It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's SAD season. How are you coping?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
It's that time again when I'm knee deep in SAD.

Seasonal Affective Disorder.

The lack of sunlight really sends me into hibernation mode.
Dark, and gloomy days means I'm fighting with all my might
to stay awake through out the day.
Some people experience milder symptoms, but for some
it can be debilitating.

I've got three 10,000 lux SAD light boxes in one 20x20 room
that I leave on all day and that's in addition to 3 regular
lamps.

Most people who have SAD are deficient in Vit D, so I take that
along with magnesium.

I don't take antidepression meds for SAD. I've tried them before
and they don't work for me.

So far, this year, I'm not having much success with the light boxes and/or
Vit D/magnesium.
For people like me, it's a long way until spring gets here.

How are you coping with your SAD?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: virraszto

Hi virraszto: I don't know that I have SAD, but I do know this is a medical issues thread, and as such, I am not coping well at all…..

I wish both of us were better….and here is to hoping we both will be soon, as I know I can't take any more of this…..
regards to you,
tetra50

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

I'd tell you but it's against T&Cs...

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Try to keep busy. An alternative to chemical help if possible for some: Take up a new hobby or reignite an old one in between other activities in life such as work, to keep from dwelling on being cold and dreary. Being not a huge fan of the cold, or winter as a whole though must say the seasons can be fun, not growing up in(can more than most understand the sunlight issue). And of course, nor the hire bills when applicable(less firewood etc), figure to try things to do with winter that make it less annoying.

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat

I'd tell you but it's against T&Cs...

Not necessarily saying the same here but

edit on 6-11-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Where are you located on the globe ? The Days have just really been getting shorter... ?

If you are sad now... Winter has yet to come.

My advice is to go south. Send me a chat, if it clicks come crash down here for a while. Netherlands..
We could do all sort of things against T&C if you like, and walk outside in the Sun from 7 to 5.

I know... But being sad really sucks. I know.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Just eat some potatoes for your carbs. They contain a chemical that is a refined form of the hormone that vitamin D metabolizes to. You will need butter on it to supply the K2 vitamin. Frying them sliced thin in bacon grease works too, bacon grease contains K2 also. Now the hormone is very strong, you don't really need that much and it does work with less sun. Too much of this hormone and you will start calcifying soft tissue in the body. Moderation needs to be observed. I keep saying that as I eat a whole pan of thinly sliced potatoes. Now the skin contains more solanine and scolopamine which have properties also. The latter can moderately treat epilepsy and anxiety issues and can also help with motion sickness. Again, too much is not good...try not to eat too much green or damaged potatoes as these two chemicals are higher in those. New potatoes don't have nearly as much of these last two chemicals either. Potatoes also contain nitrogen compounds and are fairly neutral on blood pressure compared to bread which is grown with yeast and contains more tyramines which raises BP for a while.

We don't have to be SAD that winter is coming.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Research 5-HTP and give it a try; it's a tryptophan precursor and tryptophan turns into serotonin in the brain; it works like an anti-depressant without the chemical anti-depressant's side effects.

One caveat - your small intestine has serotonin receptors right where the stomach dumps out; some people are sensitive to the 5-HTP and will become nauseous from it; this is temporary but very unpleasant and can be used as an excuse to stop it; don't, just keep taking it, 25 to 50 mg a day preferably at night. It will kick in and raise your serotonin levels in about three to five days and the nausea problem will never bother you again - the receptors either get used to it or burn out.

It was literally a lifesaver for me when I found this years ago; the difference is night and day.

Long term, look into moving somewhere where it's sunny year round or becoming a snowbird, winters in the south. Life's too short to feel like a bear in a cave half the year.

Firelight and candlelight can help where the high intensity lamps don't. Our brains are sensitive to the frequencies of firelight and have a very long history with it.

Other helpful hints are supplementation with pregnenolone, a neurosteroid that reduces in supply as we age, and take lecithin supplements - the combination is wonderful for all sorts of slowly progressing aging issues; word-finding ability, vague brain fog problems, color vision. Look into DHEA also but that's more controversial and may aggravate hormone-sensitive pre-existing cancers.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Great Thread....

I take no meds mostly due to my job.. Also the less legal alternatives are depressants for those that may be suggesting them so that is just stupid..

GO OUTSIDE!!!!

Even sunlight filtered through clouds will elevate your mood...

I have pretty severe PTSD due to some Marine Corps stuff and other activities I engaged in during my earlier years on this planet and SAD is very common place for me..

Again...

GO OUTDOORS
Work Out
(I also visit a tanning booth occasionally when it gets bad)
Eat well
TALK IT OUT with someone who understands

All of these things help more than you know...

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Mine is just beginning to set in. No meds,no light therapy ( although I'm bordering on trying it). Funny I never knew potatoes would help,but that explains why I crave them. I usually fair well till after the holidays,then I get it full blown till April. I try to focus on plans for spring,and new hobbies to get me through the winter. I used to beat myself up over the days I needed to just stay in bed,but I find now that as long as I can take that time,I can balance it out with more high productive days. It's just something I need to keep my balance. I wish I were more into going outside,but poor circulation in my hands and feet keeps me inside on the coldest days,which usually in winter,are also the sunniest. I too,suffer from PTSD,and anxiety,so winters are rough. Literally,my personality changes,and I don't even feel like myself.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Hmm funny you should post this article, it seems it is worse this year.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
mine is getting going too...
i hate it..its not even hardcore winter yet but its cold out and it is dark at 5...
all i want to do is lay around....my motivation to do anything is just gone....
im tired all the time..

every day i have been trying to get out a bit to walk around just to get the blood flowing. once the snow starts flying and the temps are in the 30's though, i only go out when i have to and i hate even doing that

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Excellent advice from Semper! Spend time outside and be sure to work out daily! A hard workout is better. Lift weights.

I don't have SAD, but my husband does. We moved from Oregon to New Mexico and it helps a LOT! Even if it's cold, we can get outside and get good, bright sun every day.

I still don't like the dark evenings. I'm ready to go to bed at 7:30! LOL

Good luck to you!

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
As long as it's not October I'm gravy. October has been my most messed up month for years. I just have to get through the holidays now. Usually about two weeks from Xmas I start going a little bit bat crap crazy from all the Xmas adds but once that's over the rest of the year is smooth sailing.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I suffer from depression that is often worse in the winter, although I don't think it is as severe as SAD. I recently bought a halogen heater for my kitchen and within two hours of turning it on, I googled to see if it emits the same spectrum of light as the sun does, due it my mood lifting within 20 minutes of turning it on.

May be worth trying for those who don't want to spend money on a light box until they know it will help.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Interestingly enough, I do rather well during the winter months. I suffer from SAD, but it begins to show up in the spring and peaks around summer time. Too much sunlight seriously wrecks my mood. I don't understand the reason why, I've always been this way.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: signalfire

I have seen mention of 5-HTP recently and I'm going to get some and give it a try.
I've read of where others have had success with it. I'm for trying anything that might
help. Thanks for the info. and I'm glad you've got your SAD under control

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: tetra50

Are you having trouble with depression? Do you think it might be SAD? If
you need to talk to someone, please msg me.

I hope things get better for you very soon too.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Going with the FloW here. Sometimes it's great and sometimes definitely not great. Possibly try to research foods that have the chemicals you need. Tryptophan foods: nutritiondata.self.com...
These might help. NOTE - there are 5 pages.

PeaceToAll,
Opportunity
edit on 7-11-2014 by Opportunity because: extra info added

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

I agree that getting outside can help...and I steal every bit of sunshine that I can
every single day. I'm totally fine on those days when the sun is out, even a little.
It's those days that are almost as dark as night, so gloomy, yucky. Once morning
comes and it's a dark dreary day, that sets my day. I could and have walked 3 or more
miles outside and came right home to overwhelming sleepiness and go right to sleep.

I don't feel sadness or unhappiness and I am not tearful, I just feel like my whole
body and brain are heavily sedated.
edit on 7-11-2014 by virraszto because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

I think Feb. is my worst month. It creeps in around Sept. and peaks around Feb. and by the time April
gets here, I know I'm close to the finish line and I start looking forward to living again. My personality
totally changes too. I feel like I'm two different people... Summer me and Winter me.

You should try a light box. I'm also looking into getting a dawn simulator and going to try some things
suggested on this thread.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join