It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Revolution in Physics Coming?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

I feel you may be judging more on how you see things than how my statement was intended.

Technological science and progression in technology is different to the scientific guesswork to how our universe and physics works. As technologic science has a conclusive result.

I was trying to point out how its purely guesswork as we have no real understanding as yet to how it all works. As to be a "science" it needs to have conclusive results, but we don't have these otherwise there wouldn't need to be changes in positions.

But yes new progressions toward this final understanding is a good thing indeed.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
Do you have a link to the scientific definition of a comet ? a reply to: DJW001

Wait until after Thursday.

It may need to be re-written!

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv

I can assure you it will not be changed. Comets are sub-planetary aggregations of ices, silicates and organic compounds following highly elliptical orbits around the Sun. They differ from most asteroids in that these ices and dust volatize as they near the Sun, forming two tails: one composed of dust and the other of ionized gas, or plasma.

On Thursday, they will not turn out to be made of solid metal or have an intense magnetic field.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: jimwise68

There's Practical Science, and there's Theoretical Science.

While there's less proof in theoretical science, the theory is sound on paper. It becomes practical science when we test it, and find that theory to be true. If it is not true, the theory is discarded and other theory is formulated to replace it. Theoretical science is STILL science, it's tested when possible, and when not possible, we build what is necessary to test it. (The LHC was built primarly to find the Higgs, which it DID! That's awesome. A theory on paper turned out to be true is a hallmark of successful theoretical science!) Now the LHC is being used to probe other unanswered questions of quantum physics, or it'll just make a black hole accidentally the whole solar system.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

originally posted by: charlyv

I can assure you it will not be changed. Comets are sub-planetary aggregations of ices, silicates and organic compounds following highly elliptical orbits around the Sun. They differ from most asteroids in that these ices and dust volatize as they near the Sun, forming two tails: one composed of dust and the other of ionized gas, or plasma.

On Thursday, they will not turn out to be made of solid metal or have an intense magnetic field.

Absolutely agree, to a point. We still do not understand the matrix that holds them together, and their physical size seems to violate their calculated mass presently, using standard methods. There could be new science out of this.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: MKMoniker
...if he were alive today I'm sure he'd have come up with better and more relevant theorems by now.

How do you know he didn't? Dried up awful fast at a really interesting time in the world, didn't he?

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   
This is the lecture mentioned in the OP:

Nov. 6, 2014: Dr. Nima Arkani-Hamed (Perimeter Institute and Institute for Advanced Study) delivers the second lecture of the 2014/15 Perimeter Institute Public Lecture Series, in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.

watching it now..

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I'm a bit of a sceptic about certain dogma in the standard model (in an amateur capacity) but I thought this was a great lecture. Nima Arkani-Hamed avoids almost all of the romanticised QM cliches in favour of looking at a highly reduced set of possible particle interactions.

I've also never seen an explanation of the Higgs as clear as the one given here at 39:20

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Absolutely agree, to a point. We still do not understand the matrix that holds them together, and their physical size seems to violate their calculated mass presently, using standard methods. There could be new science out of this.

There are a number of forces holding them together: gravitation, electrostatic and chemical bonding, all in various combinations at different levels. They are like huge orbiting dust devils.
edit on 13-11-2014 by DJW001 because: Edit to correct formatting.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   
When they perfect the workings of quantum entanglement we will have faster than the speed of light communications...

Turn the 1's and 0's from the fiber into on and off switching with atoms through the ether.

And on Comets.....

How is water produced in space? I have not seen any evidence from stars spitting out water...

Only way I can see comets forming is from debris from a destroyed water planet...
edit on 13-11-2014 by Zaanny because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

"How do you know (Einstein) didn't? Dried up awful fast at a really interesting time in the world, didn't he? "

Yes. And Einstein died from an "abdominal aortic aneurysm," with the brain of a 20 year old from staying so active. And when Tesla died in NYC, both the FBI and Navy came in and hauled all his notes away.

en.wikipedia.org...
ALBERT EINSTEIN

en.wikipedia.org...
EINSTEIN'S UNSUCCESSFUL INVESTIGATIONS

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1415883509&sr=1-1&keywords=suppres sed+inventions+and+other+discoveries
SUPPRESSED INVENTIONS AND OTHER DISCOVERIES

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1415883736&sr=1-1&keywords=suppressed+phys ics
THE HIGGS FAKE: HOW PARTICLE PHYSICISTS FOOLED THE NOBEL COMMITTEE

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1415883871&sr=1-1&keywords= forbidden+physics
PHYSICS OF THE IMPOSSIBLE

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1415883935&sr=1-1&keywords=forbidden+ science
FORBIDDEN SCIENCE

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaanny

How is water produced in space?

Hydrogen is the most common element in the universe. Most of it is in the form of ionized plasma. Ionic oxygen is also not uncommon. When ionized hydrogen bumps into ionized oxygen, they bond to become an hydroxyl radical. When hydroxyl bonds to another hydrogen atom, it becomes a water molecule. Of course, water can only exist as water over a narrow range of temperatures and pressures. The current thinking is that as planetesimals began to form, the conditions became favorable for hydroxyls to bond with silicates and hydrogen radical, forming water ice. As a comet approaches the sun, these hydroxyls, water molecules and other ices volatize, creating the comet's tail.

Of course, all of the elements heavier than hydrogen and helium were "cooked" inside first and second generation stars.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
phys.org...
(Nov. 2014) MISSION TO DISCOVER HUNDREDS OF BLACK HOLES, COULD UNLOCK SECRETS OF THE UNIVERSE
"A team of Cardiff University researchers have made a breakthrough in helping scientists discover hundreds of black holes throughout the universe.

"When 2 detectors are switched on in the U.S. next year, the Cardiff team hope their research will help scientists pick up the faint ripples of black hole collisions millions of years ago, known as gravitational waves.

"Black holes cannot be seen, but scientists hope the revamped detectors - which act like giant microphones - will find remnants of black hole collisions."

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

NOT PARTICLES, BUT CHUNKS: DARK MATTER GETS STRANGER
"In a new study, researchers outlined their idea that dark matter is made of particles they called "Macros." The scientists theorized that if these particles were as dense as atomic nuclei, they could not be smaller than 0.12 pounds (55 grams). If they were, existing particle detectors would have already seen them. At the same time, Macros could not be larger than 2.2 billion trillion pounds (1 billion trillion kilograms), because then their gravitational field would be strong enough to warp starlight, a phenomenon that astronomers have not seen, either."

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: MKMoniker

Did you watch the video of the lecture? What did you think?

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I am not too sure if the whole of Physics will change but I think there may be some base dogmas that might be put into proper context . We simple minded people have given the status-quo too much credit for some of their statments that turn out to not be completely true .

Dogma is as scary as any large group of peasants with pitchforks....

NF

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: yampa

I didn't watch the video, because I have a cheapo monitor with no audio.

And I'm not a scientist, but am always interested to find scientists (especially Theoretical Physicists) who can advance the science by proving or disproving the current theories. I also like to find off-beat science sites/blogs, where people like Dr. Hamed can clarify conundrums. Like these sites:

www.centauri-dreams.org...
CENTAURI DREAMS

www.scientificexploration.org...
SOCIETY FOR SCIENTIFIC EXPLORATION

www.science-frontiers.com...
SCIENCE FRONTIERS

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join