It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. and China Reach Deal on Climate Change in Secret Talks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

BEIJING — China and the United States made common cause on Wednesday against the threat of climate change, staking out an ambitious joint plan to curb carbon emissions as a way to spur nations around the world to make their own cuts in greenhouse gases.

The landmark agreement, jointly announced here by President Obama and President Xi Jinping, includes new targets for carbon emissions reductions by the United States and a first-ever commitment by China to stop its emissions from growing by 2030.

U.S. and China Reach Deal on Climate Change in Secret Talks

This news just broke a couple minutes ago.

It looks like the U.S. and China, despite all of their military posturing, have been working together on back-channels regarding climate change.

Administration officials said the agreement, which was worked out secretly between the United States and China over nine months and included a letter from Mr. Obama to Mr. Xi proposing a joint approach, could galvanize efforts to negotiate a new global climate agreement by 2015.

Is this an indication of improving relations between the two Super Powers?

I recall President Obama talking about a "pivot towards Asia", is this part of it?

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: gatorboi117

That's great in principle, however, from your source;

Administration officials acknowledged that Mr. Obama could face opposition to his plans from a Republican-controlled Congress. While the agreement with China needs no congressional ratification, lawmakers could try to roll back Mr. Obama’s initiatives, undermining the United States’ ability to meet the new reduction targets.

I'm guessing it's a whole bag full of hot air that'll float way up into the sky and get videoed by someone, who then puts in onto youtube, which then ends up as a UFO sighting, and is subsequently posted multiple times here on ATS in the Aliens & UFO forum.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Australia was making good progress towards meeting its climate agreements, then a change in leadership and back to a coal based economy. With China having a more stable governance structure they are in a better position to follow through on any such agreements. As what happens in 2030, the issues are much more political than technical.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Hopefully none of this nonsense can be enforced without approval from Congress. I am glad that we are trying to work peacefully with the Chinese, but it would be better if we worked on something like nuclear disarmament. I am lukewarm regarding this 'progress'.
edit on 2014/11/11 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
No real particulars on the agreement. I am sure that the agreement will not effect businesses negatively but will cause grief to the regular people. Everyone's utilities will rise and they will convince people to put more high cost low power light bulbs in.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   

OMG run! Obama really is in cahoots with the COMMUNISTS!!!

This is a pretty huge, historic thing – but honestly I don’t think it’s as much of a political breakthrough as it is just a sign of the rapidly changing tide.

Carbon-free technology is making enormous progress and these two superpowers are just officially acknowledging its unstoppable momentum at this point. The U.S. is expected to hit solar grid parity in the next couple of years for example:

Solar Grid Parity In All 50 US States By 2016, Predicts Deutsche Bank

Still it’s nice to see politicians act like grown-ups for a change anyway.

Having said that you can of course expect the fossil fuel fundees to throw a complete temper tantrum as their carbon-based oligarchy disintegrates all around them. (I can’t wait to hear the endless stream of hyperbole about how clean power, fuel efficiency, energy independence, etc are giant attacks on our personal liberties and freedoms somehow).

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: mc_squared

I can’t wait to hear the endless stream of hyperbole about how clean power, fuel efficiency, energy independence, etc are giant attacks on our personal liberties and freedoms somehow

I vote for whatever is cheapest. I would be happy if our energy came from burning bat guano if it was the cheapest form of energy. Once green energy is the cheapest form (without Government artificially making it the cheapest) then I am all for green energy. Until then drill baby drill.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Lies......lies......and more lies. China agreed to stop it emissions growing by 2030........Really......That just great thanks China. While back in America we are actually doing something. Our cities you can breath in.....China not so much.

Obama is one lie after another.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Hopefully none of this nonsense can be enforced without approval from Congress. I am glad that we are trying to work peacefully with the Chinese, but it would be better if we worked on something like nuclear disarmament. I am lukewarm regarding this 'progress'.

When it comes to building relationships with advisories, you have to walk before you run. These small agreements create "trust" between countries. One thing about the United States, we don't keep the doors of communication open with our perceived enemies. The minute we close the door, we increase the chances of making any kind of in roads to improve relations and possibly change their ideology about their way of governing.

I personally feel all world leaders should meet once a year for a summit. Not for the purpose of doing business, or using it as a forum to express their grievances, but a way to put politics aside and get to know each other on a personal basis so they can create a genuine friendship with each other. It's much easier to listen, cooperate, and form a trust with a friend rather then a perceived enemy,
edit on 12-11-2014 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
It is really hard to say what they really talked about .Obama may have gave him the inside scoop on the co2 scam that we have come to call climate change .Maybe China will be chosen for the co2 carbon bank to sell all the credits and make a buck .

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I can’t wait to hear the endless stream of hyperbole about how clean power, fuel efficiency, energy independence, etc are giant attacks on our personal liberties and freedoms somehow

I vote for whatever is cheapest. I would be happy if our energy came from burning bat guano if it was the cheapest form of energy. Once green energy is the cheapest form (without Government artificially making it the cheapest) then I am all for green energy. Until then drill baby drill.

Have you even bothered to see how much money the governments give the oil companies in subsidies? Not to mention how much in taxes we let them get away with not paying due to foreign tax free zones? Like when Exxon made billions in profit didn't pay one cent in taxes and got back over a hundred million in tax returns. The government has been making oil the cheapest for decades.
edit on 12-11-2014 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

Lies......lies......and more lies. China agreed to stop it emissions growing by 2030........Really......That just great thanks China. While back in America we are actually doing something. Our cities you can breath in.....China not so much.

Obama is one lie after another.

China is actually leading the world in switching over to green technology and produces the most energy using it.
Renewable energy in China

In 2013, China led the world in renewable energy production, with a total capacity of 378 GW, mainly from hydroelectric and wind power. As of 2014, China leads the world in the production and use of wind power, solar photovoltaic power and smart grid technologies, generating almost as much water, wind and solar energy as all of France and Germany's power plants combined. China’s renewable energy sector is growing faster than its fossil fuels and nuclear power capacity. Since 2005, production of solar cells in China has expanded 100-fold. As Chinese renewable manufacturing has grown, the costs of renewable energy technologies have dropped dramatically. Innovation has helped, but the main driver of reduced costs has been market expansion.

It's time for America to get off it's lazy ass and get off of fossil fuels.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I'm leery of this agreement just for the fact that it has been made into a political football.

From one side of the US political aisle.

"This unrealistic plan, that the president would dump on his successor, would ensure higher utility rates and far fewer jobs," said incoming Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky, in a statement.

And the other side as well.

"Now there is no longer an excuse for Congress to block action," said Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., who chairs the Senate's environmental panel.

And of course Al Gore can't be one upped by them.

Al Gore, the former vice president and a leading advocate for limiting climate change, called the announcement "a major step forward in the global effort to solve the climate crisis." He said more will be required -- "including a global agreement from all nations -- but these actions demonstrate a serious commitment by the top two global polluters."

Just for the fact that I think all three are yabooheads looking to line their pockets keeps me on the fence regarding cheap alternative energy and pollution reduction.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Sounds to me like Obama is making promises he has no idea how to achieve. He will bone the American people in his attempt to save face. He will fine the energy producers for not being able to meet his goals or will add a few more trillion dollars to the debt to try to meet the goals. Either way the American people will pay through the nose for a president trying to create a legacy other than utter failure.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Have you even bothered to see how much money the governments give the oil companies in subsidies? Not to mention how much in taxes we let them get away with not paying due to foreign tax free zones? Like when Exxon made billions in profit didn't pay one cent in taxes and got back over a hundred million in tax returns. The government has been making oil the cheapest for decades.

ExxonMobil payed over 31 billion in taxes in 2012.

www.usatoday.com...

not to mention the sales tax every state collects from selling their gas. And don't say that the people are paying the sales tax because the people are paying ExxonMobil it's revenues. The money will be collected from you and me one way or the other.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Then again it could be all part of his plan to "fundamentally transform" the US. He did run on that back in 2008 and hasn't veered from his course from what I see. And it does seem to be working.

Job growth is slow at best. So is the economy.
The racial divide has grown.
Almost all of his energy projects that he has backed with the tax payers money has failed big time.
More wars than the previous POTUS.
etc, etc...

And it is all tied to finances, usually of a political nature.

China may be trying to go green, but they also haven't shrugged off fossil fuel either. They produce 30% of the worlds man-made pollutants and really show only a token effort at slowing that down.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

I honestly don't think he's smart enough to understand the consequences of his actions. But hey, that's what happens when you put somebody in charge that has no experience doing anything.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
a reply to: TDawgRex

I honestly don't think he's smart enough to understand the consequences of his actions. But hey, that's what happens when you put somebody in charge that has no experience doing anything.

Never underestimate your enemy comes to mind. I, personally think that Obama is pretty smart. He's using his Constitutional knowledge, along with others to undermine our Nation. And trying to make it look all legal like.

To me...politics is the greatest conspiracy.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I guess by that reasoning everyone should just eat McDonalds dollar menu every day, drive around on leaded gasoline, shun local businesses for Wal-Mart, and make sure every manufactured good has a "Made in China" sticker on it too.

God bless Crapitalism

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
"Oh that darn Obama! How dare he?"

Lol, Jesus Christ Americans are dumb

edit on 13uam11America/Chicago2014Thursday20141114 by duaneology because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join