It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Correctness, Why?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: James1982

That's a very sad story (no sarcasm there) and one I can relate to (went to grade school in Ruston as a minority white(ish) kid) but I don't see what it has to do with political correctness.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: lernmore
I heard it was created at the Kremlin to "Pussify" America, so it can be slapped around like a bitch.

It's not that they want everyone to be gay and black, but that's what they want the conversation to be about.

I'm not kidding, either.

Lol and you sound pretty fantastic yourself. I love the idea that treating black and gay people as human beings is being a pussy

So you don't use racial or homophobic slurs? Sounds like the political correctness thing worked. You have to keep your hate subtle and under Tue surface ;p

I'm the racist now?
edit on 20-11-2014 by tavi45 because: auto correct mistake

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Ok wow, just got home and was going to respond to Cuervo who responded to me, but after reading all the replies, here is my stance now that I'm not on my phone.

I don't know about you all but I am a member of the Human race, I don't care if you are green, purple with pink polka dots, or magenta in color. I feel we all should be able to love who we want and marry who we want (only caveat is consenting adults), The only time I will judge anyone for anything if they are an ass... period. I manage to live my life just fine never using a PC term in my daily life.

It's called common sense, courtesy, manners, honor, integrity, morality, etc. PCism does nothing to stop anyone being an ass because assholes really don't use or give a sh*t about PCism. All PCism has done is make our humaness something we need to minutely define, hence creating the bigotry and hate. It makes whoever is willing to wear a PC label different, not special, and can and is used to defame, insult and gives assholes more ammo.

I refuse to label you and I refuse to be labeled other than HUMAN.

Life is hard, bad things happen we all need to learn to learn to deal with disappointment, tragedy and the evilness that people do. Everyone on this planet needs to learn how to behave and not behave and to deal with LIFE. Example is usually the best way this is done.

Can anyone explain how PCism has stopped any of the negative behaviors that have been pointed out here, that common courtesy, a good upbringing with good examples in our lives to learn from can't accomplish please?

I taught my daughter to always stick up for the kid being bullied. As an adult now she still does because it is the right thing to do and makes her feel like she is a help to others and not a hindrance. We treat people how we would want to be treated and if someone we deal with can't be a nice human being, we avoid them.

We don't need nannies telling us what words we can use, I'd rather be able to pick out the people I want to avoid because they are assholes easily by not teaching them to lie better.

A bully is a bully whether they are racist, homophobic or whatever negative behavior they act out with. PCism will never change those people. The only person on the planet you can change is... you. You can help others by leading by example, that is it. It is up to them to follow good examples instead of bad. Their choice, not mine, not yours.

Lil

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Lilroanie

That's what I said - just without the Neanderthal emotions in play.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Yeah but I was typing my novel when you posted
hehe

Lil

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
Why is there political correctness?

It's a political tool to divide and control. A method tested and used by nearly all governments since..................

Don't you find it stupid?

No, not stupid, unethical. It's a tool to play on peoples emotions to control them. Sadly it's also being used by people to further other agenda's outside of politics.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
It's a political tool to divide and control. A method tested and used by nearly all governments since..................
No. PC can go to extremes, but for the most part, it is simply an effort to make mean-ness and ignorance socially unacceptable. Racism, xenophobia, homophobia and such used to be the norm. In civilised society, they are becoming an aberration. About time.

But there will always be those who insist upon exercising their rights to cause offence.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

As long as it's honestly applied, perhaps, but it is not and it has been used as I said as a political tool.

"You don't agree with my ideology, therefore you are a ..................."

It is being used in an unethical manner by people I highly doubt give a damn one way or the other. It has become a political tool of hate rather than the reasons you state. If what you say were true of how it's being used now, I would agree.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

As long as it's honestly applied, perhaps, but it is not and it has been used as I said as a political tool.

"You don't agree with my ideology, therefore you are a ..................."

It is being used in an unethical manner by people I highly doubt give a damn one way or the other. It has become a political tool of hate rather than the reasons you state. If what you say were true of how it's being used now, I would agree.

Every tool is dependent on how it's used.

It's done more good than harm. If I were born even just 5 or 10 years earlier my life would be a living hell instead of being pretty damn good, albeit far from perfect. The kids being born now in my position will have things way better than me. Hopefully the kids born 10 years from now will have it even better.

Political correctness could not be used as a tool of divisiveness if so many people didn't cling to outdated concepts. If less people were so focused on denying rights or human decency to minority groups we could work on rash issues that affect all human beings like the massive levels of income inequality or growing police state.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45

Again, just repeating something in the most vulgar, sarcastic, non PC way described to me, almost verbatum. This, in a thread about political correctness, and designed to get you to open your mouth. Go Figure. That's not how I talk. ... Bait meet fish.

So you don't use racial or homophobic slurs?
Nah, again, I don't talk, nor think, like that. Nobody got to pick the color of their skin, or what side of the world they came from. The professional racists might deserve some directed at them, though.

and..

I couldn't even imagine the inner conflict some people have to deal with. Clearly, it's not always by choice.

We've all seen people that have no business in the body they were given.

Sounds like the political correctness thing worked.

Maybe on you, and others, you seem perfectly offended. I, on the other hand, grew up in East L.A., and went to public school.

You have to keep your hate subtle and under Tue surface ;p

That's a totally false accusation. One more member that can't pass up the opportunity to call another person a meany-pants.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: lernmore

It seems pretty far from false. I'll buy that you're not racist but you're very obviously a homophobe.

Congratulations on avoiding not only using slurs but avoiding acknowledging gay people as human beings. You not only don't have any respect for gay people at all in the slightest, but won't even pretend to.

You MIGHT not be a racist but you're definitely a homophobe. Maybe you should just enter the 21st century and then we won't have to be PC anymore because people like you won't continue to be hateful.
edit on 20-11-2014 by tavi45 because: auto correct mistake

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

That's a very sad story (no sarcasm there) and one I can relate to (went to grade school in Ruston as a minority white(ish) kid) but I don't see what it has to do with political correctness.

Are you being intentionally obtuse? If so, let me know so I can stop wasting my time. If you just don't care about perspective from anyone who isn't a minority, let me know so I can stop wasting my time.

What it has to do with political correctness is that my attackers were not punished because it's not politically correct to label black youth as committing racially-motivated assault against whites. I was the victim, yet it is not politically correct to allow a white male to be seen as a victim, because it's impossible for white males to be victimized. My voice was not heard because I am WHITE, yet nobody cares. Because as a white man, I deserve it.

The attitude I faced at that time was DUE to political correctness. If the school administrators weren't scared of getting branded racist for punishing a black student, I might have received justice. Political correctness is what makes it unacceptable to show any compassion or care to whites.

Wrong is not relative, and we all need to be held to the same standard. We are not being held to the same standard partly because of political correctness.

That's how the two relate.

I'm not asking for sympathy, I don't need it, I'm bringing this up as an example of how political correctness has overcompensated in some areas and instead of helping the situation it's creating victims, and creating abusers who think they are justified because of their race. That needs to stop, just like the racism against blacks need to stop. But you don't stop racism against blacks by promoting racism against white, that's counterproductive and disgraceful to anyone claiming to stand for equality and freedom. You refusing to admit this truth is no different than whites who claim racism against blacks doesn't exist anymore. It's self-delusion so that you don't have to broaden your perspective. It's self-delusion to make the issue seem far more simple than it is, so you don't have to work as hard at fixing it.

edit on 21-11-2014 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0taccording to one thread, bullying nerds is becoming socially acceptable again. People can be real idiots sometimes.www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 21-11-2014 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9
We have political correctness because a HUGE% of our population need coddled and are easily offended.

Just remember, everybody gets a trophy!

This. I am fresh out of the Marines going to school, so I'm in classes with 17 and 18 year old kids. I have never seen a more timid group of teenagers in my life than in my English class, me, a fellow vet and maybe 2 girls in the class are virtually the only ones who participate. Granted, my English professor has a very strong personality, but still, she asks a question, and if you get it wrong she is not shy about telling you about it, all these kids are afraid to be told they are wrong, I have spent the last 4 years having my life threatened by my fellow Marines so I suppose that gives me and the other vet immunization.

My 2 cents.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
Well if your not part of a minority then your not really going to get it.

I'm a bisexual Latino. I've heard plenty of rude things, and I still despise political correctness.

Having respect for others is great, but our current state of hyper sensitive pseudo outrage is nauseating. Being a victim has become Ameirca's favorite past time. People are rejecting empowerment in favor of self loathing pity parties.

People who can't be bothered to control their own emotions, shouldn't expect me to do it for them.

Next time someone says "I'm offended" my response will be.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: mahatche Well that's good for you, but go to a time before political correctness and things would have certainly been different. homosexuality was a crime up unil the 60s you know

en.m.wikipedia.org... so maybeThanks to those who came before you, allows you to be so blasé about political correctness today or would you rather it still be a crime today?

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   
other person changed post my reply didn't make sense anymore

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: mahatche Well that's good for you, but go to a time before political correctness and things would have certainly been different. homosexuality was a crime up unil the 60s you know

You are being a bit dishonest here. Political correctness isn't a law, it's a social convention. Political correctness did not restore oppressed people's rights, the law did. Either the courts found previous laws unconstitutional, and they were repealed, or new laws were passed. That is why things are different now, political correctness is a much newer concept that has to do with how you behave in society, not what laws a person is subjected to.

Not only does this give credit to political correctness that it doesn't deserve, it takes credit away from the actual physical changes that were made to better things in this country.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I'll admit political correctness is a clumsy way of installing institutionalised politeness, but better than the way things used to be. That's just my opinion

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: chuck258

originally posted by: KawRider9
We have political correctness because a HUGE% of our population need coddled and are easily offended.

Just remember, everybody gets a trophy!

This. I am fresh out of the Marines going to school, so I'm in classes with 17 and 18 year old kids. I have never seen a more timid group of teenagers in my life than in my English class, me, a fellow vet and maybe 2 girls in the class are virtually the only ones who participate. Granted, my English professor has a very strong personality, but still, she asks a question, and if you get it wrong she is not shy about telling you about it, all these kids are afraid to be told they are wrong, I have spent the last 4 years having my life threatened by my fellow Marines so I suppose that gives me and the other vet immunization.

My 2 cents.

Our current problem with political correctness is the offspring of the failed self esteem movement. Increasing everyone's self esteem sounded good in theory, but it created delusional self entitled narcissists. These A-holes where told they're special their entire life, now any challenge to their delusion is more than they can handle. Simply meeting someone who doesn't like you is all it takes to be a victim now. We actually feel entitled to be liked.

I don't oppose PC because I support bigotry, i oppose it because it's making people weaker. I prefer empowerment to coddling people with victimization.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join