It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next Level BS #21: Evil Monsanto or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the GMO's

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
There is a big difference between cross breeding plants and modifying foods so that the seeds explode the stomachs of the bugs that eat it.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I've been reading more into this you reported on.

I usually trail the same tracks as NLBS on certain schools of thought.

In this instance, I diverted onto the exposed coastal line whilst you lads can take the dark tunnel through the mountain.

I understand you are not discussing Monsanto per se, however, given the topic, they can't be cleaved from it.

It may be hypocritical to stop Monsanto from coming into Muai when they do GMO themselves, but I'm glad our Polynesiasian brothers and sisters have stuck it to them.

The studies have their own agenda depending on who funded them.

There ARE also studies that contradict GMO safety.
In terms of
-reproductive health
-inabalanaces with gut bacteria and increase in allergies
-Tumors in lab rats
-Breast cancers
-Glyphosate consumption disrupts gene pathways that can lead to Parkinsons etc.

Tests on GMOS have been conducted using different feeding periods, and that is when the "good science" on GMO comes to positive conclusions.

This is not sound, nor the research parameters that provide accurate results, so until unbiased research and testing is final, I wouldn't care so much about Maui making GMOs and kicking the big bully out of their patch.

I have a vegie garden, taste the tomatoes, etc and you will go back to the 70s when food tasted like food

I'd stick to Trader Joes for a bit longer.
edit on 19-11-2014 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

i go to Trader Joes for their cheap wine. Its really a decent wine for a price that is almost embarrasing to admit to.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

And they sell aussie wines

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
It may be hypocritical to stop Monsanto from coming into Muai when they do GMO themselves, but I'm glad our Polynesiasian brothers and sisters have stuck it to them.

On one hand, yes, it's awesome to see an apparent citizen success in fighting Monsanto.

However, it just comes across as shallow when papaya and corn are exempt from the measure, and traditional methods of sugar cane farming that cause massive pollution and sicknesses, aren't addressed first.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

On one hand, yes, it's awesome to see an apparent citizen success in fighting Monsanto.

However, it just comes across as shallow when papaya and corn are exempt from the measure, and traditional methods of sugar cane farming that cause massive pollution and sicknesses, aren't addressed first.

I was concerned Joe would hop into using GMOs based on incomplete or biased research. I was being a concerned mother-hen.

Everything to do with GMO and the money around it is shallow, everything to do with agriculture (other than mini farms) is on the exploitive side.
Labour is a penny a pound for tomato picking, near slave labour , can i hear a a halleluhia the south will rise again.

Did you talk about sugar cane in the video? I cant remember? Or are you bringing it up outa left field?.

Cuba, Brazil and Australia are moving into non burning techniques, from a ecological as well as economic standpoint, when the harvest is green cane, its more beneficial.
Fertilisers have been near eliminated when they discovered this new (oldest) trick in the book. Crop rotation.

ETA/When it comes to deciding what energy and money should be spent when, where and on who or what, I think that's a lost battle.
Art sells for a billion dollars whilst a person starves to death, they want to raise the mammoth back to life, and do nothing but poach and nearly kill off elephants today.
Humans are stupid.
Priorities are a mess.
edit on 19-11-2014 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
Did you talk about sugar cane in the video? I cant remember? Or are you bringing it up outa left field?.

We did. It's responsible for about 100,000 cases of asthma on Maui.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Apologies, I couldn't remember that detail

That part of your argument is sound, other than as I said there is no priorities manual on what should get fixed when.

Maui should harvest green crops .

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Humans on the whole, when judged as a singular organism, are stupid. But when you get down below that 30,000 ft level and examine humans individually...the ugly and stupid just kind of fades away. Not in all cases...but in many.

The mammoth is a good example: some humans want to bring back a hugely beneficial element to the planet. Meanwhile, others who are unconcerned with that are poaching elephants to put change in their pocket.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: pianopraze

bankrupting farmers who's crops are CONTAMINATED by Monsanto.

Do you have any examples of this? I've yet to see one.

Domino I respect you, but has your head been in the ground on this one? It's really not hard to google and find a multitude of websites. But here is one from NPR which even the most liberal wouldn't object to my quoting:

For years, the biotech giant Monsanto has provoked outrage among its critics for suing farmers who save and replant seeds, such as soybeans and canola, from the company's patented Roundup Ready crops.

Some of that outrage is based on a decade-old case in Canada, in which a court ruled that a farmer, Percy Schmeiser, violated Monsanto's patents by planting canola that he "knew or ought to have known" contained Monsanto's Roundup Ready gene. Schmeiser argued that he didn't want the gene in his fields, and that it had become incorporated into his canola via wind-blown pollen.

www.npr.org... 13/01/14/169318303/monsanto-lawyer-suggests-new-standard-for-suing-farmers

That is far from an isolated case. They have testers who test fields next to GMO planted fields. If they find cross-contamination they send threats:

We don’t know how many thousands of farmers they have done that to. But by 2004 at least 30,000 farmers were paying royalties to Monsanto in Canada [8]. As a former politician, Percy thinks this is the worst thing that has happened with the introduction of GM crops, a whole new culture of fear that Monsanto has been able to establish on the prairies of North America and Canada.

If Monsanto can’t find the farmer at home they go to the municipality office and get the farmers address and extortion letters follow. Percy has collected a lot of letters that farmers have given to him that say: “We have reason to believe that you might be growing Monsanto’s GM rapeseed without a licence. We estimate that you have so many acres. In lieu of us not sending you to court send us $100 000 dollars or $200 000 dollars in two weeks time and we may or may not send you to court.” Can you imagine the fear of a farm family when they receive this letter from a billion dollar Corporation? The letter ends, “You’re not allowed to show this letter to anyone or we will fine you.” One farmer’s wife sent Percy a letter from Monsanto because she was at her wits end. Her husband had four heart attacks and she pleaded with them to put her in jail. Monsanto replied, “We don’t want to put you in jail lady, sell your farm and we’ll let you go for half the money.”

link

The courts have upheld their right to do this. It is legalized extortion.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Yeah I agree with all of that.

Though some individuals are dumber than dogsh#t. That ca't be argued

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: pianopraze

bankrupting farmers who's crops are CONTAMINATED by Monsanto.

Do you have any examples of this? I've yet to see one.

I don't know if this farmer went bankrupt but his farm definitely got contaminated and he definitely go sued and lost.

The defendants do not deny the presence of Roundup Ready canola in their fields in 1998, but they urged at trial that neither Mr. Schmeiser nor Schmeiser Enterprises Ltd. have ever deliberately planted, or caused to be planted, any seeds licensed by the plaintiffs containing the patented gene.
link

from the same case:

In 1998, two years after the introduction of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in Canada, the Schmeisers received a lawsuit notice from Monsanto which said that they were growing Roundup Ready canola without a licence from Monsanto and that this was a patent infringement. Monsanto had a patent on a gene to make GM canola resistant to the glyphosate herbicide in its formulation Roundup. This came as a complete surprise to the Schmeisers who immediately realised that all their research and development on canola over the past fifty years had been contaminated by Monsanto’s GMOs.
link

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I don't trust mosanto, I don't trust GMO's, I don't trust corporations, I don't trust government agencies and the "research" payed and approved by them.

All they see is profits profits profits.

No NO NO, this video is bull sh*t.

Oh and bitchin on Liberals that hard? That was shameful.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator
I don't trust mosanto, I don't trust GMO's, I don't trust corporations, I don't trust government agencies and the "research" payed and approved by them.

All they see is profits profits profits.

I can agree with you on that part.

Why shouldn't he "bitch on" liberals if they're being somewhat hypocritical? They're not beyond reproach. I think it's pretty eye-opening. And many call me a liberal.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Why shouldn't he "bitch on" liberals if they're being somewhat hypocritical? They're not beyond reproach. I think it's pretty eye-opening. And many call me a liberal.

I can agree that some extreme leftists can have quite problematic view points.

I'm left leaning on center, in fact, in the quiz last week, you we're more liberal than I was.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Monsanto and their poisons have been a plague for decades now. And generation later its effects are being felt and paid for by people like the children of those exposed to agent orange getting rare spinal cancers. Like the owls in my tree having their brains scrambled and dropping dead.

It's beyond comprehension why they are allowed to continue, should be allowed anywhere near our food supplies with their poisons, and why they should be suing anyone.

In the name of what again? So that decades later our children and grandchildren will pay the price for their profits? Again. No, thank you.

Top 10 Poisons that are the legacy of Monsanto

Aspartame
PCBs
DDT
Bovine Growth Hormone
Roundup
Dioxin
Agent Orange
Polystyrene

Their killing the planet, but pay both the government and the mad men plenty to convince you otherwise. If there's even a doubt in your mind, you will act against this monster, or at the very least protect yourself and yours as best you can.

ETA: This ain't a right-left problem. It's a planet problem. And it must be stopped.
edit on 11/19/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: theNLBS

Joe. Dude. You know I love you, man. But I have a few points for you to consider.
(Oh no! Here comes a Liberal/Libtard Rant!!
)

In my opinion, the verdict is still out on GMO/Conventional Agribusiness, primarily because of HOW the crops are grown - a point you mentioned but did not sit with. (Well, actually, my verdict is they are BAD, but please follow my argument below...)

Your segment focused on whether or not there was direct harm from eating GMO foods, i.e. the cellular makeup of GMOs being ingested. (I'm not going to argue about that.) It did not focus on HOW those crops were grown and what that does to the soil, water, etc., or what ingesting small (even tiny) amounts of pesticides might do to the Human Genome over time.

This is where conventional growing meets organic growing processes in a head-to-head battle for what is best for humanity in the long run. I will grant you that “bugs” of various kinds can cause short-term losses (over a few years) and be bad for industries. And sans the pesticides, which most people would agree are not good for human health, GMO food may be just fine to eat. As far as yield is concerned, however, GMO crops do not out-perform organically grown crops over the long term, and organically grown crops yield nearly an equal amount of food. NIH

You touched upon asthma in Maui. There is more going on that that, and it isn’t just in Maui.

Rates of asthma are going up in the US as a whole: its not just localized to Maui. This is along with rates of autism, allergies, ADHD, ADD, birth defects, etc. etc. etc. Most of this effects children. Now, I’m not trying to relate these to eating GMO foods - I would like to point out that industrial pollutants including pesticides are problematic and possibly causal for this steady increase. Source - CDC

Something is happening here, and it ain’t pretty. I know. I live with severe autism in my son every single day. Another relative is constantly in the ER with their asthmatic daughter fighting for breath. My other son has a congenital heart defect that required three open heart surgeries. Challenging, certainly, but how does this relate to GMOs? It does, in part.

The science of epigenetics looks at the potential for exposures long term - over generations. My exposure to something, or my grandmother’s exposure to something, could potentially effect the gene expression in my child, or my grandchild, leading to future birth defects or diseases. I looked into this as part of my autism research.

Epigenetics and Asthma: NIH
Epigenetics and ADHD/Developmental Disorders: NIH
Epigenetics and Pesticides: NIH

This is a relatively new branch of science. This is frontier stuff. The point is, it needs to be studied before we all say “yeah, cool” to Conventional farming methods and continual environmental insults from industrial sources or sources we can control.

GMO crops/seeds go hand in hand with a culture of pesticide control through poison. These poisons have been studied short-term and we know they are bad, but NOW we know it is possible for longer-term, generational effects. Pesticides are only one of the heads on this beast.

This is my main issue with Conventional Agribusiness and their symbiotic relationship with chemicals and pesticides.

I also hate the Monsanto Legal Team which does major BS stuff like sue organic or non-GMO/Monsanto seed farmers because their seeds have infected said farmer through normal processes. That makes them evil.

peace,
AB

ETA: My ultimate point here is that IF organically grown produce has nearly if not the same yield as conventional/GMO, AND GMO/Conventional requires the use of pesticides, AND pesticides are bad for human health (potentially across generations), THEN organically grown produce makes the most logical, healthy and ecological sense for the long-term viability of human beings and our planet.
edit on 20-11-2014 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-11-2014 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-11-2014 by AboveBoard because: badness...

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I have been noticing a trend in a few of your videos. Be careful not to become one of the propaganda spewing outlet which you are opposed to. Continue to fight the good fight but be wary you do not head down the wrong path your words have the opportunity to reach millions.

I hope you do not reach the point we need to change the name of your show to The Next Level CNN...

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: theNLBS

Well, it was always going to happen Joe.

You finally managed to make a video with which I have an issue, and that is that I basically distrust any process which allows a small number of people or companies, to dominate a market for any reason. GMO seed producers do exactly that. For all the possible benefits, it is not worth handing a small number of large agribusinesses that kind of power.

That is an element you have not really looked into. The bigger the business behind a thing, the less it can be trusted, generally speaking.

That said, it is not a bad video just because I disagree with its main thrust!

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
IMO, the whole controversy surrounding GMOs is the plants are able to withstand higher doses of pesticides because the pest become more resistant from generation to generation. This means the plant absorbs more of the pesticides, which is transmitted to the food chain. GMO plant products contain higher amounts of pesticides than non-GMO products.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join