It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need help. I've fallen off the wagon...again

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
The thing is, if you had never smoked a day in your life, would you have been a dick that whole time?

I know it's too late for you, but this is why I pound into my 13-year-old daughter's head every chance I get - DON'T EVER START SMOKING!!!!!!!!!

I'm lucky - I took one puff of a cigarette when I was 12 - hated it, and never tried it again. I've always been curious - did smokers enjoy their first puff, or was it as awful as it was for me?

I hate the idea of being addicted to anything. I don't even do caffeine. I feel so sorry for my husband, who can't go a day without caffeine, or he starts getting headaches from hell. He constantly has a caffeinated drink in his hand, whether it's a diet coke or a cup of coffee -- all day long, every day. How terrible it must be to be so chained to something that you can't go one day without it.

I have no answers for you, but wish you well in your attempts to kick the habit. Don't give up.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Thank you everyone for their input. I'll be going down to a local head shop today to look into the better vape set ups. Lots of good advice here.

Still, it kind of irritates me that all I will be doing is exchanging one habit for another...but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right?

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

I know what you are going through. I quit about 8 times. the last one was about 15 years ago. Since quitting suck so terribly bad, I vowed to myself that I would never ever go through that again. So, either I quit, or I die with a cigarette in my mouth. I have a temper too and it can flare, but you can quit.

Just relax and remember, when you flip out, you look more like this guy than not.

Don't be that guy.

Set a date, put them in the trash, and never pick them up again.

Also, for the first three months, put the cash you would spend on cigarettes in a jar each day. At the end of the 3 months, count the money, laugh, and go buy yourself something nice.

And remember, help is only a U2U away. Lots of us know what you are going through.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
Thank you everyone for their input. I'll be going down to a local head shop today to look into the better vape set ups. Lots of good advice here.

Still, it kind of irritates me that all I will be doing is exchanging one habit for another...but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right?

Didn't you already try this route?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Two plus years since I've touched a cigarette and not even tempted.

I got the patch for the nicotine addiction and it weaned me off the drug part.

I use a disposable NO NICOTINE Ecigarette when I need to, like at the pub with my smoking mates. I haven't actually "needed" it in months, but it's in my pocket, every day, just in case. It looks after the physical habit part. The ritual and reflex part.

And the most important tool to quitting was the book, 'The Easy Way to quit'.

READ IT!

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Just relax and remember, when you flip out, you look more like this guy than not.

Don't be that guy.

I saw that video way back in the day when I was in the Army and going to night school for a criminal justice degree. It made me realize that I would never be a good LEO with my temper and all. That's a good cop...if it were me, it would have been all over the front page.
Needless to say, that was a career I didn't pursue.

I like to think of myself as a nice guy most times, but I have very little patience for people like that driver. My temper has bit me in the ass before.

Some people say they have a short fuse temper...I say I have a Det-Cord temper. I rarely see it coming. I just snap.
edit on 21-11-2014 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Yep, I've even tried a hypnotherapist. No dice. But then again, I have no idea if they were board certified.

A good hypnotherapist will work on more than just your smoking. They will ask questions, and will work with you through a handful of sessions. They will help you, help yourself. If there's no desire to quit. They can't make you do it. The good ones aren't cheap, but they're good at what they do. I've seen some amazing results from hypnotherapy. Smoking, pain control, phobias, and even abuse victims. That said. It doesn't work for everyone, and it's not a cure for all that ails you, but utilized properly, it can do wonders.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThePublicEnemyNo1

Hynotherpy....bahhhhhhh! Nope. It's up to you to quit. No one can make or help you quit smoking. You just gotta quit on your own. All that crap....the nicotine patches...the gum chewing, it doesn't work.

It's up to you. Just quit....give it up, it's all up to you and me

I hear this a lot from those who don't understand what it is, and how it works. It IS up to you to quit. That part is correct. And when you've made that decision. A good hypnotherapist can help you tremendously. I have seen what a good hypnotherapist can do firsthand. But as I said above. It's not for everyone. Partly because ignorance abounds when it comes to hypnosis and hypnotherapy.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Yea, I've always kind of thought of myself as a asshole. When I was younger, I was the anti-bully bully. I didn't start fights, but when I saw some one being bullied, I was all in.

I started smoking originally to fit in, be cool so to speak. But I also noticed that since I started smoking, I wasn't as confrontational and didn't get into fights that much anymore. I've often wondered if nicotine was my version of a ADD/ADHD type of drug.

Staying physically busy really helps me cut back...but since I've retired and then later on injured my back, staying busy is hard. I do realize it's a lose-lose situation that is my fault alone. And it is my duty to myself to rectify it.

I used to scoff at those that said quitting smoking was akin to some one going cold turkey off of heroin...but I can see the correlation now. It is hard and somewhat painful. I hate it that something has that kind of power over me.

It's a long road, but I intend to see it through. And good for you to have never picked up the habit. I hear that oxygen is good for you.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Are you sure you really want to quit?

I offered a suggestion that has worked for millions of people worldwide and you skipped over it without comment.

Quitting smoking is not nearly as hard as continuing to smoke.

Read the book.

www.theeasywaytostopsmoking.com...

Look at the testimonials from Sir Anthony Hopkins, David Blaine, Angelica Houston, Sir Richard Branson, Ellen Degeneres, Ashton Kutcher, Lou Reed, Stewart Copeland etc etc etc.

It works, if you work it.

Doing the same thing you've always done, doesn't.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Psynic

Thanks...I'll look into it. Count me lazy as well. No linky, no clicky.
Another option offered and well accepted.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Always possible. Pretty sure quite a few vets end up in police departments after their service. One of my friends who is a vet had a pretty major break and the police officers who arrived were very kind to him and his father. Can you get assigned a different counselor? Even I'm angry that the counselor is doing this. Out of all the appointments to miss, an appointment with a vet is not the one to go flaky on and persistently. The fact that you had a visit from the police for getting rightfully upset is pretty irritating, too. I'd be mad, too, and hell, I am mad because really, they should be doing so much better for you guys.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I'd say stop 'trying to quit'. The whole "I'm an addict" thing is a self fulfilling prophecy. Smoke when you want and maybe go for the anger thing first. What's so deep inside that makes you lose it? Work with that for awhile, but don't allow the 'addict' thing to take over ... say to yourself, "I am not an addict", 'cause you're not. You are a human who is choosing to smoke, simple as that. It releases a lot of # when you can say that. Sooner or later you'll get to the bottom of the anger/temper issue and the smoking will fade away on it's own.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

The thing with addiction is that it never completely goes away. That's the first thing to remember when approaching it.

Best way to go about quitting nicotine is to focus on certain lengths of time instead of "forever". If you focus on "forever" you will never successfully quit. I would also make the argument that it is better to quit for nine months then relapse for three then to smoke continuously for 12 months. So honestly if I were you, I'd just focus on quitting for a month at first and go from there.

Plus always have it in the back of your head that you can smoke if you really want to but also drive home that you have gone without it so why not one more day?

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: blujay

I don't lose it a whole lot, but when I do, it seems to make up for lost time. I also seem to calm down quickly as well. Because I realize what an ass I made of myself. But I have also used my anger towards positive purposes at times. But trurhfully, I don't know what causes my anger issues. Nothing deep seated that I know of. I can put up with a lot most times, but sometimes the littlest thing will set me off. I guess that makes me human. LOL

You're right though, I am at fault for picking up those smokes after having successfully quit. Boredom is my worst enemy right now. My back is feeling a lot better and hopefully I'll be joining the workforce again soon after two years of not having a job (as I've said, I'm retired and don't need a job, but I want one nonetheless). That alone would go a long way towards helping me maintain.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Yea, boredom will do it! You have an abundance of time.... I do, too. I'm not retired yet, just switching to different things. I've been practicing channeling my free time into something that I'll enjoy. Trick is what the hell do I enjoy now?
Not much in terms of what's available, so I've got to create something new!

Anyway, about the smoking, doesn't really matter. Smoke ... don't smoke. I think the worst thing is for people to think something is wrong with them because they smoke or drink or whatever. That in itself will keep them doing it. Addiction is just a way of serving the pleasure center in our brain.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Hi Dawg. Just found this Thread and it looks like there is a lot of good advice here for You, so I can't really add much except something that helped Me years ago. The guy I was involved with that was trying to help Me quit told me something that resonates even today. He was like,
"Well First You have to recognize Why You want to quit. Is it because of others pressuring You? Do You want to stop just to please someone else? It has to be ALL YOU that wants to stop, and for No other reason,other than for YourSelf!"
It made sense than, helped Me quit, then now I have done a BackSlide and am burning them again, but went for months without them. Why I have returned to them, is because I like them. Prob addicted to them as well, but I don't even care anymore. (Not given a whole lotta flyin Fu-- about a lot of things now a day, but that's another matter entirely.)

Hang In there Bud!! You can beat this!!!
Syx.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Dawg, just wrote a reply here, posted then realized I didn't hit the Reply To link. So it may not show in Your U2U that I wrote. Just wanted to let Ya know. Look above this one...... Syx.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

Yea, no U2U, but your post came through fine. I know I want to quit, I've done it before for 9 years one time, three years another and can go for months without a smoke. But something will set me off and I'm puffing again. Usually a stupid reason at that.

I don't like the way it makes me and my clothes smell. I don't like the taste. Just the calming effect apparently.

The money saved by not smoking alone could buy me all sorts of things without causing financial difficulties, like snow tires for instance.

The only explanation I can think of is that when I pick up a smoke after a long absence, it's to keep me from choking the livin' [SNIP] outta some one.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Hey Bud. I know You already know that nature has a plant that will help de-stress You! Matter of fact, I have been toying with the idea of moving to a legal use state, mostly for the pain relief element of it. But think it should be legal use in every state anyway. I always thought that man making something natural, illegal, was/is B.S.!!! Anyway I ramble.
Our cost went way down when we started to do rollems here. A couple bags and tubes cost about as much as we'd spend in two or three days on manufactured packs, gets us through all month now, so there is that.
But I would like to see You succeed in quitting, instead of taking my second option here.
If it is something You truly want to do, You will make it there!!!
Persevere and one day, You will see that Monkey jump off Your back and running off into the forest again!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join