It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here Is Why Vikings Are Going Straight to Hell !... If There Is One.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: nukedog

originally posted by: swanne
Didn't the Vikings have Odin, Thor, Loki, etc. as gods?

And human sacrifice

No, that's Christianity. You know, the idea that Jesus had to be killed so you could live?

edit on 7-11-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: emoti

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
So touching, this is how I see my Viking Ancestors...

Ragnar speaking to his dead daughter...

www.youtube.com...

Edit to say: "Wis my peasant hands"
edit on pm1130pmFri, 07 Nov 2014 15:44:58 -0600 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Utnapisjtim

And human sacrifice

No, that's Christianity. You know, the idea that Jesus had to be killed so you could live.

Gray is grey. Who are you trying to color?

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: nukedog

And dragons. This one, more accurately:

I find Viking mythology is much more coloured than Christianity. More gods.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

I only jumped in this thread because the op fell into the old swede then vs swede now trope by calling Vikings intolerant.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

And human sacrifice

No, that's Christianity. You know, the idea that Jesus had to be killed so you could live.

Are you saying the the crucifixion was NOT human sacrifice? Oh that's right, when you realised it was human sacrifice you were preaching, you turned him into a god? Since there is no law against sacrificing deities.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Sacrifice was a high honor, not a violent act, but giving all that one had for the benefit of the whole. Not many people now would consider giving something so precious as ones life with complete and total trust in a higher power, a higher life than the one which caused so much sadness, loss, arduous work to simply survive.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: antar

You guys watch too much TV. Human sacrifice was almost non-existent. Makes for good entertainment though. Just look at the Christians. 2000 years now, and they still call their sacrificed deity Good News. Bollocks.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

And human sacrifice

Are you saying the the crucifixion was NOT human sacrifice? Oh that's right, when you realised it was human sacrifice you were preaching, you turned him into a god? Since there is no law against sacrificing deities.

Leave off it. I'm not here to debate wether or not Catholicism is a form of cannibalism.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

You guys watch too much TV. Human sacrifice was almost non-existent. Makes for good entertainment though. Just look at the Christians. 2000 years now, and they still call their sacrificed deity Good News. Bollocks.

This is really OT but I'll have you know the writer of that show takes pains to do research. Go google it yourself. Here's a wiki excerpt

The Heimskringla tells of Swedish King Aun who sacrificed nine of his sons in an effort to prolong his life until his subjects stopped him from killing his last son Egil. According to Adam of Bremen, the Swedish kings sacrificed males every ninth year during the Yule sacrifices at the Temple at Uppsala. The Swedes had the right not only to elect kings but also to depose them, and both king Domalde and king Olof Trätälja are said to have been sacrificed after years of famine.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

No you are obviously here to slander and have my ancestors shat at and spat at. Isn't that right?

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

No you are obviously here to slander and have my ancestors shat at and spat at. Isn't that right?

They are my ancestors too. I care not how historical fact makes you feel

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Utnapisjtim

Animal sacrifice was a practice. Human was as well.

Discovery[edit]
On 6 May 1950, Viggo and Emil Højgaard from the small village of Tollund were cutting peat in the Bjældskovdal peat bog, 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) west of Silkeborg, Denmark.[3] As they worked, one of their wives, who was helping to load the peat on a carriage, noticed a corpse in the peat layer. It appeared so fresh that the workers believed they had discovered a recent murder victim. After much deliberation, the woman notified the police in Silkeborg.[2] The find was reported to the police on Tuesday 8 May 1950. They were baffled by the condition of the body and, in an attempt to identify the time of death, they brought in archaeology professor P. V. Glob.[3][5] Upon initial examination, Glob suggested that the body was over 2,000 years old and most likely the victim of a ritual sacrifice.[2][3]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

This is really OT but I'll have you know the writer of that show takes pains to do research. Go google it yourself. Here's a wiki excerpt

The Heimskringla tells of Swedish King Aun who sacrificed nine of his sons in an effort to prolong his life until his subjects stopped him from killing his last son Egil. According to Adam of Bremen, the Swedish kings sacrificed males every ninth year during the Yule sacrifices at the Temple at Uppsala. The Swedes had the right not only to elect kings but also to depose them, and both king Domalde and king Olof Trätälja are said to have been sacrificed after years of famine.

The Jola fest was a blot where we used to sacrifice a kid and drink it's blood from a skull. A goat kid, not a human "kid". Swedes are a bit thick, so this king Aun was not even by a long shot representative for vikings or Åsatru as such.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I will now take leave, you have no cause to be nasty towards me.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Hey, don't take it personal!

Word has it that my ancestors (irish) were quite weird - ever heard about Abhartach? Abhartach was a wizard-king who drank blood like Dracula.

Yet I don't slash out at every historians I see!

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Word has it that my ancestors (irish) were quite weird - ever heard about Abhartach?

Yet I don't slash out at every historians I see!

Cannibals

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: antar

I will now take leave, you have no cause to be nasty towards me.

Nasty? I'll give you nasty. I buried my best and childhood friend today. Leaving behind his children and widowed wife. So sorry if I am a bit rude, it's been a bad day. When people say my ancestors were sacrificing humans as part of their religion, well it's plain wrong, and it lights my fire. You're barking up the wrong tree. At least today.
edit on 7-11-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: ...

Why not?
edit on 7-11-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: ....

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Ah, come on. Don't pretend vikings were innocent angels.

At the end of the eighth century the first Viking raiders appeared in Irish waters. These raiders came exclusively from Norway. The first recorded raid was in 795 on Rathlin Island off the coast of Antrim where the church was burned. On the west coast the monasteries on Inismurray and Inisbofin were plundered possibly by the same raiders. The Scottish island of Iona was also attacked in the same year.

www.ncte.ie...

A second phase of raiding began in 914, with the arrival of a large fleet of Viking ships in Waterford harbour. They promptly re-captured their settlement of Vadrefjord [Waterford] from which the Irish had expelled the first Vikings half a century earlier. Reinforced by a second fleet which arrived the following year, the Vikings launched a series of offensives deep into the province of Munster, and later Leinster, where they met little Irish resistance as they pillaged both ecclesiastical and grád Fhéne (commoner) settlements. They plundered the monasteries of Cork, Lismore and Aghaboe, among others.

www.wesleyjohnston.com...

I am sorry about your friend. But going on ATS and engaging in an historical debate is no good way to grieve. Historical fact do not depend upon the tragedies which you experience.

Still, my sincere condolences.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

Really depends on your perspective. From a higher level perspective Earth and being human can be considered as being in hell and not being in a loving environment where you can feel the light all around you.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join