It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alabama Passes “No Sharia” Amendment To State Constitution

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Tenacious8

No it's not, but education is NOT a priority in much of Alabama. I've seen that for myself.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
Alabama is one of the poorest states in the Union an yet they waste time and money on things like this.

Poverty leads to poor education which leads to poor decisions in legislation resulting in uninformed decisions made by voters which leads to more poverty which leads to poor education which leads to poor decisions in legislation resulting in uninformed decisions made by voters which leads to more poverty which leads to poor education which leads to poor decisions in legislation resulting in uninformed decisions made by voters which leads to more poverty which leads to poor education which leads to poor decisions in legislation resulting in uninformed decisions made by voters which leads to more poverty which...

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

I love Alabama but my family up there will believe anything the preacher says. It truly is the Bible belt in dixieland and this law was spearheaded by some over zealous Christian wannabes.

The Bible(really, some silver tongued preacher's interpretation of it) is all the education many Alabama folks think they need and they will proudly tell you this.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
I'm confused how can foreign laws be upheld in US courts?

That's not the point. They're gotta make goldarned sure!

Now only if they can get the "crime is illegal" measure on the ballot, they'll even be more sure.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

In Texas there are actually signs along the interstates that tell you that it's the law there that you have to obey all signs on the interstate.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

In my opinion it is just plain ignorant to call an entire State ignorant.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

I suspect you are trying to say that poverty leads to poor education, which in turn leads to poor decisions in legislation that results in uninformed decisions being made by voters which leads to more poverty and that this is a vicious cycle.

I think we need a flow chart for that.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
In spite of all the negative comments here about Alabama, I think that within the next 15 years there will be more than half the states following suit. And the ones that don't will have such a high amount of their population following Sharia law they won't be able to pass it. After all, in 2000 there were around 1209 mosques in the US and in 2010 there were 2106 or as the stats say a 74% increase. Maybe Alabama got it right. You don't need to be academically intelligent to be smart. Just look at the Congress.

Dozens of states have proposed bills banning international law or Shariah in recent years, but the vast majority have failed on Election Day, and even those that succeed have been subject to intense scrutiny: Oklahoma successfully amended its constitution in 2010 to outlaw Shariah, for example, but that law was struck down by a federal court in 2013, with judges arguing that the amendment unfairly impacted Muslims. thinkprogress.org...

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Huntsville is full of government contractors from out of state. I know, I used to work there.

You shouldn't use that as a meter to judge the state.
edit on 8-11-2014 by curme because: (no reason given)

(post by LOSTinAMERICA removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Are you serious? Here, read: Link

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Did you know that in the Madison/Huntsville area of Alabama 34% of the residents hold a master's degree or PhD?

You want to know why it is like that? It's because it is home to NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center. If it wasn't like that then it would be just ignorant as the rest of the state.

Just to inform you that Alabama is not as backward as you are trying to make it out to be.
What you were spouting is a myth about the state of Alabama, one that will be shot to h--- if you'd visit for yourself.

I lived in Alabama for a couple of years and it is no myth.

I live in Alabama now, and it is a myth.

I've lived in both Huntsville/Madison area and in the Dothan area in the heart of Alabama. Don't know when you lived here, but you are wrong. Alabama is NOT the nasty stereotype you portray it to be.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
a reply to: jrod

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Tenacious8

No it's not, but education is NOT a priority in much of Alabama. I've seen that for myself.

I was involved in a Family Center in a very poor town in Alabama, the center was in an old school. We meet regularly with the all of the school staff from janitor to superintendent. We were doing everything we could to raise graduation rates and educational levels. The people in that quite poor town really strove to raise the bar in education.

We even had the local juvenile judge involved. Whenever a child got in trouble, the Judge would give the family two choices, juvenile hall (no mater how small the offense, even a school yard fight), OR the family would attend classes for 6 weeks. The parents would attend very stringent 2 hour parenting classes, while the kids went to 2 hour life skills classes that stressed the value of and education among other things. That town was working it's ___ off to make things better.

So I really, really resent your characterization of Alabama.

I don't know how many visitors to our area say with incredulity "This is Alabama? It's nothing like I thought it would be."

As for those of you who still think the law has the word Shariah in it anywhere. You are wrong.

edit on 7Sun, 09 Nov 2014 07:54:43 -0600am110911amk090 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
THE SHAREEF DONT LIKE IT!

edit on 9-11-2014 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: curme

Huntsville is full of government contractors from out of state. I know, I used to work there.

You shouldn't use that as a meter to judge the state.

That doesn't make it any less a part of the state. Many of the contractors live for years in the area, a lot retire in Alabama, making it home. Yes, that area of Alabama, and it is a part of Alabama, you can't wish that away,
is highly educated and attracts highly educated and extremely intelligent people.
These contractors live in Alabama, vote in Alabama, become legal residents of Alabama and make up the population of Alabama in every way.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   

It is done ALL the time in many states and even in the Supreme Court. It is a common occurrence in the US, much more common that one would expect, especially in the past 10-20 years.
edit on 8Sun, 09 Nov 2014 08:05:05 -0600am110911amk090 by grandmakdw because: format

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
Alabama is one of the poorest states in the Union an yet they waste time and money on things like this. Granted education in Alabama is terrible as well so I suppose politicians can get the people to forget they do nothing to improve life in one of Americas most impoverished states by telling them the evil muslims are coming so lets stop them. This is like creating a law that stops Mongolian Law to be used in Alabama. At some point the people who live in these poor southern states have got to get tired living in poverty and ignorance and do something about it.

Some of these small poor communities would continue to thrive and survive if the world or US economy were to collapse. You see many of them rely on hunting, fishing and farming as well as each other to get by day to day with only a little purchased externally to help them survive. For city dwellers the collapse would mean starvation and death. For these folks it might mean the shared TV stops getting its three channels. Their lives would continue as if nothing happened while most of us would live in fear and starve to death if Walmart shelves go empty or paychecks stop coming.

So just exactly who is backward one might ask?

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

And way to ignore the first post on it. I lived in Alabama for several years, and I saw for myself what a priority education has. Taking life courses isn't the same as an education by any means. When you have fewer than 1/3rd of 60+ people having either a diploma OR a GED, and the other 2/3rds not making it past 9th grade, how can you sit there and say, with a straight face that education matters? Their overall graduation rate has gone up, especially in the last two or three years, but the poverty graduation rate is still in the 60% area.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
You obviously don't understand why they did that. Have you seen Deerfoot Michigan? The riots, the crowds? There are savage Muslims in Europe who force police to have no go zones because it's too dangerous. They also are governed by SHARIA LAW in many of them. You want that to happen there? Didn't think so...a reply to: MrSpad

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxpower0001

On the surface, it seems to be a decent law. No foreign laws or precedence in our courts. I don't have a problem with that.

If they did it because the fear Sharia Law and Muslims.......well, they are stupid. Sharia Law is not going to be implemented and anyone who thinks the opposite is a couple fries short of a happy meal.
edit on 11/9/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join