It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook slams the door on political campaigns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Apparently a Facebook app used by Obama supporters during the 2012 campaign is being scrapped.

I think some Republicans did too, but they must have been late.

Looks like somebody is nervous from the results of the elections Nov 4th that knocked off a whole bunch of Democrats.

The 2016 campaign is underway !!

An upcoming code change means Obama’s groundbreaking 2012 outreach on the site won’t happen again

Barack Obama’s reelection campaign pioneered a pathway for political campaigns to reach voters through Facebook when it released an app that helped supporters target their friends with Obama-related material.

But as the 2016 presidential campaign approaches, Facebook is rolling out a change that will prevent future campaigns from doing this, closing the door on one of the most sophisticated social targeting efforts ever undertaken.

Most of the Republican presidential hopefuls, meanwhile, will not get the chance to use the tool at all.

Hmmm.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Republicans behind the times.... nothing new there.

But the following is surprising:

Then in the spring of 2014, Facebook — responding to growing privacy concerns — cracked down on how much information third-party applications could gain

Since when does FB care about privacy concerns..?

That's hilarious.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I don't think Facebook is altering this as a result of the upcoming elections, as you pointed out.

Their reasoning for halting the sharing of data with third parties is described as such:

Then in the spring of 2014, Facebook — responding to growing privacy concerns — cracked down on how much information third-party applications could gain about those who installed the apps.

“We've heard from people that they're often surprised when a friend shares their information with an app,” wrote Facebook engineering manager Jeffrey Spehar in a blog post. “So we've updated Facebook Login so that each person decides what information they want to share about themselves, including their friend list.”

Today, when Facebook users choose to share their friend list with an app, only those friends who also use the app become visible, Facebook spokeswoman Tera Randall told Yahoo News.

Obviously, this was not done in response to the recent elections. Nor was it done for political purposes. It was done to maintain sufficient consumer trust and communication with users of the network.

Indeed, the effects actually came into place some time ago, with existing apps being provided with a year's notice.

The changes went into effect for new apps on April 30, and existing apps were given a year before the change applied to them. (In technical terms, what Facebook is doing is changing its Graph application programming interface, or API, as well as the terms of service for app developers.)

What this means in practice is that a group like Ready for Hillary, the grass-roots network of supporters for a Clinton presidential run, has been able to use targeted sharing over the past year. That means it has the Facebook friend lists of all the people who’ve installed Ready for Hillary’s app on the social network.

But when the API and terms-of-service changes become permanent for all apps, Ready for Hillary — as well as any campaign that has bought its voter information — won’t be able to keep up to date with its supporters’ most recent lists of friends, and will learn nothing about the Facebook friends of new supporters. Facebook’s change becomes permanent on April 30, 2015.

Most of the Republican presidential hopefuls, meanwhile, will not get the chance to use the tool at all.

What this means is that in an attempt at securing privacy, Facebook actually intended to implement this plan long before the recent elections. It means that the only reasons why Republicans haven't been able to use the app is because they have been behind the curve in regards to the technology and social media campaigns. Only early grassroots groups have been able to use it to their advantage, due to them being proactive.

I don't know why you are trying to twist this into something of a political nature when it clearly isn't.

edit on 17-11-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Tracebook is a joke of a website.

I'm sure if the money is right they will soon change this policy.

edit on 17-11-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven
Republicans behind the times.... nothing new there.

But the following is surprising:

Then in the spring of 2014, Facebook — responding to growing privacy concerns — cracked down on how much information third-party applications could gain

Since when does FB care about privacy concerns..?

That's hilarious.

They don't care about privacy...they care about money and FB users have been steadily threatening to either drop from FB or challenge FB in court.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
If it's not fb it'll be another stupid app.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I personally got tired of seeing dip#s from the two major parties, who I DO NOT support, showing up on my newsfeed. Glad they shut it down.
edit on 17-11-2014 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Rightfully so. I use Facebook and would rather not be inundated with campaign ads and congress flappers trying to steal my attention. On a whole anyone who would vote would make an informed decision. Funny though how the tightness and connectedness of Facebook screwed up the Dems, that leads me to believe that in order for Dems to stay in power we can't be connected, well informed and at peace with our fellow Americans. That speaks volumes about their ideology.

originally posted by: xuenchen
Apparently a Facebook app used by Obama supporters during the 2012 campaign is being scrapped.

I think some Republicans did too, but they must have been late.

Looks like somebody is nervous from the results of the elections Nov 4th that knocked off a whole bunch of Democrats.

The 2016 campaign is underway !!

An upcoming code change means Obama’s groundbreaking 2012 outreach on the site won’t happen again

Barack Obama’s reelection campaign pioneered a pathway for political campaigns to reach voters through Facebook when it released an app that helped supporters target their friends with Obama-related material.

But as the 2016 presidential campaign approaches, Facebook is rolling out a change that will prevent future campaigns from doing this, closing the door on one of the most sophisticated social targeting efforts ever undertaken.

Hmmm.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
You know how you can tell if a politician is lying? His or her lips are moving. I wouldn't campaign for the devil and I'll be damned if I start with them.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

I agree. As I say, "If their lips are moving, rest assured lies are issuing forth."
edit on 18-11-2014 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

That just seems wrong , wheres the freedom in that I ought to be able to have any ole page I want , seems sketchy to me , who benefits? the people ? I think not , limiting information yet again

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Social media is the only viable way that an alternative or 3rd party candidate could get enough momentum to challenge the Rep-Dem Mafia. And polls during the midterms showed that the populace is dusting-off the pitchforks. So yea, FB and others will curtail their use in political campaigns at the behest of the Rep-Dem Mafia. Not because of privacy concerns or any sense of political fairness but because the money behind the mafia SAYS TO. Just like countries blocking twitter and FB when the citizenry gets uppity.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Flavor of the month really. Zuck doesn't want to wind up in a congressional hearing for aiding the enemy [Obama]
So he is acting like he cares because the dems got killt.

Everyone does it .. except me. I don't give a damn about other peoples feelings nor do I cut corners.

Hell, Look how many people don't like bama here... couple years ago most everyone was kissing his ass.

new topics

top topics

join