It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sorry for another grovit movie thread...but 'predestination'..a review

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
www.imdb.com...

PREDESTINATION chronicles the life of a Temporal Agent sent on an intricate series of time-travel journeys designed to ensure the continuation of his law enforcement career for all eternity. Now, on his final assignment, the Agent must pursue the one criminal that has eluded him throughout time.
------------

this is based off a short story called all you zombies, written in 1 day in 1958.

i love movies that deal with time travel and this is right up there at the top of the list for me, next to 12 monkeys.

the description reads like it is going to be crazy, matrix style action.....if thats what youre looking for, this movie is not it.

there are time travel scenes, special effects and such but very little on screen action.

it is 80% dialogue/flashback/flash forward....its fantastic...

it deals with a predestination paradox.....

this is definitely a unique film.....i say it is a must watch for any sci fi/paradox film fan....

sarah snook did a fantastic job....

the big twist/reveal was awesome...i thought i had it figured out, but only partially....

please check this film out.....it is even more impressive knowing the story was written in 1 day and so long ago.

while the story was titled all you zombies, it has nothing to do with zombies as we know today....

edit on 23-11-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Yeah watched this last night - quite enjoyed it.
Definitely a good film and some interesting ideas, worth a watch for sure.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

i watched it last night too..
let me ask, did you figure it out? all of it i mean....

i had a partial lock on it......

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
SPOILER ALERT:

really not the best of stories.....

So im still trying to understand what is the starting point of all of this was.... it was basically the same person just in different times... kinda in a loop, like a snake chasing its own tail.

could've been better imho.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: combatmaster
... it was basically the same person just in different times... kinda in a loop, like a snake chasing its own tail.

spolier....

thats exactly it...the snake eating its tail forever analogy was used in the movie too.

thats why its a paradox......

it was eluded to several times in the movie.....the snake/tail analogy
the song on the juke box
him asking which came first, chicken or egg
in the bar her saying some things are inevitable

he/she was the only person like themselves.....thats the paradox

when he first jumped with her/him from the bar to the night she met the person that got her pregnant, he tricked her. he told her it was to stop the fizzle bomber. it was really for him to ensure his own survival...

its hard to explain. theyre all the same person

he jumped with her/him from the bar to the night she met the person who would get her pregnant. he told it it was to stop the bomber but he lied. he needed to make sure they met so he could exist.

the her from the bar met the stranger....the her from the bar got pregnant(by the stranger who is actually her/him from the future)....
you follow

she/he was both male and female....the future he got the past she pregnant, though they are the same person....

the baby, the lady in the space program training, the guy from the bar talking to ethan hawke, ethan hawke, and the fizzle bomber are all the same person.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I watched this last night...nearly made a thread myself on it, I thought it was brilliant.

That said, it also had a predictability to it, which didn't detract from the film, but I can't say I was shocked with the twists in the plot.

I took from it they were all the same person too.

edit on 23-11-2014 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: solargeddon

I took from it they were all the same person too.

spoiler

thats cause they are...its not an opinion..

within the first 2 minutes i knew ethan hawke was the bomber.....when she/he was at the bar talking to ethan hawke, telling her story trying to win the bottle i figured she was a he/she

i did not guess that they were all the same person....

pretty damn cool

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

Watched this last night and I have to say it was well made but so confusing.

Had to back track many times to catch the brain farts.

Kinda like these:

1. Pointing to a man in a photography, a woman said ,”His brother’s father is the only son of my grandfather, “How is the woman related to the man in the photograph ?
A. Mother
B. Sister
C. Aunt
D. Daughter
E. Grandmother
2. Pointing to a person, Rohit said to Neha, “His mother is the only daughter of your father.” How is Neha related to the person ?
A. Aunt
B. Mother
C. Daughter
D. Wife
E. None of these
3. Introducing a girl, Vipin said ,”Her mother is the only daughter of my mother –in-Law.” How is Vipin related to the girl ?
A. Uncle
B. Father
C. Brother
D. Husband
E. None of these
4. A told B, “Yesterday, I met the only brother of the daughter Of my grandmother.” Whom did A meet ?
A. Cousin
B. Brother
C. Nephew
D. Son
E. Father
5. Pointing to a man in the park, Naman said, “His son is my son’s uncle.” How is the man related to Naman ?
A. Uncle
B. Grandfather
C. None of these
D. Brother
E. Father
6. Neelam, who is Rohit’s daughter, says to Indu, “Your mother Reeta is the younger sister of my father, who is the third child of Sohanji.” How is Sohanji related to Indu ?
A. Maternal-uncle
B. Father
C. Grandfather
D. Father-in-Law
E. None of these
7. Introducing a man, a woman said, “His wife is the only daughter of my father.” How is the man related to the woman ?
A. Husband
B. Brother
C. Father-in-Law
D. Maternal –Uncle
E. None of these
8. A mand said to a lady ,”Your mother’s husband’s sister is my aunt. “How is the lady related to the man ?
A. Daughter
B. Sister
C. Granddaughter
D. Mother
E. Aunt
9. Pointing to a man, a woman said ,” He is the brother of my uncle’s daughter.” How is the man related to woman ?
A. Cousin
B. Son
C. Brother-in-Law
D. Nephew
E. Uncle
10. Pointing to a photograph, a person says to his friend, “She is the granddaughter of the elder brother of my father.” How is the girl in the photograph related to the man ?
A. Niece
B. Sister
C. Aunt
D. Sister-in-Law
E. Maternal-aunt
11. Pointing towards a person in a photograph , Raman said, “She is the only daughter of the mother of my brother’s sister.” How is that person related to Raman ?
A. Uncle
B. Father
C. Mother
D. Cousin
E. None of these
12. Pointing to a lady ,a man said ,”The son of her only brother is the brother of my wife.” How is the lady related to the man?
A. Mother’s sister
B. Grandmother
C. Sister of father-in-Law
D. Mother-in-Law
E. Maternal-aunt
13. Pointing to a man on a photograph Reena said, “His mother’s only daughter is my mother.” How is Reena related to the man ?
A. Nephew
B. Sister
C. Niece
D. Wife
E. Granddaughter
14. AXB means A is the sister of B, A÷B means A is the daughter of B, A-B means A is the son of B. On the basis of this information you have to tell, how is P related to S in the relationship P-QXR÷S ?
A. Brother
B. Son
C. Grandson
D. Cousin
E. Daughter’s son

www.proprofs.com...

Peace

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

whoa it looks great. I will watch it now.

Thanks!

EDIT TO ADD:
OK, This is one of the best time travel movies ever made. HOLY CRAP that was good. So many levels, so much to consider, I am delightfully occupied in thought.

Its a must watch.

edit on 11 23 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

SPOILER ALERT:

I was about to start a Thread on this Movie myself.

I just finished watching it.... and you beat me to it.

I never saw your Thread either before watching it, so a coincidence or not?

He kissed himself but did he have sex with himself? Did she become pregnant? Also, what would have happened if she did get pregnant again? Iwanted to see more actually... because 'Hawkes' character killed himself.... so I wanted to know if the future worked out differently for both.
edit on CSTSun, 23 Nov 2014 16:22:39 -06000000003004x039x0 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

How about a spoiler alert at the top of that post?

Just saying.

edit on 11 23 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I thought at first that 'Hawkes' was both.... before and after the explosion (Had surgery to become 'Hawkes' character but then i thought... na, there 2 different people and that's how I watched the rest of the Film!

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Sorry. Should I delete that post? i just wanted to ask a couple questions

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

He kissed himself but did he have sex with himself? Did she become pregnant? Also, what would have happened if she did get pregnant again? Iwanted to see more actually... because 'Hawkes' character killed himself.... so I wanted to know if the future worked out differently for both.

spoiler

i dont know how you missed it....
yes, he/she got himself/herself pregnant.

robertson(ethan hawkes boss) said to him..."youre a gift....the only one...free of history and family...given to us through a predestination paradox"

ethan hawke killed his future self(the fizzle bomber) in the laundromat....then he(ethan hawke) becomes that future self..
thats the whole predestination thing...several times it was said that some things are inevitable...

the events keep happening.....

he jumped back to 1963 the first time when the future jane(that is now john) met the 1963 jane as she was coming out of class.....
at that point the future jane(now john) saw that it was her/his past self yet still made the choice to have sex with her......it was all predestined to happen....

tadaman, glad you liked it....i thought it was awesome too....it was refreshing to not have it be all about action and effects.....i think sarah snook has a bright career ahead of her

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I thought at first that 'Hawkes' was both.... before and after the explosion (Had surgery to become 'Hawkes' character but then i thought... na, there 2 different people and that's how I watched the rest of the Film!

spoiler

you were wrong then...
ethan hawke, jane, john, the baby, the person who got 1963 jane pregnant, the bomber.....all the same person

looked like female jane till after the birth/operation...then looked like male jane(john)....after explosion and reconstruction surgery looks like ethan hawke....

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Nah man, just edit it and put the words SPOILER up top.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

you were wrong then...
ethan hawke, jane, john, the baby, the person who got 1963 jane pregnant, the bomber.....all the same person

looked like female jane till after the birth/operation...then looked like male jane(john)....after explosion and reconstruction surgery looks like ethan hawke....

Yeah, reason being it took quite a while before the 'Transporter' came into play... they were chatting at the Bar for 45 mins!

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
a reply to: blupblup

i watched it last night too..
let me ask, did you figure it out? all of it i mean....

i had a partial lock on it......

It's all pretty much explained in the movie to be fair.. I wasn't left scratching my head.
Ethan Hawke was dealing with multiple versions of himself at different stages in his life and in different ways.

Very weird film but yeah, pretty sure it all made sense.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
My wife and I had well figured out they were all the same person well before the plot was revealed, although something no one on here has mentioned or asked, is something, that I could perhaps consider a flaw in the movie unless im missing something...

john and jane are the same person. They made a baby together, in the future, ethan, who is also the same person jumps back in time snatches the baby and leaves it at the orphanage.... alll great except.... the baby had to exist and grow up to be jane before she could get pregnant and be become a man, to later impregnate herself.... in other words, none of them could have ever existed.... does anyone understand what im ssaying?? what am I missing??

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: kcscott11

i think we all understand and youre not missing anything.
thats the point...the predestination paradox...
there was no first time...it just is and it will always be...

the whole snake eating its tail thing...

when talking about this movie, dont think of time as linear like we know it..you know, moving forward...only forward and always forward.

the paradox in the movie deals with time as a closed loop...
it cant be explained and that is why it is a paradox....you follow?

everything in this movie is in a 'time loop' and will keep happening....

no other way to explain it because thats the only way....thats the paradox

edit on 27-11-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join