It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A possible alternative to antibiotics?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Greetings folks...

Well, here is some good news :

Scientists from the University of Bern In Switzerland have developed a novel substance for the treatment of severe bacterial infections without antibiotics, which would prevent the development of antibiotic resistance.

A team of international scientists has tested a novel substance, which has been developed by Eduard Babiychuk and Annette Draeger from the Institute of Anatomy, University of Bern in Switzerland. This compound constitutes a novel approach for the treatment of bacterial infections: the scientists engineered artificial nanoparticles made of lipids, "liposomes" that closely resemble the membrane of host cells. These liposomes act as decoys for bacterial toxins and so are able to sequester and neutralize them. Without toxins, the bacteria are rendered defenseless and can be eliminated by the cells of the host's own immune system. The study will be published in Nature Biotechnology Nov 2. Read more at: phys.org...

More here : phys.org...

We are so filled up and now practically immune to antibiotics that have been shoved down our throats, induced into the meat we eat, the water we drink etc etc... that it is about time that a new alternative is available to us...

More easier reader friendly information here :

Revolutionary New Antibiotic Alternative Could Save the World From Superbug 'Apocalypse'

The new drug could be used to treat MRSA infections, and the technology will be made freely available around the world for research purposes, the team behind the development said. WHO statistics show that 50,000 people in Europe and America die of multi-drug resistant bacteria each year. The drug, an endolysin called Staphefekt, has been found to kill the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus in its normal and drug resistant-forms (MRSA). It has already been used in creams to treat 10,000 people with skin conditions such as eczema and dermatitis, with a satisfaction rate of 80%. Now scientists say it can also be used in the medical world to treat a super-resistant strain of bacteria. When tested on a sample of patients in the laboratory, the drug was found to completely eradicate the bacteria from infections without leading to resistance and leaving other beneficial bacteria unaffected. “The sooner this technology becomes the new standard—especially in topical applications—the better it is,” Offerhaus told Newsweek. “This can also alleviate the resistance pressure on existing antibiotics, helping us preserve these for when we really need them. But let’s not forget that each bacterial species also requires its own targeted solution, so we should not see this as a panacea for bacterial infections.” MRSA, an acronym for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, is the most deadly strain of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, causing around 5,000 deaths in England each year. But it is just one strain in a growing pool, including resistant strains of gonorrhea, tuberculosis, E.coli and salmonella. These strains of bacteria have evolved to become completely impenetrable by modern medicine. Until now. The studies, presented Wednesday at the London conference Antibiotic Alternatives for the New Millennium, showed how the new drug killed bacteria in a completely different way from antibiotics, enabling it to bypass the problem of antibiotic-resistant strains. The drug is based on a naturally occurring enzyme produced by microorganisms in the body, known as bacteriophages, that specifically target and kill bacteria. Bacteriophages do this by cutting through the bacteria cell wall, killing it in the process. Unlike antibiotics, which reach inside the cell to work, Staphefekt targets a specific region of the cell wall that is less susceptible to mutation, significantly reducing the likelihood of resistant strains developing. Dr Bjorn Herpers, a clinical microbiologist who tested the drug at the Public Health Laboratory in Kennemerland, told Newsweek: “We have tried to induce resistance in clinical strains. What we see happening is resistance developing in the antibiotics, but not the drug.” Furthermore, because the drug targets more than one part of the bacteria cell wall, in order for resistance to occur, “there would have to be many very unlikely changes occurring at the same time,” Herpers said. When asked whether the new endolysin technology could be used to treat other super-resistant strains of bacteria, Offerhaus told Newsweek, “Absolutely. We’ve started clinical trials and will be looking to collaborate with research groups around the world to explore the additional possibilities with this new technology. In fact, as a contribution in the fight against antibiotic resistant bacteria, Micreos has decided to make Staphefekt available for free for research purposes, in a kind of 'open source' setting.” Endolysin technology is already being used to develop a potential new drug for Clostridium difficile infection, antibiotic-induced diarrhea.

Link here : www.newsweek.com...

About time that someone comes up with an alternative method compared to antibiotics no?

ooOOOOOOOOO.... I wonder how the big Pharma companies are going to deal with this one?

Shared thoughts respected members?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 7/11/14 by Rodinus because: Grammar check

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Smart, they use the same process the body use against some toxins! I don't know on how much sickness it could work, but it's really smart! Mediating of the endotoxin could also reduce inflammations. Seriously, it's not a antibiotics killer, it's a thing of its hown, because it as a completely different way of interfering with the bacteria ( you could imagine using both the save someone! )
edit on 7/11/2014 by Spationaute because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spationaute
Smart, they use the same process the body use against some toxins!

Yep... This could have been brought forward many many years ago...

Alexander Fleming had no idea about the big can of worms that he kicked over when he discovered Penicillin?

But the big Pharmaceutical companies caught on pretty quickly?

Sadly... to the cost of billions of lives throughout the world...

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 7/11/14 by Rodinus because: Grammar check

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   
There are also thing called bacteriophages, which are virus that infects the bacteria, killing it. Bacteria doesn't gain resistance to them very easily, but the downside is that the bacteriophage needs to be exactly right for that bacteria, while antibiotics can kill different ones. Also bacteriophages are more expensive and their research was halted in west after the discovery of antibiotics. The research still goes in former Soviet countries, but its minimal.

They are naturally found from animals, rivers and seas, first discovered from River Ganges when it was noticed something in the water cured cholera. It was so tiny particle that it went through very fine porcelain filter. This is why some rivers have "healing powers", the most famous being Ganges.

So, while antibiotics attack even the useful bacteria, specific bacteriophage doesn't, it only attacks the right one, infecting it. They are not harmful for humans as we get tiny amounts of them all the time naturally. Bacteriophages die after they have killed the bacteria. Bacteriophages can be modified to get rid of its natural disadvantages. Also, the human immune system attacks some of the phages in bloodstream, but not all. Also, storing them is difficult as their shelf life varies greatly.

The downside is that most of bacteria have sophisticated immune systems, which are hard to penetrate, but because bacteriophages can be modified, with little study it becomes possible to infect them.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Thebel

Are bacteriophages effective against L-form bacteria that lack a cell wall like mycoplasma?

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Nice to know they are out there working on this problem of resistance. Also nice they will release it free to all the world. Thanks for the heads up OP

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

Ah! Everything that is great about humans and their ingenuity and generosity - technology made free around the world'.

I do hope that we are having a 'Pharma Spring" with this new attitude of not just for profit and the shareholders and big salaries for the top table.

What a wonderful thing to at last give people hope against these bacterial infections. Great thread - great news.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I would expect Big Pharma to find a way to get their hands on this and patent it. They're pretty sneaky, and the smell of money is overwhelming!

How many times I've read about new, cheap effective cancer cures- only to have Big Pharm step in, declare the study bogus, shut down all further research or take it over with patents that can be tabled.

I don't think anything free, cheap or easy will ever become available to the general population. Alterna5tive medicine has a pretty bad rap, but if you look at modern healthcare, I think they would compare statistically.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Let's see, caffeic acid can neutralize the toxins of some bacteria. It is found in root veggies and coffee. Then you have clays that can kill bacteria. Milk also neutralizes some toxic chemicals that microbes excrete. Molybdenum containing foods boost our ability to process some of their toxins too, so eat more of those. Honey is a natural sulfonamide. so is garlic. Onion detoxes some cyanide compounds. Too much of any one of these natural things is no good though.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Let's see, caffeic acid can neutralize the toxins of some bacteria. It is found in root veggies and coffee. Then you have clays that can kill bacteria. Milk also neutralizes some toxic chemicals that microbes excrete. Molybdenum containing foods boost our ability to process some of their toxins too, so eat more of those. Honey is a natural sulfonamide. so is garlic. Onion detoxes some cyanide compounds. Too much of any one of these natural things is no good though.

I was wondering about honey. Several years ago I had the flu, followed by being hospitalized for pneumonia caught on an airplane from a sick kid, and then the flu again, despite having a flu shot. All in a three month period. I read about using raw local honey. I thought, can't hurt. So since then I have had about a tsp of honey in my coffee every morning.

I have not had any illness that lasted more than 24 hours since I started the honey. And I love on my 2 little germ factory grandchidren regularly.

I won't say it is a cureall, but I can say, it appears that honey has kept me fairly healthy as far as bacteria and virus' are concerned. Like I said, it can't hurt and if it is not the honey then my morning coffee is sweeter.

About the new drug, I don't think big Pharma will not use it, they can still patent formulas for cremes, pills etc that contain the drug. If it is shown useful they'll find a way to patent it somehow. I don't think big Pharma is as evil as many of you do. Because I had an office in the Chemistry department once (weird place for a prof of social sciences). They spend a lot of time and a lot of money researching drugs and tons of time and money in testing (really the FDA is the one that causes meds to be so expensive due to all the over the top research and testing they require, much, much, crazy much more than in the EU). This research and development has to be paid for by wrapping the cost into the drug when it is sold. If an independent researcher in a University wants to give away their R&D that is fantastic, but right now in the US about the only way to get $ for R&D is to go to big Pharma, who are for profit companies who need to recoup their investment. It is the government that is actually causing drugs in the US to be so expensive through massive over regulation. How about we give money to a scientist to work on life saving drugs instead of money to research why fat women don't get dates etc.? (a real government funded research project).
edit on 7Fri, 07 Nov 2014 07:43:55 -0600am110711amk075 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Interesting that it's a liposomal drug - is this why liposomal Vitamin C works, or works better?

Great find, Rodinus, thank you

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: signalfire
Interesting that it's a liposomal drug - is this why liposomal Vitamin C works, or works better?

Great find, Rodinus, thank you

My pleasure mi-dear... It could just be that... am learning about this new alternative at the moment so not that much of an expert at all.

I knew that this one would tickle your fancy...

Have a great afternoon, my evening is starting.

Warmest respects

Rod

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

And of course silver.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

Silver is all right if your body can detox and excrete it. There are genes that cause a lessening of this action. If the enzyme is cut in half, half the amount of silver is needed to do the same job. If the constituents of the enzyme are lacking then the enzyme cannot form properly either. If you possess this gene that restricts the detox of silver, it also restricts the detox of other metals. But to the bright side, if you do not detox it your levels can remain higher and what is in food remains in the body. As long as you stay away from foods containing aluminum and high amounts of mercury or lead, there shouldn't be a problem. Eating foods containing alum is not a good idea in this case. Some processed cheeses have quite a bit of this, used as a fungicide, as well as many pickles. It is scattered all over the place in certain foods.

Now I have the gene that reduces the detox rate and have been testing this on myself. I think alum, an adjuvant in medicines, can actually be a medicine for us as it triggers immune system response by a really weird situation. But it can start a cykotine storm if overconsumed, and that does not take much. It probably does not have any bad effects with people with a normal immune system, but with hyper immune system it can cause autoimmune symptoms to occur and create inflammation because it stimmulates the creation of more macrophages by allowing improperly digested proteins to enter the body through a strange system in the intestines. There are about four different foods that also do this pretty much. Now, these foods can cause histamines to be created so they can give a person energy by this action. I had a link to this on my last computer but the harddrive failed. The source was a very reliable source too.

There are many gene variances and also corrections in genes that got us here. I am seeing these corrections and figuring out why they are there when studying my dna analysis. It is actually pretty awsome that these corrections occurred, many of them protected our ancestors from the environmental factors present during their lifetime. Now, they aren't a disease like they say they are, they are just an inconvenience which means I can't eat some of the things others eat and I need to eat some things others cannot eat. I am just one person, there are millions like me with different variations that need to eat a certain way. One size does not fit all, we need to understand that. I can get by with a little silver from the real plated silverware we use everyday, it interacts with food when you use it to stir something. If I took silver supplements I would probably get sick. So would a lot of other people.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
eat fruits, vegetables. done lol

top topics

join