It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long Term Survival- How Much Ammo Is Needed?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
And if anyone is interested in cheap lightweight arrowheads only for SHTF (don`t use them normally, use broadheads)!

X-Acto Blades #23 are good :

Link

"Bird Points" Penetration Test on a Deer :

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   
thanks im just out of reno too, its an empty place lots of shrubs and desert and hills at first look the thing that still amazes me the most is the wild horses going to work in fernley. at this point in life i dont have a gun but i also dont feel like i need one just a good sharp blade and trying to gather the rest of what would be necessary out here in a SHTF situation
edit on 8-11-2014 by moren because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: moren

First, please hit the "Reply" button on the top of MY post. It makes responding to you a little easier.

Northern Nevada is heavy with game. But in a bad situation it isn't the food you have to worry about. It's people.

You might feel safe now, but there are dangerous groups already up there that don't have a problem killing and raping in bad situations.

Story time:

I was hunting just east of Pyramid lake with a friend several years ago. Being the paranoid folks we are we hid the truck in a rocky cut and camo netted the thing and went about our business. About an hour into our trip we had found our position and had made our hide. We were gonna make money that day..At least we thought. We heard a rumbling sound that kept getting closer and closer, it was the sound of cars and motorcycles approaching the area.

Turns out that spot was a neo-nazi hang out spot and we couldn't move for quite some time due to the fact that the person I was hunting with was black and I am Hispanic. These guys were armed. They had much more firepower than we did and we were not about to announce our presence.

After an hour of watching them we decided we would gather the equipment, but ditch the hide and slowly crawl for about 500 feet out of the area. Long story short we made it back to the vehicle, we were genuinely scared, and we hauled ass out of there.

Self protection in a bad situation is going to be your number one concern.

Establish security.

Establish communications.

Establish supplies.

It's good to pre plan. But the order of precedence for work to be done in a bad situation should always look like the above.
edit on pSat, 08 Nov 2014 09:15:26 -060020148America/Chicago2014-11-08T09:15:26-06:0030vx11 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Thanks for the insights. I have a 22lr semi auto rifle (22 round clips), Glock 22, Ruger lcp 380. Been trying to add to my ammo supply especially my 22lr since it seems to come and go.

COnsidering getting a rifle extension for my glock as well. This allows for more stability and ability to use expanded clip with more kick and stopping power.

I like the idea of a bow as well. If I stay put I have salt water fishing down the street so should be good with food so my ammo needs will mostly be protection. If I have to bug out have isolated area on private land with others who have scoped rifles, tree blinds, and plenty of ammo and its only an hour and half away mostly on back roads.

If time allows have a plan c in the hills of Arkansas but would need a few days to get there and my concern is ability to travel, gas, and safety while on the road.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: sirlancelot

I also have a good Gen 3 nightvision, being able to travel at night and to spot danger can be a huge bonus.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: sirlancelot

If you are next to saltwater, now, your plan C, may take substantially longer than a few days, to make Arkansas! Fuel may be difficult if not impossible to obtain. And all other forms of transportation would definitely extend your travel time. Let alone, obstacles on the most traveled roads! (think EMPs when the roads are full of escapees from large cities!)

If money is an object, I would lean towards a .357sig barrel for your G22. You can use the same .40s&w mags with the SIG ammo, and your power is upped considerably. Much cheaper than a rifle conversion...Your .380 will be next to useless in all situations other than CQC as well. So, I would focus on your long range needs, based on what you have described!

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Personally, I'd like to have about 1000 rounds for any one particular firearm as a minimum.
You also have to keep in practice you know.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Minimum of 1,000 rounds each weapon. Moreif possible.

If you have to bug out, this is where you plan on what to take, trade, and stash away.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join