It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Correctness, Why?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: James1982

You are being a bit dishonest here. Political correctness isn't a law, it's a social convention. Political correctness did not restore oppressed people's rights, the law did. Either the courts found previous laws unconstitutional, and they were repealed, or new laws were passed. That is why things are different now, political correctness is a much newer concept that has to do with how you behave in society, not what laws a person is subjected to.

Not only does this give credit to political correctness that it doesn't deserve, it takes credit away from the actual physical changes that were made to better things in this country.

This. You have summed it up nicely.

Political correctness does not make changes, but tries to enforce new ideas and mores socially, which is always a bad idea. Trying to force so many social changes artificially is going to create a sort of counter culture where the extreme opposite is accepted, so PC is ultimately counter-productive.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: mahatche Well that's good for you, but go to a time before political correctness and things would have certainly been different. homosexuality was a crime up unil the 60s you know

en.m.wikipedia.org... so maybeThanks to those who came before you, allows you to be so blasé about political correctness today or would you rather it still be a crime today?

Please! Legalizing homosexuality and political correctness are not the same. Believe it or not, a lot of the hateful opinions toward bisexuals comes from gays.

Spare me the guilt trip. I know the history, and it changes nothing.

If you want to protect people's mental health, you have to realize that promoting hyper sensitivity is counter productive. Self pity is not compatible with empowerment. We need to give more attention to understanding self worth, and less to creating protective bubbles. At some point you have to realize that the opinions of assholes don't matter. We can't keep looking at ourselves through the eyes of people who hate us. Self identifying as a victim is a #in prison!

I'm starting to feel like the PC police are more interested in patting themselves on the back, and celebrating their flawed sense of moral pride, than helping people stand on their own.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: mahatche
I'm not really bothered, people can be as unpolitically correct as they like. No skin off my nose. As I said, my opinion is that things are better now than they used to be. You clearly think differently. I'm sorry sorry for being the kill joy round here.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996 I lean to the right as far as political things go. I can communicate with everyone without using racial slurs and idiotic statements. So I am not so sure your definition is completely correct. However, I do agree with you that there are SOME individuals can not communicate without stereotyping, using racial slurs, and idiotic statements. Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson come to mind. However, I think profiling does come into play when people try to be politically correct.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
So... political correctness is a 'new' thing, eh?

Bottoms up, you haven't a leg to stand on.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
It's to divide us even further. To distract us from important issues with manufactured crises so we focus our energy on "changing" those situations while ignoring what's really against us.

I think this is a pretty good guess.

I also think PC is something of a multipurpose propaganda tool. It can do a lot of different things, depending on what they need to accomplish at the moment.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join