It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michael Brown's parents address U.N.: 'We need the world to know'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Did a search, didn't find this.

Anyone else find this odd? Why would they be going to the UN to raise awareness about Ferguson?

(CNN) -- The parents of Michael Brown, a Missouri teen killed by police, testified before a U.N. committee Tuesday because they want the world to know "what's going on in Ferguson."

"We need the world to know what's going on in Ferguson and we need justice," McSpadden told CNN in Geneva, Switzerland.

"We need answers and we need action. And we have to bring it to the U.N. so they can expose it to the rest of the world, what's going on in small town Ferguson."

I find it odd that this is happening at the same time as the UN gun ban treaty.

CNN

edit on 11 12 2014 by stosh64 because: eta video

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Nice how the parents want justice.
They only want to punish someone that they are sure is guilty. That's not justice it's blind revenge.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Anyone else find this odd? Why would they be going to the UN to raise awareness about Ferguson?

the 2nd film states that it is part of creating a global movement. Tie this in with the UN ban of guns on the 24th and the TPP raises a lot of questions as to the seriousness of all of this and who is paying the expenses for abroad travel for a poor family? I do not know enough about political issues to make a good judgement call on any of this. Hopefully the more advanced ATS members can shed a little more light on this for all of us.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Nice how the parents want justice.
They only want to punish someone that they are sure is guilty. That's not justice it's blind revenge.

Exactly. What is going on in Ferguson? Rage from the black community because of unchecked racism fueled by the likes of professional race-baiters Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. Those two clowns would have no career if it were not for racism, which is why they keep it alive. A black gangsta wannabe is dead because he attacked a cop. Justice they say? Justice was served. Blacks aren't immune to the law, ya know.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: RunForTheHills

the 2nd film states that it is part of creating a global movement. Tie this in with the UN ban of guns on the 24th and the TPP raises a lot of questions as to the seriousness of all of this and who is paying the expenses for abroad travel for a poor family? I do not know enough about political issues to make a good judgement call on any of this. Hopefully the more advanced ATS members can shed a little more light on this for all of us.

Well, I don't qualify as a "more advanced" ATS member, except perhaps in age. I'm not sure if the situation in Ferguson rises to the level of a political issue. My take on this is that the provocateurs in the Ferguson saga see this as a "Social Justice" issue and that, to them, equals something of a political issue. You'll note from the CNN article that their aim is: "for recommendations that would apply to the entire United States, including that the attorney general and Department of Justice "must conduct a nationwide investigation of systematic police brutality and harassment in black and brown communities, and youth in particular. Methodology and findings of this investigation must be made publicly available."

In going to the UN, they hope to bring international scrutiny to the issue of police brutality and use of racial profiling by US police departments in unfairly targeting "people of color" in criminal investigations.

This is, to me at least, all rather peculiar, particularly in reference to the situation in Ferguson. I understand their problem, but it doesn't appear to me that the Ferguson situation was the best example they could have chosen for this type campaign.

The real peculiarity of the Ferguson situation is that Ferguson, the town itself, is 66% black and yet, the Mayor is white, the City Council is white, the police chief is white and the police department is predominantly white. This seems to suggest that the black community has been altogether absent from local politics. They would certainly have the votes to elect a black Mayor, city council, etc. And yet, they describe their situation, when confronted with predominantly white police officers and riot control troops, as an "occupation" of what they obviously feel is a "black" township.

The "feel" I get for this thing is that, assuming the grand jury doesn't indict the officer involved in the shooting, Ferguson and the surrounding area will erupt in rioting and protests. Its possible that the protest movement will extend to other US cities in sympathy with the Ferguson citizens. The "oddity" of all this is that in taking this to the UN, the "Social Justice" advocates are near to raising this situation to a South Africa "Apartheid" type issue on the global, international stage. What's strange about this is that there isn't an "Apartheid" system in place in the US, but the Ferguson agitators seem to be delivering the message that "white cops" shouldn't be allowed to police predominantly black areas or "townships". So, its almost like they are arguing for "re-segregation" in terms of special treatments for predominantly black areas or "townships".

Its going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Lesley McSpadden and Michael Brown Sr. spoke to the United Nations Committee Against Torture -- which also works against cruel or degrading treatment or punishment by government authorities

It has nothing to do with guns. They are speaking to the Committee Against Torture. Apparently they believe what is happening in black communities like Ferguson is equal to torture.
edit on 11/12/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
In my opinion, the Brown family is only hoping to seek some kind of "Officer Wilson- is -guilty" support from an international body, mainly because they know they will not get it here.

My hope is that the U.N. is smart enough to gather ALL the evidence, not just the evidence that has been cherry-picked by Brown's parents.

Question: Are they hoping (and is it even possible) for this U.N. talk to assist with the Grand Jury decision or legal trial? Is that warranted?
edit on 12-11-2014 by StarGazer77 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-11-2014 by StarGazer77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
They're going to the UN because they know that there will be no indictment, and they already know the Supereme Court will be of no help. All the evidence that's been released seems to point to the officer firing his weapon in self defense. The lack of an indictment will almost certainly cause the Ferguson area and perhaps others to erupt into riots.

My thinking on the matter: The police should just let the riots happen unchecked. No intervention at all. They complain and whine about police overreach, yet when the community itself starts riots, I'm sure there will be calls for the police to come in and help.

The irony is almost delicious.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
And the fun thing in all this is the torture complaint is coming from a woman who faces a charge of assault.

The Ferguson Police Department is currently investigating claims that Lesley McSpadden brought a group of people — including her own mother — to beat vendors and rob them of their “Justice for Mike Brown” merchandise Oct. 18, The Smoking Gun has learned.

One person was hospitalized in the reported attack and another unidentified alleged victim was reportedly beaten with a pipe.

McSpadden’s former mother-in-law, Pearlie Gordon, was among those beaten by “a large group of about 20-30 subjects” who had “jumped out of vehicles and rushed” the group of sellers, according to the police report.

Michael Brown's Mom

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Can't wait to see some blue hats out here in Texas!

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
well if you go by the way the West reports Muslim dictators it would be fair to say that the Obama regime is killing its own people. In Western media Muslim dictator stories the bad dictators gives direct orders to local law enforcement, so if we apply that to the US it would be fair to say that the Obama regime has sent its private police force on a rampage against his own people.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: feldercarb

Like mother like son, I guess.

It's sad that this happened. The whole situation is just getting sadder and sadder. Violence begets violence, I suppose.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
They're going to the UN because they know that there will be no indictment, and they already know the Supereme Court will be of no help. All the evidence that's been released seems to point to the officer firing his weapon in self defense. The lack of an indictment will almost certainly cause the Ferguson area and perhaps others to erupt into riots.

My thinking on the matter: The police should just let the riots happen unchecked. No intervention at all. They complain and whine about police overreach, yet when the community itself starts riots, I'm sure there will be calls for the police to come in and help.

The irony is almost delicious.

I sooooo agree with you!!

I can't believe that there are serious talks of asking the police NOT to defend themselves if the protesters get out of hand. They can't wear riot gear or bring out military-style utilities.

WHAT???

I agree with you. Pay the officers 6 month leave with pay and let the town be over-ran by many more "Gentle Giants"...allow them to see the irony in their requests.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: chishuppu

It never fails that nearly every thread on ATS, there's always that one poster who tries to tie-in some tragedy to somehow be Obama's fault.

Hi there! Is Obama responsible for Ebola too? Did he order the assassination of John Kennedy? Oh, I know. He faked the moon landing too!

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Thanks for your insight.

It is going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
When does the T-Shirt come out.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

What's strange about this is that there isn't an "Apartheid" system in place in the US, but the Ferguson agitators seem to be delivering the message that "white cops" shouldn't be allowed to police predominantly black areas or "townships". So, its almost like they are arguing for "re-segregation" in terms of special treatments for predominantly black areas or "townships". Text

With my tunnel vision(i am working on it) I did not see if from this angle. So this could be another way to help divide the people.

Well, I don't qualify as a "more advanced" ATS member, except perhaps in age

it seems you do have more knowledge of this situation than I.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

It is weird that we're seeing the UN concerned with US problems. I believe the UN recently came out about human rights violations in Detroit. Not sure if the Administration is giving them the go ahead or if the UN is overstepping their authority.

I do not like the fact that the police are becoming militarized nor am I happy with their shoot first attitude. Perhaps if they were part of the community it would help
alleviate some of the problems.

As for the All White leadership in Fergusen: Who elected them If the community is predominately black? Does seem strange unless Fergusen is part of a larger community.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

'We need the world to know'

They need the world to know what exactly? No one knows what happened because the Grand Jury hasn't released the information and hasn't shown the evidence yet. They might want to wait until the evidence is released before they bring attention to Ferguson because the facts MAY point to their adult son being a thief and a bully.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
When does the T-Shirt come out.

The Ferguson Police Department is currently investigating claims that Lesley McSpadden brought a group of people — including her own mother — to beat vendors and rob them of their “Justice for Mike Brown” merchandise Oct. 18, The Smoking Gun has learned.

They are already selling the Tshirts in Ferguson.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join