It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the evidence for evolution?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: AvoidBadCompany
It is little wonder that scientists succumb to the temptation of dishonesty since wherever evolution is promoted people eventually conclude everything has evolved and still is: truth included! So why not help it along when necessary. Sadly science is no different to any other human activity. It is conducted by fallible, sinful human beings, whose nature and behaviour will reflect the God-denying society they live in. And never forget two things: there has been a long line of creationist quacks in science starting with people like Sir Isaac Newton and, whenever the God deniers call us quacks, remember that the wisdom of this world is foolishness in the Creator God’s sight.

Give me a break, don't preach dishonest to me, I did a whole thread on Dishonest Creationist Tactics, there are few groups as dishonest (aside from politicians) than creationist, It's all just PR and apologetics, using the fraudulent ID "science" as a cover to push a particular religious belief. Just like you... pushing your one true flavor of deity among thousands one true faiths.

Newton didn't believe in the planet Neptune, does this make him a quack? No... just ignorant. Many scientist of his day were creationists but they made names for themselves in science by following the scientific method, NOT by following some ancient tribal myths.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: AvoidBadCompany

Nobody is denying god. They are defending science from attacks made by folks that do not understand anything.

So are you going to show us precisely where the scientists are wrong and dishonest about evolution? No, of course you won't, you'll just dishonestly keep pretending there is no evidence, when evolution is as much a fact as the earth being round and revolving around the sun. Funny you choose to believe those scientific facts, and use a device created with scientific knowledge (computer) to project your opinion about how evil scientists are and how wrong science is.

Get out of the dark ages, it's 2014 and every facet of society is based on science and the knowledge gained from it. I don't understand why folks are cool with science like nuclear physics or have no problem using a fridge in their house, but when it comes to evolution they think it's all just made up on a whim like their religion. It really boils down to indoctrination. They are taught at a young impressionable age that their faith is absolute truth with no evidence at all and are expected believe and practice it throughout their life or they go to hell. They are basically emotionally and mentally damaged from it and can't get over it to this day. You have to feel bad for them, although the mentally strong will break the cycle. The rest will ramble and repeat themselves over and over again trying to sell their faith in a thread that has nothing to do with faith.

edit on 17-11-2014 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

It is little wonder that scientists succumb to the temptation of dishonesty since wherever evolution is promoted people eventually conclude everything has evolved and still is: truth included! So why not help it along when necessary. Sadly science is no different to any other human activity. It is conducted by fallible, sinful human beings, whose nature and behaviour will reflect the God-denying society they live in. And never forget two things: there has been a long line of creationist quacks in science starting with people like Sir Isaac Newton and, whenever the God deniers call us quacks, remember that the wisdom of this world is foolishness in the Creator God’s sight.

This quite possibly the most staggeringly arrogant, not to mention just plain wrong, statement I've read for quite a while. And people wonder why I'm an atheist...

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
How old is the earth?
I bet none of you can agree or prove it.
I've had fun. You guys are very entertaining

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

How old is the earth?

About 4.54 billion years. Radiometric dating is a wonderful thing. How old do you think it is?

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

How old is the earth?

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.05 billion years (4.54 × 109 years ± 1%).[1][2][3] This age is based on evidence from radiometric age dating of meteorite material and is consistent with the ages of the oldest-known terrestrial and lunar samples.en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: AvoidBadCompany

4.54 ± 0.05 billion year based on radiometric dating.

How old is the earth in your mind?

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

Also I am guessing they are "bowing out" due to lack of ability to keep up

edit on 17-11-2014 by Noinden because: (no reason given)

EDIT: I also would bet that this poster is not a regular contributor to many threads, as they appeared to debate here (this thread).
edit on 17-11-2014 by Noinden because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Well I think it comes back to that projection of faith onto science. Since they see science as a faith based mechanism, they feel that actually learning and understanding the science would be comparable to learning another religion. So they don't make the effort since they are firmly entrenched within their own religion.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

How old is the earth?

Because if somebody posted the scientific evidence you'd surely consider it, right?

I have to say, without ignorant evolution deniers my down time at work would be so much more boring, so I thank you for that. People like you keep the LOLs coming in. It's similar to reading threads on flat earth society's website.

My one question to you is, what are you going to do when Zeus judges you and finds out you have been worshiping a false god? You'd better switch to greek mythology, just in case you are wrong. If I'm wrong about Zeus, then nothing happens, but if YOU'RE wrong about Zeus, you will suffer for eternity! It has been written. Is that a risk you are willing to take?

YOUR DAY IS COMING! BE AFRAID!

edit on 18-11-2014 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barcs

How old is the earth?

Because if somebody posted the scientific evidence you'd surely consider it, right?

I have to say, without ignorant evolution deniers my down time at work would be so much more boring, so I thank you for that. People like you keep the LOLs coming in. It's similar to reading threads on flat earth society's website.

My one question to you, is what are you going to do when Zeus judges you and finds out you have been worshiping a false god? You'd better switch to greek mythology, just in case you are wrong. If I'm wrong about Zeus, then nothing happens, but if YOU'RE wrong about Zeus, you will suffer for eternity? Is that a risk you are willing to take?

YOUR DAY IS COMING! BE AFRAID!

but what if the egyptians were the ones worshipping the true gods? better not take the chance! worship EVERYONE. then when you die, you at least have one friend...whether or not its enough, only time will tell.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
but what if the egyptians were the ones worshipping the true gods? better not take the chance! worship EVERYONE. then when you die, you at least have one friend...whether or not its enough, only time will tell.

Indeed. Pascal's wager is one of the big perceived selling points for Christianity, but they are too bamboozled to even realize that the same logic applies to thousands of other gods and belief systems. To me, any religion that says, "believe or suffer forever" is instantly out of contention for being true. Any real religion would not need threats of hell and eternal suffering to gain followers, and I have trouble believing in an arrogant egotistical god that demands worship or punishes people for not believing in him when he hasn't even made himself known.

Believing something "just in case it's right", is terrible logic and if that's really how AvoidBadCompany sees it, there's no excuse why he hasn't taken on Greek mythology, Islam, or the numerous others, afterall not following them is a huge gamble is it not? Truth be told, he believes it because he was indoctrinated into it. Pascal's wager is a false dilemma that is only used to try to sucker in new believers.
edit on 18-11-2014 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Barcs

Exactly. Even if you were to look at Christianity logically (and forget the absence of evidence proving it true), it isn't even a very logical one true religion to believe in. It demands acceptance and punishes non-compliance, but at the same time isn't exposed to every corner of the world (even today). It promotes a one and done idea of human spirituality, like the 70 or so years that a human is alive is long enough to figure out where he wants to be spiritually. Also, the idea that there are winners and losers in the afterlife when according to god we are all in his image. Then on top of that it is riddled with contradictions and paradoxes that make it impossible to figure out what exactly you are and aren't supposed to do to achieve the desired spirituality.

Off the top of my head, I wouldn't even put Christianity in the top ten of religions that are likely to have any sort of truth. Buddhism on the other hand, sounds more logically sound to me (doesn't worry if you are a believer or not, many lifetimes to get it right, everyone wins, and there are more reasons as well).

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join