It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How has geek/nerd bullying become so acceptable again?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: WilsonWilson

Ok well lol away, i just call things how i see them. Language barrier makes tasking bit harder to really say what i meant.

No hate involved, just some frustration and dislike. Maybe we understand hate and hating differently in our cultures.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Yes, and no. There is also pretty good evidence that the other side of gamer gate is an incestuous collusion of gaming media and devlopers and others to help paint all gamers as mouthbreathing misogynists who hate women, too. There are some, but not as many as the gaming media would have you believe.

And there are certain people who want games remade in their image, so to speak, because you obviously can't have a muscle-bound manly man protagonist because that's so obviously anti-woman and the like. So what if some games have the muscle bound man? Men aren't allowed to be that fantasy anywhere in society, so we can't let them have that in video games, either? Now the feminists have to follow them there and bag on them for having muscle bound men in their games and pretty girls to save?

So the message is that men should be ashamed for ... being men?

That is part of the problem I have with gamer gate feminists and I am a woman. We should stop trying to scrub all aspects of masculinity our of our culture as bad.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
If you're talking about gamergate. (I refuse to say hashtag, because that's retarded.) Those gamergate idiots are waging a war on women, threatening rape and doxing them and threatening to kill them just because they don't like their point of view. Anyone associated with gamergate should be ashamed of themselves. misogynistic woman haters who whine about everything have no place in a modern society. I've been hurt by women too, I didn't cry about it all over the Internet! I processed it and moved on with my life. That's what grownups do.

Yeah, this, +1

Beware, you might get notified about your overflowing hate and anger which stems from your fear.

Use "no fear" -branded consumes to overcome.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: amazing

Yes, and no. There is also pretty good evidence that the other side of gamer gate is an incestuous collusion of gaming media and devlopers and others to help paint all gamers as mouthbreathing misogynists who hate women, too. There are some, but not as many as the gaming media would have you believe.

And there are certain people who want games remade in their image, so to speak, because you obviously can't have a muscle-bound manly man protagonist because that's so obviously anti-woman and the like. So what if some games have the muscle bound man? Men aren't allowed to be that fantasy anywhere in society, so we can't let them have that in video games, either? Now the feminists have to follow them there and bag on them for having muscle bound men in their games and pretty girls to save?

So the message is that men should be ashamed for ... being men?

That is part of the problem I have with gamer gate feminists and I am a woman. We should stop trying to scrub all aspects of masculinity our of our culture as bad.

Yes, I enjoy conanesque games as much as the next guy. Those games sell hundreds of millions of dollars each year. With that kind of money, they aren't going anywhere. Just because a woman/women want games representing real females in real lead roles is no reason to panic. Women deserve that and are making that happen. We can have both. AGAIN, no need to panic.

If there is a problem with females sleeping with male game reviewers then that should be looked at. Since there is so much hatred, misogyny, rape and death threats, and bullying and whining coming from gamergate, if you want to be taken seriously, start a separate movement. Get as far away from those women hating fools as you can. Also, what kind of idiot puts the word gate after every scandal?

Here's a history lesson, for you guys. Watergate is actually the name of a place...not a scandal involving water. Let's drop the word Gate from every single issue we have. Also back in the day, we used have keywords and "tags", now idiots ad an extra symbol and syllable because that makes this easier! LOL

All of that wasn't actually directed at you personally!

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: menneni

Your language was a bit strong is all meant. You don't need to bang on about it. There is no connotation online. Taking you post on face value it just came across really angry lots of insults not much content.
edit on 17-11-2014 by WilsonWilson because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
It has not become more socially acceptable to bully anyone.

There has been people bullying people during the cave man days, there was bullying 100 years ago, there is bullying today and there will be bullying 100 years from now.

People just see more of it now days because of the web and more people cry about it because 95% of the people out there now days can't or won't stick up for themselves.

They would rather make a You Tube video crying about it or whining on a forum.

Some young people kill themselves over it.......just like they did 50 years ago.

Of course 50 years ago there might have been less because someone would just bust the bully in the nose, Thats not PC today though. You might be called a racist, a sexist or a domestic terrorist.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Why must you reduce your minds to stereotypical rubble?!?!? WHY!?!?!? You have no idea what REALLY goes on. I dress cool, and look good, but get picked on just because I don't fit ANY stereotype. I'm smart, semi-weird, and love cartoons and videogames. However, that's no excuse to not dress cool. The only things I won't do is pull my pants below my waist, join #ING gangs, or be judged by the idiotic rhetoric of everyday society. It's media brainwashed morons like you that fuel the rising anti-intellectualism and the adoration of the freaking 1% percent. You have no freaking idea what it's like to grow up in a bad neighborhood, go to semi-crappy schools, go to advanced placement classes only to have no college courses to take in 12th grade, and having to constantly teach yourself just to maintain some sort of cognitive challenge in this overly violent, idiotic world filled with hispanic haters. Governments create gangs and all you want to do is have an excuse to create a wall street nested society full of rich cockheads. Sure, I'm kinda poor, but I'm smart as hell. What we need is the elimination of gangs and a system runned by how smart you ARE, NOT how quote on quote "smart" you look. Shove your face down your butt. Oh wait! What's the difference when your shirt looks like a butt that haven't even seen the laundry. Why fit into stereotypes when you can BE YOURSELF. Try that for once. Be YOURSELVES and # the media! It almost makes me want to gun down the media for all the racist bullying they encouraged. Racists #s! Racism is NOT COOL! I'm a smart hispanic, and I'm sick and tired of living in a gang ridden neighborhood just because I don't have money to move. I'm also SICK AND TIRED of people thinking I'm stupid and treating me like total #. Then they get totally shocked when they hear ME say smart things because of the intense stereotypicalization of society. Think inside the box? No! Think outside the box. I hate the box and everyone in it. So get out of the box, or your just part of the anti-intellectual movement and racisms that go on in a bigoted society! Bigots, bigots, everywhere!
Stereotypes make me sick!

edit on 17-11-2014 by ShadowGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

If you're talking about gamergate. (I refuse to say hashtag, because that's retarded.) Those gamergate idiots are waging a war on women, threatening rape and doxing them and threatening to kill them just because they don't like their point of view. Anyone associated with gamergate should be ashamed of themselves. misogynistic woman haters who whine about everything have no place in a modern society. I've been hurt by women too, I didn't cry about it all over the Internet! I processed it and moved on with my life. That's what grownups do.

This is the type of nonsense I'm on about.

Mention computer games, geek stuff or something and people start calling you a rapist.

It's obscene.

It's just a vile way to attack the geek community.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: bates

To Bates and everyone else, take a look as to why he said what he did. He doesn't mean bullying as in school yard bullying, or bullying of the "weird kids". I don't agree with him (Sam Biddle) but let's get it all straight and not go on some armchair hate choir based on false information.

It all boils down to GamerGate: Wiki Link

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: bates

This is the type of nonsense I'm on about.

Mention computer games, geek stuff or something and people start calling you a rapist.

It's obscene.

It's just a vile way to attack the geek community.

Nope. Not you. I merely mentioned gamergate. Got problems with certain women, women with game reviewers or gaming companies. then take them up separately. Get as far away from the label-gamergate as you can. Then, you will have no more bullying problems.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: bates
In the last couple of months it has become socially acceptable to rip into the fringes of society.

It's always been socially acceptable.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: WilsonWilson

I'm so sorry dude for my strong words in this forum you're reading. I feel terrible that you had to read some of my insulting ideas conveyed to text. The supposed content was the "omg - this is crazy" -which you did not access.

"No connotation online" Dude, i admit i had to look up the word, and i disagree.

You know, i'm still banging on: I just said like i saw the thing. Still finding it funny that my post had you winded up, with all the hatred-talk and such sissyness, it's like your first day among humans.

The face value of this gamergate issue is, the girl banged for review and acted like lying ho with narcistic feats. No excuses for that in my little perception. Lie is a lie, ho is a ho. And a cheat is a cheat.

I'm just getting a feeling that you're feeling for the girl. She did stupid things, over and over again. That kind of publicity the girl was getting herself, she knew all the stakes. She really tried to play public for a fool and for her own end, and that, sir, is just stupid, and exremely arrogant.

Cha cha, have to get some sleep now, good night for everyone, you wilsonwilson included

No connotation online? Thats just rude.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Nope. Not you. I merely mentioned gamergate. Got problems with certain women, women with game reviewers or gaming companies. then take them up separately. Get as far away from the label-gamergate as you can. Then, you will have no more bullying problems.

I have no bullying problems.

Let me just set a few things straight.

Firstly I'm not a gamergater or whatever they call themselves. I'm not even sure I'd be classed as a gamer, I've not even got a current gen console.

Secondly I'm very suspicious of the whole anti-gamer gate thing. I had a look for arrest and prosecution numbers for people who identify as from gamer gate and there is not one person I can find who has been arrested over it. It appears that a load of game journalist and internet blog warriors have got their knickers in a twist over a bunch people who like playing computer games and now they're spinning it as an excuse to do a load of online bullying.

I think the game side of things has massively overplayed what gamergate is in an attempt to shift attnetion away from their dodgy practices. Mention how the games industry is a bit corrupt now and you'll just get a loads of accusations thrown at you.

Thank god assassins creed unity has been such an open disaster to highlight some of the # that goes on. You can also see why there is so much open lying from certain sectors (ubisoft just lost 12.5% off it's share value).

This is a conspiracy theory forum after all and the whole thing stinks to me.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Internet "class warfare" is little more than an elaborate text based MMORPG.

CUSTOMIZE YOUR AVATAR - BUILD YOUR ARMY - DESTROY THE OPPOSITION

*yawn*

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

People who hate on us geeks need to go to jelly skewl.

I was always taught that you are the only you and that means that you're the best you. Everyone is good at something--but lots of people always want to be someone else. I think people, no matter if they're smart or not smart or beautiful or ugly, should be happy with themselves as they are. Because everyone is beautiful if they are proud of who they are.
edit on 17-11-2014 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

How has geek/nerd bullying become so acceptable again?

It is because they have all realised we were right when we said;

"Nerds shall inherit the earth"

so they are hitting back.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: rukia

People who hate on us geeks need to go to jelly skewl.

Right! I embrace my nerd-hood happily and am not afraid to admit that I am an adult AND an avid Pokemaniac! I read fantasy novels and play D&D! I listen to chiptune music and watch anime! I read comic books and can quote Star Wars at will! I am not at all afraid to admit that I will happily play video games until the day they roll my Mountain Dew saturated corpse into the river!

Geek haters be frontin' those bustas best watch they six!

Sorry, I just got done playing GTA...

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
yea being a nerd and a rather big strong guy i just loled

would whoever they are like a gps location

i got 2 katans they can use one we will play

my brother who is the same as me except smaller would love to play also

infact i got a good list of them who are nerds and studies the art of fighting since we where 12

we would all love to play a game with them lol

in all actuality this was rampid when i was young ,,, never worked when a bully2 get stabbed with a pen they think twice the next time

i advocate harsh self defense against saied bullies life changing defense me and all who where inside my circle growing up only got messed with once bye a bully never ending good for the agresser

if this kind of action was more common the problem would be gone i garentee first time a bully picks a fight with a nerd and gets his/her arm broken they will think twice next time

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

xD hahahaha EPIC

dude hell yeah

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
it's all the newfangled chemicals enducing the population to become loopy.

I suggest reading the ingredients of the shampoo. Maybe there is some mind control substance being leeked by the illuminati pun intended

<< 1    3 >>

join