It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if Jesus' Second Coming Doesn't Happen The Way We Plan?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

Perhaps you are unaware that Christians believe that Jesus once lived as a man (ie. existed as fact).

No, I'm aware of that. The key word there is "believe" - whether their belief is "fact" or not is immaterial to the discussion. They "believe", and that is basis enough to have a shaken "belief".

In addition to that, they believe that he will return as a supernatural deity. The OPs topic about Jesus's "second coming' is predicated on the claim of fact that Jesus once lived as a man. I addressed that claim of fact.

No, it's predicated on the belief that Jesus once lived as a man. If it were predicated on fact, there would be no question to address. You may accept it as "fact" if you like - I prefer to see it as "belief", since I was not there to see if he was walking around or not. If you do not accept it as "fact", then there is no discussion to be had in the matter, because there is no conflict.

Moreover, many (most?) Christians believe that their beliefs are indistinguishable from fact.

As do Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, Sikhs, Atheists, etc., etc.

Therefore, discussing the difference between belief and fact is entirely relevant to the thread.

How so? Discussing "belief", or, more properly, the failure of that belief to materialize, can apply to ALL beliefs. The "fact" of the matter in no way affects any of the beliefs. They are "beliefs", for that very reason.

I'm well aware that a belief once supported by testable evidence is no longer a belief. It becomes a fact. That has not happened in regard to the one-time existence of Jesus or the current existence of Jesus.

No, it has not - meaning any DENIAL is also nothing more than another "belief".

So what happens if your "belief" does not pan out as you expected it to? How would that affect your faith that Jesus DIDN'T walk the Earth?

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: nenothtu
Don't blame the messenger. God still rules the playing field of 'dogma' as everyone scurries around as (pick your belief system) IT remains the center/focus of debate (unless you blinked).

edit on 11-11-2014 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB
a reply to: Tangerine

Even saying to yourself, "Jesus won't come back like Christians think because he doesn't exist" is a _ quote _ plan.

You are very much planning something.... based on your beliefs. So the question you might be answering is, but what if he did exist after all, and does indeed come back like the Christians said?

For everyone their personal question is different, but it does not mean the question has no merit.. even for an atheist it is still a valid question.

No plan. No plan needed. I simply stated that there is zero contemporaneous documentation (ie. historical evidence) proving that Jesus ever lived. I also have no plans based on the lack of evidence regarding the existence of Frodo and Humpty Dumpty. Now if I HAD had a plan based on the belief that Jesus had lived and would return, I would make a change of plan.

You may have concocted some sort of fantasy plan that you envision for me. I can't be sure about that.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: nenothtu

originally posted by: Tangerine

So what happens if your "belief" does not pan out as you expected it to? How would that affect your faith that Jesus DIDN'T walk the Earth?

To which belief do you refer? I haven't stated any belief. I simply stated that there is no contemporaneous documentation (ie. historical evidence) proving that Jesus actually lived. No faith required.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

You've not "stated any belief".

The thread is ENTIRELY about belief.

And it seems it's still not sinking in.

Circular, repetitive arguments bore me. I'm going to take a nap now. Goodnight, Gracie.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

Jesus Christ v 2.0 is the incarnation of the Sun God Ra. He appeared by accident and is under civil protection right now in Canada by the RCMP. He was picked as an host of the divine because Him and His Father have a same like psyche.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

With regards to the Fig Tree, you might find this link very interesting, Char-Lee - just scroll down to the fourth paragraph of the Ethiopic Text. It explains the Fig Tree in detail.

wesley.nnu.edu...

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join