I have a problem , I go directly to the manager and tell them !

If in the USA why don't u do the same and tell them there not doing there job properly !
And I didn't know they didn't have a minimum wage for catering staff !
Where's the problem there ?
Is it ?
A the government
b the server
C the owner
D the customer
Or D-Z the government ?

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Do you even know what a waiter does? Lets say you order a burger compared to a steak...do you know the different steps a good waiter goes through for you in each?

If you order a burger or a lobster I would serve it all the same then.

You would then complain that I treated you differently. You also paid for lesser service.

You want me to check for your foods temperature every 5 minutes in the kitchen, make sure your sides are perfect, make sure your glass is never empty, make sure any allergies were followed, manke sure that a special event goes flawlessly, make sure you are completely served well? That takes time and service on my part that I could give to another table who is not a cheap and spiteful person screwing over the working class. Tell your server and let him make ends meat and dont steal his service.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
As long as service is good I tip 20%.
If it's really bad, then nothing.
But almost always 20%.
I have no problem with this.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

First, I didn't say livable wage. I said decent wage which should be at least as much as the rest of us have to pay our employees. So don't confuse me with the idiots screaming for a $15 minimum wage.

Second, my first profession was as a chef, so I do know what I'm talking about. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if you're one of the owners that replaced me with a line cook after designing you a kick ass menu and implementing portion control and date dotting systems.

My problem is with this myth that customers should pay more for quality service. In any other business, if an employee doesn't do the job they are hired to do, and do it well, they are fired.

Tell me, if your $2.15 an hour waitress works 40 hours in a slow week and only takes home $100 in tips, do you make up the difference to bring her up to minimum wage? I seriously doubt it.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

You can feign ignorance or really be this dense, but if you go out and SPEND MORE, then you should tip more.

No I don't know and don't have to !
Do I know what they do to change my gearbox ? No
Why should I ?

link   

i understand...it just does not hold water for me and i dont play that game.
i should not have to tip more if i spend more...

i do not know every little step, but feel free to run it down...

im trying to figure how bringing me a plate with a lobster on it is more involved than bringing me a plate with a hot dog on it...

same goes for booze...

how is it more involved to bring a table of 5, 5 mixed drinks than it is to being 5 cokes?

i really dont think it is

link   

i understand...it just does not hold water for me and i dont play that game.
i should not have to tip more if i spend more...

i do not know every little step, but feel free to run it down...

im trying to figure how bringing me a plate with a lobster on it is more involved than bringing me a plate with a hot dog on it...

same goes for booze...

how is it more involved to bring a table of 5, 5 mixed drinks than it is to being 5 cokes?

i really dont think it is

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

You would have to know if you try to give advice on how to run it wouldnt you.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

You want me to check for your foods temperature every 5 minutes in the kitchen, make sure your sides are perfect, make sure your glass is never empty, make sure any allergies were followed, manke sure that a special event goes flawlessly, make sure you are completely served well? That takes time and service on my part that I could give to another table who is not a cheap and spiteful person screwing over the working class. Tell your server and let him make ends meat and dont steal his service.

keep on babbling....not ever customer is like that...

you keep going on and on about working class.....boo hoo for you..

im not some white collar jp morgan executive.....im an iron worker....foundry work....i know all about working class so save it

not my fault you picked food service as your profession....if it sucks so bad then quit....your finances and what you pull down per shift is not my problem and of zero concern to me...

when i go out to eat with my family is it to get some grub and enjoy the time out....my goal is not to support you..

im not against tipping...i am also not for tips being automatic.....

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join