It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

33 Things Americans Should Know About Canada. Seriously

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Honey Boo-Boo

Snooky

KarDashians

Peace
edit on 17-11-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Oh Kids in the Hall. I'd have to watch it now that I'm older and can understand things a lot better. SCTV and Bob & Doug McKenzie are also quintessential Canadian awesomeness

The whole album that that is from is awesome
edit on 11 17 2014 by Sabiduria because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

we huddle close to the border, for warmth.

Shenanigans. You huddle close to us because you are our hat. Stop lying you moose riding syrup swillers.

Having a little trouble believing only 600 homicides a year...

There were 543 homicides recorded in Canada in 2012, Google it.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: markovian

Honey Boo Boo and her family. We win. Even if Justin Beiber had a kid, we'd still win because of Honey Boo Boo & her family

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabiduria
6. We're a lot bigger than you, in land mass, but our population is considerably less. The populations of Los Angeles and New York City would be around 30 million people. The entire nation of Canada has around 32 million people. Due to the fact that most of our country is in the northern latitudes, we huddle close to the border, for warmth.

7. In the War of 1812, we kicked your butts. The reason why your Whitehouse is white is because we set fire to it and it was whitewashed to hide the damage (for propaganda purposes). Some Americans will say that THEY won the war. However, to win, a party must reach their objective. Your objective was to take over British North America (what Canada was called then), our goal was to stop you. You don't have any more northern territory along the Canada/US border than you did before 1812. So who won? (Alaska doesn't count, you BOUGHT that state from Russia.)

8. A form of baseball was played just outside of Toronto, Ontario three weeks before Alexander Doubleday played the 'first' game of baseball in your country.

9. We do not find the term "Canuck" derogatory, like Americans find "Yank" derogatory. It apparently originated during World War One. Your soldiers were call "doughboys" ours were called "Johnny Canucks". I think the British coined the term, but I'm not sure.

10. We are not "just like Americans", we have our own national identity, we just haven't figured out what it is, yet. Someone once said that, "Canadians are unarmed Americans with health care." That pretty much sums it up, I guess. We are internationally (but unofficially) known as the "World's Most Polite Nation."

11. Our national animal is the beaver. Sure it's just a rodent, but they're not even CLOSE to being extinct. You can still get money for beaver pelts. It is NOT our main unit of exchange, we have money, just like you.

15. November the 11th is called Remembrance Day, up here. It is a day when all Canadians honour our war dead and the veterans who are still amongst us. Its significance is that on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month the Armistice was signed, ending World War One.

21. Many Canadians have never played hockey in their lives. There are many who do not like hockey.

22. Besides, our national sport is not hockey, its lacrosse. It's one of the few sports that originated on the North American continent, it was played by the Aboriginals.

29. Our side of Niagara Falls is nicer looking than your side. In fact, even when Americans use images of the Falls in advertising and movies, they film the Canadian side. It's called Horse Shoe Falls, by the way.

30. We own the North Pole, and therefore Santa Claus is Canadian. The internationally recognized mailing address for jolly old St. Nick is:
Santa Claus
North Pole
Canada
H0H 0H0

33 Things Americans Should Know About Canada. Seriously.

I hope you enjoy the list, I picked the ones I thought were pretty good. The whole list is good though

I hope this helps out some of the neighbours down south who are a bit clueless to one of the countries they are attached to

One Thing Canadians Should Know About America

#1 .. We are Number One.

(Sincere apologies to admin for short post. Although , few words were all that was needed to communicate.)
edit on 17-11-2014 by KingJoseph01 because: Washingtonian Spirit. Can you feel me?

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Sabiduria

Why not just post the link? This isn't the GMO thread, you were actually right and had proof!

Canada is still awful because of the following pop star. Even if she does like guns.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Thank you for Peter Jennings. He was the only class on the news since Walter Cronkite.

Thanks for William Shatner too.

Sorta.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabiduria
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Sorry but the Kardashiens, the Hiltons & the Trumps far out way anything Bieber does. Not good enough, how about Honey Boo Boo & her family.

Well, em ... er ... uh ... Oooh look! Larry the Cable Guy is on The Real Housewives of New Jersey. How about we just kick back, have a beer and watch the show. Together, we can just make fun of Jamaicans. They're pretty laid back, they won't mind.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Hahahaha How I met your mother = hilarious! Robin is my fav.

11th November is Rememberance day here in Australia too i think its the same for all us countries apart of the Commonwealth.

I love Canada, i would love too return there one day! its beautiful and the people are awesome.
edit on 18-11-2014 by Shana91aus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Well yes we DO have a Governor General BUT they are as much of a figure head as the British monarchy itself is in the UK. The Governor General is just a ceremonial position. Even during war time their duties are just as a moral officer and do base inspections and see troops off on campaigns. Other than seeing to the needs of international dignitaries that come to the country(including the monarchy itself) and being a rubber stamp position to pass laws, the Governor General is just there to be another chain in responsible government to make sure laws don't run rampant.....if Canada were to try and pass some inhumane laws, the Governor General is the Monarchy's proxy to go "Woah woah woah....you wanna what? Pass a law turning Canada into a new pseudo Sparta and force all children through combat....um....NO!" There has never been any law NOT passed by the Governor General's office of Canada. Even during the period from 1931 when British parliament passed laws to allow them to make changes to the Constitution of Canada(which still had "request and consent" clauses to prevent anything crazy on their end) until the repatriation of the Constitution of Canada in 1982, the Governor General was still just a rubber stamp passing all our, laws including those that took power away from the UK. All in all, the Governor General is there as a respect to our traditions of being part of the empire that gave birth to us as a nation, and keeps us tied in spirit to those who want to make sure that even though we are our own entity, that we don't go about passing crazy or inhumane laws that would make any nation connected to us through that family of nations ashamed of that connection.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Not even a whisper about the beer up here eh....

Geez man... Im frickin disappointed

edit on 18-11-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
originally posted by: Domo1

Why not just post the link? This isn't the GMO thread, you were actually right and had proof!

Since when is ATS just about posting the link and that's it?

As for the GMO thread comment, if you are referring to the Monsanto taking action against Maui thread, I am right in what I posted and there is proof, so I'm not really sure what you are talking about.

Canada is still awful because of the following pop star. Even if she does like guns.

At least Sparkles is a fictional character from a U.S comedy show. What is your excuse for this actual person from the U.S and her family? U.S is still more awful than Canada. Sorry buddy.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: signalfire

How about Leslie Nielsen, Phil Hartman, Martin Short, Dan Aykroyd, Jim Carrey, Mike Myers & John Candy?

Margaret Atwood, Alice Munro (Nobel Prize in Literature -2013) and Michael Ondaatje?

Those are just some of our great comedians and authors. Canada has some great talent eh

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Shana91aus

In the U.S it's called Veterans day (that's what it is referring to)

Canada has it's awesome stuff but we also have some #ty stuff too *cough cough Harper cough cough*

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

You are right, other than the Bob & Doug McKenzie mention, nothing else talks about our beer.

Our beer is better than the U.S beer, that is a fact!!!

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I'm not sure which sounds better as a slang word for a woman's naughty bits...beaver or canuck.
I'm leaning towards the latter. It rolls of the tongue more smoothly.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
The Canadian border patrol are jerks who will search your car and confiscate your phone, read all your messages and go through your pictures, laugh at risque photos of your wife and tell you "not a dam thing you can do about it, none of your American freedoms here".. why? Because you drive a nice car and it was suspect. When nothing found, no "have a good day" or "sorry" , just a "you can leave now." Going back to America? "Welcome home! Drive on through"

And the north pole is actually in the arctic ocean, in international waters. The closest land is Greenland.
edit on 18-11-2014 by WP4YT because: (no reason given)

With that said, I love Canada. Beautiful country, I visit all the time. Just my minor grievances about your officials being huge jerks
edit on 18-11-2014 by WP4YT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Beaver is way more traditional than Canuck. I know more people who quietly snicker to themselves when they hear the word beaver because they instantly think of a vagina than they do when they hear the word Canuck.

Canuck is akin to the term "Yankee", can also be in reference to the Vancouver hockey team and also was a WW2 nickname for us, ((Johnny Canuck))

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: WP4YT

Your government spies on the entire world, so they read your messages, go through your pictures & laugh at risque photos of your wife and they tell you "not a dam thing you can do about it, we need to watch out for terrorists"

It's ok you can hate our boarder officials, I hate your government.

I think this is what the list is talking about:

Upon ratification of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, a country has 10 years to make claims to an extended continental shelf beyond its 200 mile exclusive economic zone. If validated, such a claim gives the claimant state rights to what may be on or beneath the sea bottom within the claimed zone.[67] Norway (ratified the convention in 1996[68]), Russia (ratified in 1997[68]), Canada (ratified in 2003[68]) and Denmark (ratified in 2004[68]) have all launched projects to base claims that certain areas of Arctic continental shelves should be subject to their sole sovereign exploitation.[69][70]

In 1907 Canada invoked a "sector principle" to claim sovereignty over a sector stretching from its coasts to the North Pole. This claim has not been relinquished, but was not consistently pressed until 2013.

With that said, most U.S citizens are good people. Most of my extended family on my Mom's side lives down in the States. I just wanted to point out my grievances about your government being horrible. ((mostly just joking around with you))
Territorial claims to the North Pole and Arctic region

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   
An American wants to migrate to Mexico.

When being at the border he gets stopped by the Mexican border guards and is being told he can`t come in because he`s too intelligent. So he asks if there`s isn`t anything which can be done about that? The border guards tell him he could get surgery and have 20% of his brains removed.

The American really wants to move to Mexico so he decides to go through with it.

After the brain surgery he`s waking up from the narcotics and the surgeon tells him, "we made a mistake, we accidentally removed 80% of your brain," at which the man responds with, "eh?"

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join