It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pieces Of *THE* Trojan Horse Found?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Well this may just be the most exciting archaeological find of the century (so far) if it's true! The Trojan Horse is among the most famous items from antiquity. Even more than Troy itself was long thought by many to be nothing more than a legend, the story of the Trojan Horse is still been regarded as myth. Nonetheless, one of the more reliable sources I regularly pull from is reporting on it.

From The Archaeology News Network:

According to a report by newsit.gr, Turkish archaeologists excavating on the site of the historical city of Troy on the hills of Hisarlik, have unearthed a large wooden structure. Historians and archaeologists presume that the pieces are remains of the legendary Trojan Horse. Excavations brought to light dozens of fir planks and beams up to 15 meters long, assembled in a strange form. The wooden assembly was inside the walls of the ancient city of Troy. Fir planks were used for building seafaring ships, archaeologists say.

The structure found fits the description by Homer, Virgil, Augustus and Quintus Smyrnaeus. So, archaeologists tend to believe that the finding is indeed the remains of the subterfuge Greeks used to conquer ancient Troy. Another discovery that supports the archaeologists’ claims is a damaged bronze plate with the inscription “For their return home, the Greeks dedicate this offering to Athena.” Quintus Smyrnaeus refers to the particular plate in his epic poem “Posthomerica” and the plate was also found on the site. The two archaeologists leading the excavation, Boston University professors Christine Morris and Chris Wilson, say that they have a “high level of confidence” that the structure is indeed linked to the legendary horse. They say that all the tests performed up to now have only confirmed their theory.

The archaeologists leading the excavation are identified as two Boston University professors, Christine Morris and Chris Wilson. The story goes on to say that carbon dating of the wood and other objects put it in the 11th or 12th century BC which matches with many accounts of when the Trojan War is said to have taken place. The original source is The Greek Reporter but if this pans out, expect there to be a LOT more coverage.

Frankly, I'm all but speechless. I'll hunt for some additional sources and update with what I find. For the moment, I'll leave you with a quote from the Greek Reporter article:

“This matches the dates cited for the Trojan War, by many ancient historians like Eratosthenes or Proclus. The assembly of the work also matches the description made by many sources. I don’t want to sound overconfident, but I’m pretty certain that we found the real thing!”

and the editor's note from TANN:

Editor's Note: This story is totally unconfirmed!

edit on 2014-11-6 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
While I would absolutely love this to be pieces of the Trojan Horse, I highly doubt it.

This could be anything - and as the article says it is only "assumed" this is pieces of the fabled horse.

I believe the story is based on reality, but perhaps these people want it to be the horse so bad they assume in error.

Regardless - I'll keep my mind open, and very cool.
edit on 6-11-2014 by MentorsRiddle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Wait, so stories from a book can actually be true? Who'da thunk????

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

Wait, so stories from a book can actually be true? Who'da thunk????

I think that so many people today are blinded by their arrogance - they think all of these stories are just fables and fiction. But I believe that many of these great stories are based upon reality. While some of the stories have been tweaked to add to their appeal, the main premise and major events are probably grounded.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
If this came from the actual Trojan war level there may be some truth to it. It would need to be clearly demonstrated that these boards came from sea going vessels that were found in the wrong place inside the walls after having been deconstructed and reassembled. It looks like they are saying a lot of that. I doubt they would announce a claim like that off handed because this site has been a huge issue of contention for turkey for 150 years.

That being said, I'm stunned that the Trojans actually fell for this

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: nukedog
If this came from the actual Trojan war level there may be some truth to it. It would need to be clearly demonstrated that these boards came from sea going vessels that were found in the wrong place inside the walls after having been deconstructed and reassembled. It looks like they are saying a lot of that. I doubt they would announce a claim like that off handed because this site has been a huge issue of contention for turkey for 150 years.

That being said, I'm stunned that the Trojans actually fell for this

Why are you stunned? Didn't you know - the gods were on their side!

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: MentorsRiddle

Not all the gods were on the same side mind you

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
This put a big smile on my face. Thanks!

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Nice,
If it turns out to be true, then it is one of the most important finds in bronze age archeology.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
So far the pieces of wood look like pieces of wood. Could have been a table, a chair, a bookcase (schrollcase?). But the romance level of such a find is high, so this will pick up lots of attention. Dibs on the wheels.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Scroll case. Maybe a tablet cupboard along side lol. The choice of wood could be odd. If there was a way to link this wood as coming from off shore a way that could be something. But then again Troy was smack dab in the middle of early Bronze Age trade routes.

Deja vu again. I could have swore I posted something similar a month ago

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I sent out some emails looking for confirmation. We'll see what comes of it! From what I can tell, the only excavations of the site in 2014 were being carried out by a Turkish team led by Professor Rüstem Aslan. I didn't find either of the quoted archaeologists in the Boston University faculty directory but there is a Dr. Christine Morris at Trinity College Dublin who is listed as a Senior Lecturer on Greek Archaeology and History.

At this point I remain dubious but how awesome if it turns out to be true.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Unfortunately folks. This is a hoax.

I've found the original (original original) story on satire site, World News Daily Report. Published end of September. Interestingly, the two archaeologists in the story are based on two real BU archaeologists traveling around Turkey and blogging about it.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
If these were scraps of wood in a functioning city, they would have been used for firewood or other uses. But if the city had been abandoned, everything would have been left behind.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

I smell horse # even if it is hundreds of years old.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
Unfortunately folks. This is a hoax.

I've found the original (original original) story on satire site, World News Daily Report. Published end of September. Interestingly, the two archaeologists in the story are based on two real BU archaeologists traveling around Turkey and blogging about it.

Ughh... I wasn't ready to accept it wholesale and it never would be but how cool would it be?

Also what gives with these, "satire" news sights? There isn't much satirical in their nature. Just being trolls.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
If these were scraps of wood in a functioning city, they would have been used for firewood or other uses. But if the city had been abandoned, everything would have been left behind.

The thing about Troy is it got sacked. There were further levels of occupation but they came later. It would have been equivalent to people walking onto an abandoned city and rebuilding it from more or less scratch.

Almost immediately after Troy was sacked, darkness buried the Bronze Age. There was a huge catastrophe that affected the whole Mediterranean that scholars are still trying to puzzle out.

So, there would be a chance it got used as scrap wood or fuel but more likely it was already so far gone that what was left was bulldozed over to make way for new buildings. If it survived at all that is.
edit on 6-11-2014 by nukedog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: nukedog

There's absolutely none of the characteristics of satire in the World News Daily Report article. I could understand if it had been something like an April Fool's prank for history buffs, but as it is, this just seems to be really unfunny trolling.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
The ancient Greeks seemed to have had a dark sense of humour so I think the horse may have been a leg-pulling excercise or subterfuge. Why would they give away their methods and secrets of siege attack? I believe that the "horse" was a type of battering ram with 4 legs and a heavy log suspended on chains underneath. This was swung backwards and forwards against the city gates until they gave way. The ram would have been a giant "carpenters horse" with 4 legs on wheels. This type of ram was used extensively in the middle ages to attack castles. This is my theory anyway.

top topics

join