It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mosaics Revealed at Ancient Greek City of Zeugma in Turkey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

The ancient city of Zeugma was originally founded as a Greek settlement by Seleucus I Nicator, one of the generals of Alexander the Great, in 300 BC. The population of the city at its peak was approximately 80,000 inhabitants.

Zeugma is 80 percent underwater, after it was flooded with the waters of a nearby artificial lake.
The mosaics, which were recovered in excellent condition, belong to the 2nd century B.C.

The first mosaic depicts the nine Muses in portraits. This mosaic was originally in a large room of a house that archaeologists have named “House of Muses.” In the center of the mosaic is Muse Calliope and she is surrounded by her sisters. According to ancient Greek poet Isiodos, Calliope was the greatest and finest of the nine Muses, the protector of Epic poetry and arts.

The second mosaic depicts Ocean and Tithys. What is really striking about this mosaic is the wonderful and vivid colors used as well as the beauty of the heroes’ faces. Experts say that special glass mosaic pieces have been created for this mosaic alone.

Wish i had some more info on this , ill have to search around a bit ! so ill be updating the thread if everything is in order .
maybe we have some Greek Historians on ATS who can add come knowledge to this thread!
thanks much .

LINK

Walsh

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Walsh

Those people had too much money.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Those people had too much money.

the Greeks ?

for sure , most of it was in gold to ... could you imagine

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Electrum, actually.
Olive oil was good too. Maybe even a better symbol of wealth.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Did you see where the mayor of Gaziantep was walking around on these mosaics in high heels a couple of weeks back? From Today's Zaman:

Cringe worthy. There are a few more links to information on my feed. The bad news is that there's quite a few houses already underwater in the lake formed by the Birecik Dam. The good news is that there may be as many as 3,000 more that are not.

Here's the Zeugma Archaeological Project website.

EDIT:

And here's a link to the Gaziantep Zeugma Mosaic Museum, the largest mosaic museum in the world.

edit on 2014-11-19 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

geez , how classy ! smh..

thanks for the extra info !

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Oh my God, those are phenomenal!!!

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Many an ancient site have been buried under the water of backed up rivers with dams. Many of these dams were built for the expressed reason of destroying or hiding conflicting historical evidence to runs contrary to the academic dogma of history.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I bet that tile is set like concrete by now.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Wow, supremely vivid and beautiful. The first picture in particular is wonderful, i'll bet the Archies couldn't wait to get started every morning.

Thank you for sharing this

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Gorgeous.

Imagine it in it's full glory.

top topics

join