It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

borscht....got a good recipe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
im making borscht tomorrow. i have never made it before so i am still open to recipes if there are any professionals here.

i found a recipe i like the sound of online....
just looking for some personal experience with making it....

any help/tips are appreciated

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Well, I can't really give you a recipe per se... but this is my favourite borscht (it's how my grandma always made it):

- I use the rib broth from the baby back ribs that I made the day before... I boil my ribs to render the fat before charbroiling them on the bbq or baking them in the oven. So I save that broth and use it as my base for borscht the next day.

- boiled, peeled, and sliced beets
- sliced onion, carrots, and celery
- 1 pound of hamburger, fried and browned
- 1 can of pork and beans
- extra beef broth in case there's not enough rib broth to make a full pot of soup
- salt and pepper to taste (I sometimes add a little bit of dill weed too, it gives a nice additional flavour)

In the pot you're going to make the soup, brown your hamburger in a bit of butter, then add in your onions, carrots, and celery to deglaze all the browned goodness from the bottom of the pot.

Toss in the rest of your ingredients and cook over medium-low heat for at least a few hours to really get all the flavours cooked through nicely.

When serving, top it with a dollop of sour cream... and eat it with a slice of crusty bread.

Nummies !

Edit:

Oh, I forgot to add: chop up the beet tops and add them to your borscht as well... there's tons of flavour in the beet tops !

edit on 16-11-2014 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

i got a great one i use....givbe me a day or two to find and post it

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

i got a great one i use....givbe me a day or two to find and post it

im making it tomorrow but please post it still.

if it does not turn out good i might have to adjust

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
this is the recipe i am using but i am not going to follow it to the letter

1 lb Beef: sirloin, stew meat, or whatever kind of beef you like, really (bone-in or boneless *see note)
1 Tbsp salt + more to taste
2 large or 3 medium beets, washed, peeled and grated
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp tomato sauce, or paste (or 3 Tbsp ketchup)
1 Tbsp butter
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 carrots, grated
2 large or 3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced into bite-sized pieces
½ head of small cabbage, sliced
2 tomatoes, peeled and diced (**see note)
2 bay leaves
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley + more for garnish
2 cloves garlic, pressed
Garnish: Sour cream and fresh sprigs of parsley or dill.

Wash meat in cold water, cut into 1" pieces and and place in a large soup pot with 14 cups cold water and 1 Tbsp salt. Bring it to a boil and remove the foam crud as soon as it boils (if you wait, it will be hard to get rid of the crud as it integrates into the broth and you'd have to strain it later). Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer 45 minutes - 1 hr, periodically skimming off any crud that rises to the top.
Grate beets on the large grater holes (a food processor works amazingly well). Place them in a large heavy-bottom skillet with 4 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp vinegar and saute for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to med/low and add 1 Tbsp sugar and 2 Tbsp tomato sauce Mix thoroughly and saute until starting to soften, stirring occasionally (about 10 min). Remove from pan and set aside.
In the same skillet (no need to wash it), Saute onion in 1 Tbsp butter for 2 min. Add grated carrot and sautee another 5 min or until softened, adding more oil if it seems too dry.
Once the meat has been cooking at least 45 min, place sliced potatoes into
the soup pot and cook 10 min, then add cabbage, sauteed beets, onion & carrot, and chopped tomatoes. Cook another 10 minutes or until potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork.
Add 2 bay leaves, ¼ tsp pepper, and more salt to taste (I added another ½ tsp salt).
Chop parsley and pressed garlic then stir them into the soup pot, immediately cover and remove from heat. Let the pot rest covered for 20 minutes for the flavors to meld.
----------------------

im probably going to brown the meat first.....might not be traditional but boiling sirloin only does not sound right...im not going to fully cook the meat..just brown it a bit

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

My Russian girlfriend says the recipe you are using is pretty much spot on, not to the letter though.
She uses white cabbage which takes longer to soften than potatoes.
Sometimes she uses chicken instead of beef which also works well
Make sure to add the vinegar and sugar to the beetroot
Vinegar keeps the colour of the beetroot and the sugar is to cancel out the vinegar.

Let us know how it went, good luck.

Its one of my favourite dinners t'is a hearty meal to be sure...

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
its on the stove right now and it looks and smells awesome....
i changed the recipe a bit.....i'll put a few pics up in a minute

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
yeah man....this stuff is off the chain

new topics

top topics

join