It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

best media/music player?....which do you use?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
i just got a new laptop today so im back to windows.....i was getting kind of fried on linux...for what i use windows is fine.
anyway, with linux i was using rhythm box and i liked it....i have a lot of music and i can not decide what player i want to use...
i have vlc which i use for video so i guess i could use it for audio too.

i downloaded itunes but i copied over a few files that were flac and itunes didnt even pick them up. i thought they played flac but i guess not.
right now i am using foobar but have not decided if i like it.
windows media player is out.

anyone use media monkey? i heard that was good.
i downloaded a player earlier and i already forgot what it was called but every time i opened it it played this annoying 11 second jingle so thats gone...

i heard good things about winamp too...

which do you think is the best player? something that will play all audio files. i dont need to rip or convert. just play and organize

edit*
ease of use would be nice too

thanks
edit on 11-11-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

I just use regular ol' Itunes. One way you can get around file formats is to download Goldwave, it's free and you can save your files to mp3 format. It's what I do to get around my music software and it's ridiculous file format restrictions.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

i just checked it out and it dont seem like its for me...i dont really want to edit files.
i want to copy them into whatever i am using and play...thats it...

i just have a LOT of music and it gets larger every day...

i mean bob dylans 6 cd basement tapes set just came out....gotta have that

thanks though

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I used to love Nullsoft's Winamp. Add the enhancer plugin and it made my music sound great on a pair of crap Aiwa speakers. Don't know how it is now though. Give it a shot!

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I use Videolan. VLC plays nearly everything and it leaves a little footprint.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

vlc for video. i think im gonna roll with mediabee.....its just what i wanted

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Media Player Classic Home Cinema (MPC-HC) mpc-hc.org...

It kicks VLC to the curb in speed, capabilities, and ease of use.

It can play about 99% of the media files I feed it.

VLC can play the other 0.01% and is better at playing web streams in my experience as well as a few other things.

See this Google search for reasons why...

edit on 11-11-2014 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I think the best ones have already been mentioned.

I like winamp for the simple interface, and good title bar mode. Winamp is what I use the most, I always go back, but have also tried Musicbee and Foobar. Those are not as pretty as winamp, and I think that matters.

They've discontinued winamp because it was bought out, but they are going to re-release soon I think. Anyways, here is a link
to winamp the latest version before it got canceled.

Download Winamp - Filehippo

BTW - I hate iTunes too, its always trying to update constantly and running a backround process all the time. I can't stand that stuff, If i want to use it I will, don't bug me and take up CPU resources when you aren't even running. ARRRG.

ETA: I haven't installed iTunes on this install, and have been good for over 18 months, no viruses(no anti-virus either), no problems nothing. Before that I would always use iTunes and my computer would always crash within 6 months, then reformat.

edit on 11-11-2014 by nrd101 because: edit to add

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Another good search:
MPC-HC VS VLC VS PotPlayer VS GOM Player - Google Search

Lifehacker has a good list of the five best video players with 3 that I have never even heard of before:

• PotPlayer (Windows)

• GOM Player (Windows)

• MPC-HC (Windows)

• XBMC (Windows/Mac/Linux)

• VLC (Windows/OS X/Linux)

Daum PotPlayer is our current App Directory pick as the best video player for Windows, and it’s clear from the nominations that a good number of you agree with us. PotPlayer is lightweight, free and plays just about every file format, codec, media container and type of file with ease. In addition to broad format support, PotPlayer also gives you a wealth of features and controls to get your video playback looking just the way you want. It includes filters for noise reduction, deinterlacing, brightness, contrast and hue. You also get audio controls and lots of skins to customise the UI.

If you don’t want all of those features and settings, then PotPlayer might feel like overkill. However, that degree of power for the low price of absolutely free is very welcome. The software can remember where you left off when you stop watching a video, and if you have a naming convention for TV shows, it will even pick up the next episode when one is finished.

Five Best Desktop Video Players

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid
Media Player Classic Home Cinema (MPC-HC) mpc-hc.org...

It kicks VLC to the curb in speed, capabilities, and ease of use.

Well for a start I believe the OP is looking for a music player rather than a video player. Secondly, MPC is not necessarily better than VLC, they both have their advantages. VLC uses internal codes whereas MPC uses the system codecs, so if your system codecs can't play the file then VLC will probably be able to handle it. But one must also ensure they have good system codecs, which is why I recommend downloading the K-Lite Codec Pack and using the MPC player that comes with that package.
edit on 11/11/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Winamp 5.666 (in the link) plays FLAC, but you must check the codec box on install.

For the love of numbers, why did they make this hiatus version include 666? Weird Illuminati perp...
edit on 11-11-2014 by nrd101 because: edit

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
XBMC will play anything I've ever thrown at it and I've never had to download a codex pack to play anything. If you want a serious media player try it out.
YouTube has tons of videos on how to do all sorts of thing using it.

I rate it the number one media player. That's how sold I am.

The XBMC software is in the middle of a name change, it's is now also known as 'Kodi'.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Make sure you get the CCCP codec pack. No bloatware, very small, and will help you play just about anything. Works great with the 2 good players mentioned as well (VLC and MPC-HC).

www.cccp-project.net...

ETA: I saw someone mention K-Lite .. another good codec choice.
edit on 12-11-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Foobar for music, VLC for video.

edit on 11/12/2014 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I use VLC, and only play FLAC files. Truly high def audio, if you can find 24 bit recordings...

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   
thanks for the but its gonna be musicbee for audio and vlc for video.
i was messing with the bee last night and it is really easy to use.

screw itunes

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
i just got a new laptop today so im back to windows.....i was getting kind of fried on linux...for what i use windows is fine.
anyway, with linux i was using rhythm box and i liked it....i have a lot of music and i can not decide what player i want to use...
i have vlc which i use for video so i guess i could use it for audio too.

i downloaded itunes but i copied over a few files that were flac and itunes didnt even pick them up. i thought they played flac but i guess not.
right now i am using foobar but have not decided if i like it.
windows media player is out.

anyone use media monkey? i heard that was good.
i downloaded a player earlier and i already forgot what it was called but every time i opened it it played this annoying 11 second jingle so thats gone...

i heard good things about winamp too...

which do you think is the best player? something that will play all audio files. i dont need to rip or convert. just play and organize

edit*
ease of use would be nice too

thanks

You can add plug-ins to windows media of all kinds..build your own set-up that way, including different music media types.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

WINAMP. Skins/colors....and both video and music. Great. Used for 4 years now....

(and...FREE...free MP3s from MP3.pl)

edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Nullsoft's Winamp hands down. Skinnable and with great sounding plugins. Be sure to get the Classic Pro plugin and the skins are without equal. Takes care of most video and your iPod too. I got rid of iTunes the second I learned how to manage my MP3's with it. Less Mac bloat on my computer now.

www.skinconsortium.com has all the best skins.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I use AIMP player for music playback. Plays most available audio formats.
www.aimp.ru...
edit on 2014/11/12 by Simsa because: link failed

top topics

<<   2 >>

join