It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman suing owner of dog that her dogs killed

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Insane lawsuit. I hope it gets thrown out. Any lawyer who took this case should be shamed out of the business, IMO.

On pitbulls... it's NOT the breed. It's the owner and how the dog is raised. They are actually precious and sweet dogs. But the owner has to know what they're doing and take responsibility for how their dogs are, regardless of the breed. This owner clearly has a problem meeting the needs of her dogs. If they were raised as fighting dogs, they absolutely can be rehabilitated, but it takes work.

I can't believe people still think that pitbulls are inherently dangerous dogs... It's just ignorance.

On the pitbulls biting the owners... when a dog (ANY dog) is in the heightened state of a fight with another dog, any distraction will be perceived as a threat and the dog will likely redirect its bite to the human. It's not like they DECIDE to bite the owner. It's an instinct.

People who don't understand dogs shouldn't have them.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

I agree, the owners of the begal should be laying a counter lawsuit against the owner of the pitbull in response, that their animals could have put their child at risk, along with anyone else. And as part of the settlement that all 4 of them be put down for the good of neighborhood.

I own dogs, I take responsibility for said dogs, from vet, to training, and never let them out without being around. I also ensure that they are well under control and secure, and if they did that, I would put them down as they would be too dangerous for me to have around. Last time my oldest dog attacked another, that option was on the table and I was willing to pay for not only all vet costs, but also to have the remains disposed of that the owner wanted, and to replace said animal, from my pocket.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

I wondered the same thing. Should we expect any less? Sad days, indeed, but that's not new.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
If that is the case, then you are right, thank you for disspelling the misconception that has become common knowledge. And $20,000? That should have been nothing.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Every pit bull owner says the same thing...."it's not the dog, it's the way they are raised". Baloney!

All dogs can bite, but when a pit bites, it won't let go till there is death. I have researched this topic in the past because I know of several incidents personally regarding this breed where a person or other animal was attacked without provocation by a pit bull. You always hear the owner say something like "oh, he's the sweetest dog I have ever owned...he wouldn't hurt a flea....he has never done anything like this before!"

They are unpredictable and when they do decide to attack, they latch on and don't let go. It turns my stomach to hear people defend them at the expense of the safety of a child or other pet. They don't get a bad rap for no reason as many of their owners will claim.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Silly woman. She's suing the wrong party. The owner of the beagle did not bite her, her own pit bulls did. She should sue the pit bulls. She's got a good case and would probably win. Good luck on collecting the judgement, though.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
All dogs can bite, but when a pit bites, it won't let go till there is death.

That's just a stupid rumor. And I am not a pitbull owner. Nor would I be. I just know a lot about dogs.

They are unpredictable...

No more "unpredictable" than any other breed of dog. If you know anything about dogs, they're very predictable. Just because a person doesn't know the language doesn't mean the dog is unpredictable. It means the person doesn't know the language of dogs.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I respectfully disagree with you. I probably know as much as you do about dogs. And as I said, I know of several incidents personally where a pit bull, unprovoked, attacked. There are certain types of people that just can't abide what they perceive as prejudice against ANY breed and will insist to the end that when a pit attacks, it is just because someone looked at it wrong or moved or smelled funny. The problem is that when it attacks, it latches on till the death.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

And as I said, I know of several incidents personally where a pit bull, unprovoked, attacked.

Many dogs will attack unprovoked (out of fear, aggression, insecurity, a perceived threat, or whatever). A chihuahua can attack unprovoked. It's not just pitbulls who do this and not all pitbulls do it, so it's not about the breed. That's like saying all black people are criminals.

There are certain types of people that just can't abide what they perceive as prejudice against ANY breed and will insist to the end that when a pit attacks, it is just because someone looked at it wrong or moved or smelled funny.

Well, I'm not "that type of person". (unprovoked is not the same as unpredictable) I actually think people SHOULD have prejudice when thinking about getting a dog. Breeds have different characteristics. But pitbulls are no more inherently dangerous than any bully breed, a GSD, Rottie, Cane Corso, Akita, etc.

The problem is that when it attacks, it latches on till the death.

From personal experience, I've seen them fight and everyone came out of it just fine... In other words, they didn't latch on till death. So, I respectfully disagree.

This isn't really the place to have this discussion, anyway. I apologize to the OP for the off-topic posts.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Every pit bull owner says the same thing...."it's not the dog, it's the way they are raised". Baloney!

All dogs can bite, but when a pit bites, it won't let go till there is death. I have researched this topic in the past because I know of several incidents personally regarding this breed where a person or other animal was attacked without provocation by a pit bull. You always hear the owner say something like "oh, he's the sweetest dog I have ever owned...he wouldn't hurt a flea....he has never done anything like this before!"

They are unpredictable and when they do decide to attack, they latch on and don't let go. It turns my stomach to hear people defend them at the expense of the safety of a child or other pet. They don't get a bad rap for no reason as many of their owners will claim.

Wrong, just because you did searches that were probably slanted against pitbulls does not make it truth. I have already said multiple times I have seen and have broken up several dog fights where pitbulls are involved. Pitbulls don't "lock" their jaw, they just have a very strong bite. However, pitbulls actually have a weaker bite than Rottweilers, Dobermans, Mastiffs and GERMAN SHEPHERDS.

The reason pitbulls have a bad rap is because they are the most common breed used in dog fighting. It is a stereotype just "Golden Retrievers best family dog" or "German Shepherd good police dog" or "Bloodhound, good hunting dog". Pitbulls just have a negative Stereotype because of criminals like Michael Vick.

Pitbulls were valued in Early America as guard dogs so they could stay at home and protect the children while the Older family members were out in the field doing work. If you want to argue aggressiveness, why don't you condemn breeds such as Irish Wolfhounds who were bred to hold their own against a wild wolf?

It is all how you raise them, and their surroundings. Neither of these is the fault of the pitbull, just as not teaching a child that stealing is not allowed is no fault of the child's. It is also the atmosphere in which they are raised. Pitbulls are typically not an apartment dog unless you are willing to take the dog out multiple times a day as they are extremely energetic.

IN SUMMARY: Your empirical 'research' does not stack up to a person who has great experience raising the dog. Did you know that scientists just recently 'confirmed' that dogs are receptive to human emotion when raised around humans? Anyone who has owned a dog in their life could tell you that, for a lot cheaper too.

If you want real proof. Get a pitbull as a puppy, train them, socialize them and make sure they have an outlet like playing fetch or swimming so they are not destructive in the home. You will find they are no different than any other breed of dog, and will have their own personality.I have seen many submissive pitbulls that cower when yelled at for eating a shoe or gnawing at the couch. And, big surprise, NONE OF THEM mauled their owner! 0.o

edit on 16-11-2014 by chuck258 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: chuck258

I think its the lawyers who encourage these blatant cases to get to court so they can earn their fees that are at fault

Legal proceedings for vexatious causes should be stopped immediately and lawyers told they will get struck off if they encourage people to pay them to represent them in such nonsense.

Its like to woman who sued the microwave company when she herself put her do into it to dry it off. Both her and her lawyers should have been behind bars, not benefitting from the leagal fees the laser obviously earned himself and her for blatant wicked cruelty. When yhou can make such an ass of the law - the law becomes that ass in ordinary people's perception of it.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
How does this get court time?

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

It is sad that you are spewing such ignorance. It is even more sad that you got starred for that.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Being bitten while attempting to break up a dog fight is not uncommon. In the frenzy of the fight, the dog responds to you grabbing him by thinking you are another dog attacking him.

I'll bet the lawsuit claims that the other party built the fence and that the fence was shoddily built or had deteriorated. I'm not saying that person bringing the lawsuit should win, just that that's probably the crux of the case.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   

If I was the judge, I would toss her in jail and put her dogs down. Her dogs attack, and she sues the other guy, who was nice enough not to demand more??? Wow.....

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
hmmmmmmm.
i wonder why there really are no guard dogs by way of beagles, basset hounds, dachsunds, toy foxes and such...

im sure there is a reason but i cant think of what it is

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I'm not very impressed with this disgusting woman's neighbour Either,quite frankly.If he had cared about his little Beagle,if he had really loved his dog,if he had Any sense of right and wrong,or any common sense whatsoever-he would have had this woman prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and the dogs put down.What if it was a child? If he's not a parent yet-and maybe it's not such a good idea for such a "detached" person(for lack of what I'd really like to say) to become a parent anyway.

What if friends had been visiting with their child,and the dogs went for the child? He was irresponsible letting this idiotic nitwit bitch get away wth it in the first place! How are idiots ever gonna learn if people let them get away with outrageous negligence like this?? Her dogs should have been contained in her yard-that is All there is to it.Her fault for the death of her dogs too,if they were put down-let Her live with that.

Oh wth I'm just going to say it.The neighbour sounds like a gutless pussy who did'nt give a toss about his poor dog.And if he is this cavalier about the lives he has the charge of,he damn well should'nt have children either.Idiots,idiots all round.Well with the way the world has become,she will propably win her case,get even more Pitbulls,and next time Mr Nice Guy may just have the 2 raisins that's passing for balls,gnawed right off.a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I don't think this women should get anything from court. Also pitbulls are only dangerous if the owners neglect them, just like with any dog breed. Growing up I was attacked by several small dogs, yeah none of them could eat me but their bites still hurt. Even got chased down by the all loving american golden lab. Pitbulls are perceived as more dangerous because they are the most reported on.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

Kind of reminds me of a couple of folks I saw interviewed, who'd been attacked, and refused to address the root cause. Too many people don't want to assign blame for anything to anyone, no matter what the facts. It's irresponsible, in my mind. As a pet owner, I'd have been more likely to put the dogs down myself, and certainly would have demanded the law do so! What this guy hoped to accomplish, I can't imagine.

I suspect, though, the pit bull owner would have filed a lawsuit either way.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join