It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake site just for certain parts of the world?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I'm not really that familiar with all the quake sites. Someone once said that "if a quake occurs where no-one lives, then it didn't happen". I can see the logic of that statement.

o Friday November 7 2014, 03:33:58 UTC 107 minutes ago New Britain Region, PNG. 6.6 69.0 GeoScience Australia
o Friday November 7 2014, 03:33:57 UTC 107 minutes ago New Britain region, Papua New Guinea 6.9 65.1 USGS Feed
o Friday November 7 2014, 03:33:56 UTC 107 minutes ago New Britain Region, P.n.g. 6.9 60.0 CSEM-EMSC Feed

Do I really care if Papua New Guinea had 6.6 or 6.9 earthquakes? A lot of people would likely disagree with this, and at first blush it may even sound cold... but probably not. No time. No energy to expend concern for such a remote, far away place. Got to focus these days on what's important, and what pertains more to the part of the world that I am in.

Is there a site that allows EQ reports to be filtered to only different parts of the earth?
edit on 7/11/2014 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: MarkJS

Well that would have been more useful a few years back. Today, I really would be concerned about the international EQ's, for your own sake. There's a reason for the crazy volcanicity and seismicity recently and it will end up affecting us all.

Surely, if you have an EQ where you live, you'll feel it anyway before you have time to check the interwebz?

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: MarkJS
Ever heard about something called a tsunami? They are sometimes generated by earthquakes which occur in places where no one really cares. They sometimes are a cause of great concern for a lot of people.

But not you, I guess. BTW, you have a filter. It's called a "brain."

edit on 11/7/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Thank you for your response. You have a point about remote areas generating tsunamis....

But I would like to focus on possibly just the half of the world that I live on. Papua New Guinea and areas in that region, while very vital and I'm sure that it beats within many hearts, is rather too far away from me to worry about creating any havoc on this side of the world. For example in my OP that showed a 6.0 and a 6.9. I feel for them. On the same token there hasn't been not much rippling over to where I live from these eqs.

On the slight chance, the one out of 100 big earthquake that may somehow impact the Western hemisphere... then I'll check it out and pursue due diligence in a viable follow up. Like I said... historically it's a one out of 100 eq that may be this huge.

Still looking for some kind of filtering system... That would be cool.
edit on 7/11/2014 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   
If anybody is interested.... check out:

the IRIS site: Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology - sponsored by the National Science Foundation

To focus on just certain areas, in the interactive map, click on 'draw selection box'. Once you drag out the selection box to focus on a specific area, the latitude and longitude coordinates are filled out per the box you specified. And (only) the specific eq data for that area is listed below. The slides in the graph will also narrow down the eqs per date and magnitude.

What a great site. Thank You Muzzy for listing this in your post.

new topics

top topics

join