It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution a Religion

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Yes once evolution finds it's way into a faith debate then it is also a form of religion. Otherwise it would sit completly outside of religious topics.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

Only when someone who is offended by the idea of evolution has an axe to grind. I'm a spiritual person (not Abrahamic mind you) who has no issue with any science and my spiritual path. So I may be a tad biased ....oh and I'm a scientist.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
Yes once evolution finds it's way into a faith debate then it is also a form of religion. Otherwise it would sit completly outside of religious topics.

The only people who do that are religious people who don't believe in evolution. Evolution isn't about faith, it's about the proof, and there is a LOT of proof for it.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

some truth in your post but you can not honestly say that only religious people bring up the issue of evolution in debates. the difference is that when someone who does not have faith does it they are opening the door and thereby saying they are not content with what they feel is fact so they need to spout the facts so they can affirm their beliefs. That makes them believers and their evolution theories a faith based belief system.

Entering into a debate is admitting the debate exist. Proven facts need not be debated otherwise they are just opinions open for debate.
edit on 12-11-2014 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

There is a difference between educating someone and debating someone. The problem with the evolution vs creationism topic is that both sides are trying to do a different form of conversation. The evolution proponents are trying to educate the creationists and the creationists are trying to debate the evolution proponents. If the creationists would just shut up for once and listen to the evolutionists and actually LEARN what evolution is and says, then maybe the evolution proponents would be more willing to debate the topic with them.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

The here is people, they like lording it over others. The militant atheists (like Dawkins) troll the Religious folks. The militant religious folks (lets pick on Kirk Cameron because he's a twat) troll the scientists. Pagans (I'm one) have those who like to blame "Christians" for stealing their holydays (ignoring they likely ganked it from a previous group, or that there are huge overlaps between different cultures).

The (scientific) Theory of Evolution is not a relgion, simply because it relies on quantifiable facts. How some people treat it is. These tend to be non experts who also probably use the words "quantum effects" to validate something that previously would have been "a miracle" or "magic".

But evolution as an idea is not a religion. Creationism (for example) and Intelligent design are as they have an aspect of faith in their core.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

sarc/ What you advocate being informed? Nah that will never work ..... /sarc

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

I know right! Such a CRAZY concept being informed.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

false you can not educate someone with facts that are up for debate. We do not have many debates over the fact that 0degree f. is cold when you stand out in it naked. Again when one enters into a forum designed for those that believe in religion and faith and have accepted it as true then that person is thereby stating that what they bring in is a religion of faith of their own and are trying to convert through giving what they hold as their beliefs. You claim facts and so do i. I know Jesus i have met him that is a fact that goes beyond me needing any what you call proof because i witnessed it.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Abednego
The odd thing about medical miracles is that no one ever grows back a lost limb or similar. Always seems be something that could be misdiagnosed or recover naturally.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

You have a problem with that line of reasoning. Every one has an idea of what zero degress is (well not in Kelvin but ... Celcius and F we do).

People don't educate themselves (or receive education for that matter) in the scientific theory you need to argue for or against evolution.

We all believe in gravity (for it is self evident) but its less well understood than evolution.

All these points return to the fact, you need to be educated in something to debate it. Otherwise you pretty much are being ignorant (of the facts).

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

No you are missing what I am saying. When a creationist comes into an evolution discussion and says things like "evolution says that man evolved from monkeys" or "evolution says that life came from nothing", that ISN'T up for debate. That is just being wrong. Evolution doesn't say any of those things and by saying those things, the creationist is just highlighting his ignorance to the subject. I'm not saying that once educated on evolution, the creationist has to believe it as true, but arguing with a strawman idea of what evolution is is just dumb and a distraction.

Also facts aren't up for debate. Facts are just that, facts. Opinions are up for debate. The idea that 0 degrees F is cold is an opinion, and a subjective one at that. It isn't a fact.
edit on 12-11-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

There is also the fact (for diseases) that many tests are not 100% accurate. For example the most commonly used tests for prostate cancer are between 50 and 60% accurate (there is a better one which is 98% accurate, but still that is not 100%). False positives happen.

Cancers go into remission. etc etc

But that's nothing to do with evolution

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Heck had my first up finger up the bum test last week...and you say it isn't 100%.
Gulp

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
lol evolution is false. if one comes into such debate then it is accepted because the facts can prove them wrong if they exist. on the other hand in a faith debate it is not about facts at all. entering into the section here requires one to have some tpe of faith on the other hand theories and such are welcome in other forums. It is much the same in houses of worship. again when someone comes into a religious or faith debate then they are admitting they have some type of belief system or faith in that system. That says athiesism is a religion and so is science if it is brought to the debate. My views would not last long in a science classroom for that reason.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

That's why I pointed out that this thread is in the wrong forum. Evolution ISN'T a religion. It has established evidence and proof to validate it. You still seem to be ignoring my point about being educated on what evolution actually says though. So you advocate using straw mans to try to disprove evolution?

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Please show were it is false.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Mate that is even worse. There are blood tests (50 -60%), and then a local company (Dunedin New Zealand) has the 98% accurate one, its pee in a cup, so non invasive. Sadly getting various insurance companies in the US to accept it has proven a problem for them. Its been around 15 years and only now making head way.

Not that this is on topic, beyond it sort of self selecting to not adopt a better test. Self selecting to fail.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

yes evolution is a religion and so is science. case in point what is an inch? what is a degree? These are measurments that are not precise but we have faith in them cause they are close enough for what we use them for. To precisley measure something then all parts must be accounted for. In the case of an inch we are only getting close because to be completly accuretly on a ruler one would need to count every atom within the set amount of space. This has not been done and we have faith that an in. is an in. this is where the numbers start to lie. When you cut it in half then in half it just keeps getting smaller because the first unit was never correctly measured. Science is accepted theory after accepted theory backed up by repeatable processes but never completly proven. just peer accepted because they ran out of debatable knowledge.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

They may not be accurate for you (mind you I do metrics, I'm in the modern world). But as a Scientist (Pharmaceutical chemist, and bioinformaticist) I've got better ways of measuring them. The metric measurements all have standards that are calibrated. When I go into my QC lab each day, I pull out a set of weights, and make sure my balances are calibrated.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join