It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On a lighter note.....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
There is another Flight Global article that gives a little more detail on the new Beluga. Apparently it will be based on an A330-200 series fuselage which will give it a cargo bay 1m wider and 6m longer than the current Beluga. It will also have a payload increase of 6t to 53t in comparison which is not huge but certainly useful. They are also looking at streamlining the transport process to gain better utilization of the fleet in the future. One simple idea is to build dedicated loading/unloading hangars so the operations are not affected by weather. It will be interesting to see if the dimension increases will allow it to transport subassemblies that currently use the sea/road method which has always been logistically tricky and far from the most efficient alternative. Perhaps they could simply buy some new build Dreamlifters from Boeing?

edit on 18-11-2014 by thebozeian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: thebozeian
Perhaps they could simply buy some new build Dreamlifters from Boeing?

Lol. Can you imagine a Dreamlifter with an Airbus logo on it? I can however see them converting one of their A-380 to fit that bill.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman

originally posted by: thebozeian
Perhaps they could simply buy some new build Dreamlifters from Boeing?

I can however see them converting one of their A-380 to fit that bill.

Yeah that's my thinking too although you would need more than one, probably three at a minimum. If you do something similar to the fuselage that was done for the Dreamlifter you get a massive cross-section that could easily accommodate major fuselage sections of any current series aircraft they build as well as the wings. This would simplify as well as greatly speed up the supply chain and remove the tricky and time consuming transfer to barge/barge to road/road to assembly plant method they currently need with all the attendant risks and inconveniences to the public it can bring. My guess is that while there would be high upfront costs and the running cost would be high (but not untenable), it would have so many side benefits as well as cost reductions that it would make it worthwhile in the long run.

LEE.
edit on 18-11-2014 by thebozeian because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1   >>

join