It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is it with the cold war people...? Evolution... ever heard of it?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: pez1975

Er okay. But that fear was manufactured from OUR country. It was our government that was once again telling us to be afraid,be very afraid. They have been pushing that nonsense on us for years making their citizens bitter and angry. If they ever told us the truth we would not have backed up the war in Vietnam (the commies are coming),the Korean war(the original commies are coming that lead to war),or the Russians are coming due to Stalin. Don't get me wrong,Stalin was as big a murderer as Hitler if not worse(its really impossible to say how many he killed with all the secret mass burials). But look at Bush and Obama,are they any less responsible for those who have died in Iraq and Libya?The fact is that our government has sold us a bill of sale that is false and has caused the American people to walk around being scared and stressed all the time.They need us to fear and hate others in order for our undying loyalty to jump in wars not to be questioned.In the meantime it has gotten to where Americans get targeted whenever there is a terrorist act being carried out. And you know what,IT WORKS. We run around hating others and calling them terrorists and because they have dumbed down the education system we don't have a clue why others hate us. We also don't bother to ask. Just raise that flag higher people and keep saying how patriotic you are. I just keep in mind that the Nazi's were the most patriotic people ever,nothing was too much to do for the 'fatherland'. And I look around at what we have going now and shudder.
edit on 14-11-2014 by Dimithae because: added words

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
"There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch."
-Nigel Powers

Nuff said.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   

I didn`t got you that wrong.

But here`s an actual history teacher teaching some real history.

He lives in London where for many years he taught history and political science at Barnet College, until his retirement in 2002.

Those same kind of idiots from The West are now doing the same thing again, so where should your hatred go to ?

I grew up in the cold war and know what it is, and are also from The West, I just didn`t be too scared about it. I don`t know how much fear was being put into people in America, but looking at the whole IS/Ebola/Russia/Swine Flu, etc...you people are getting emotionally wrecked by your government/media with fear.

I know where my anger would point towards if that was the case, just saying.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

S&F to you! But it comes down to total ignorance. The way we are raised and so on. However as it is so often said: "Ignorance of the law does not excuse one's crimes." so it should also read that "Ignorance of history does not excuse one's convictions".
One should always "research".
I grew up in Europe during the cold war. And one of my Hobbies back then as a teen was to revive old radios that i had found; - pre-transitor things. And back then there was the "Radio Free Europe" - an USA/NATO station as well the USSR counter part "Radio Kreefeld". I would listen to both stations at night in my room. It appeared at 1st like any normal news cast. Let's take a "strike of the coal miners" for example; news that the common MSM carried anyhow. What "woke me up" was how both stations would cover the same topic explaining what is behind the strike. And from these nights in my room I began to learn how to dissect information. Both stations were the "extreme" of news coverage; literally the 2 faces of a coin; compared to the washed down MSM news on the same topic. And this got my inquisitive teen brain going. Also I might add that I had incredible good history teachers who didn't care so much about the actual "Dates" on an event but explained the causes and backgrounds of a political/historical event.
As long as one "ball parked" it to understand that the American civil war was sometime in the 1860's and Queen Victoria was not the sister of Julius Caesar, our teachers were pretty satisfied.
I personally believe that the true disinterest in most people for actual history lies in the fact that in class we are drilled with mindless dates of historic events instead of true explaining why and how these events happened.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien

Why aren`t you pissed about your won government ?

You do know history isn`t what they told you it was ?

NATO 1949: The origin of an offensive, expansionist, imperialist military alliance.

Source

TY for posting this excellent link!
But yes this is fact that many are never told. As a European having served in the MI during the Cold War with a "Neutral Country", I was privileged to be exposed to a bit more facts. And I do recall that pretty much till to the fall of the Berlin wall, NATO and specifically USA military & gvt officers would see in us "Neutrals" just less fanatic communists. The idea of being "neutral" was almost as offensive than the devil being sprinkled with holy water.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Ill give an idea of how it was as a military child growing up during the cold war. Im sure you all are familiar with the def-con rating 1-5 1 being peace time 5 were at nuclear war. when you live on a base u have to leave it for just about everything to go out to dinner to go shopping to go to a movie what ever and u had to return and be waived through to get home by security at the guard post. anytime Russia made a provocative statement or a provocative act the def con rating would go up in relation to the threat.

At def-com 1 there would be a single guard in the shack in his nice dress blue suite and hat with a 45 side arm he would walk out of the shack and smile and wave you through.

At def-con 2 there would be 2 guards in there dress blues one would have a m16 rife he would be on the outside of the shack at all times the other gaurd would come out and wave u through

At def-con 3 there would be 4 gaurds or more with m16 pointing at ur car when u pulled up 1 would ask the driver for his ID while one would walk around ur car with bomb dog while the other 2 keep there m16 fixed on ur car.

At def-con 4 it really got scary with a tank pointing its cannon at ur car 4-5 m16's and a guy pointing the 50 cal on top of the tank at u with huge bomb blast barriers on either side everyone in the car was told to exit the car everyones ID was checked even the kids had military ID while they circled ur car with mirrors to check under it for bombs 2-3 k9 units with barking dogs all around u and being patted down for weapon by heavily armed men in camo and there was no smiles this happend every time u went to the store down the road for a gallon of milk and returned home.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

I can understand and identify with you being "fed up" with some of the posts here. It's very hard not to be "fed up" at times. I myself don't quite get some of the rantings, hate, and exclusivity on this, among many, internet forums. What works for me is to attack the message, not the messenger. I don't take any of this personally, not on forums. And I try to phrase my replies in such a way that the focus is, indeed, the message. When the message is filled with hateful rhetoric I generally dont respond, it's not worth my time to get involved with someone's beliefs.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

I don't think that is always the case. I grew up during the cold war,being a baby boomer and I'm not afraid of Russia or think they are coming for us. I think they will fight back if we keep provoking them. And I think they will bring the fight to our shores to let us see what its like.But I don't think they will be the ones to start it. They won't have to start it when you have losers like Kerry,Clinton,Psaki and Nuland running around trying to start WW3.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Not a cold war kid, but I really don't get the foreign hate all around, either. The lengths some Americans go to to display xenophobia is, to be blunt, humiliating. It's humiliating to be under the same national origin descriptor with people like that. I dislike (ok, hate) certain domestic Russian policies/laws, but the people themselves are pretty awesome. And the accent, OMG. Nothing sexier than a Russian rolling the R's hard < melts into puddle >

So yeah, I don't get why people hate Russians. These tend to be the same xenophobes who can't figure out why foreigners don't think Americans are the shiz.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join