It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least now The GOP has no excuse to not pass and send legislation to the President

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock
a reply to: Xeven

Yea right. Like POTUS isnt sharpening his veto pens as we speak.

I wonder if president Obama realizes the true meaning of lame, in lame duck.

Oh well, there is always golf, eh?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
I am sorry... it was Harry Reid in the Senate that refused to let even a debate occur for some 300+ bills passed in the house...

the blame for all the gridlock the last 6 years lays firmly on both parties..

What? Didnt the dems control everything for 4 of those years?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

Reid blocked anything and everything the republicans liked that got passed in the house, to this day I am not sure why... but anyone that says democrats are blameless for the gridlock has some partisan issues. (and yes Republicans played their part as well)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: ketsuko
The Dems can always filibuster if they're serious.

They've certainly had lessons in that process.

They have, and if they are doing the job they were elected to do (i.e. represent their constituents), then I expect them to do a certain amount of blocking.

What? You were expecting me to say something different? Like, "Republicans won."

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

The Dems can always filibuster if they're serious.

They've certainly had lessons in that process.

They have, and if they are doing the job they were elected to do (i.e. represent their constituents), then I expect them to do a certain amount of blocking.

What? You were expecting me to say something different? Like, "Republicans won."

No, I respect you more than that.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Yo?

The 'evil' GOP had been passing legislaton.

Only to get killed on Reids desk.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
At least now The GOP has no excuse to not pass and send legislation to the President. Just think Obama can really drive people like Ted Cruise crazy now by signing stuff they send up. Now all the GOP will have to admit they voted for stuff Obama signed. LOL. They have no excuses now why they cannot pass legislation.

So what excuse did the Dems have for not passing bills in the upper house?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

with control of the senate they now can override his vetos, also he can't do squat without any money.
and they can defund anything that he enacts through EO's.

This is not true. It takes 2/3 majority to override a veto. They don't have 2/3 majority.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
I am sorry... it was Harry Reid in the Senate that refused to let even a debate occur for some 300+ bills passed in the house...

the blame for all the gridlock the last 6 years lays firmly on both parties..

I agree. I do not think the founding fathers thought the Speaker and Senate Majority leader should have the power to prevent votes on legislation. In fact its probably not even constitutional but both parties tolerate it.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I think America is at it's best when the two parties work together and compromise on the best of evils. We fail when we are so partisan in our politics that we cannot work together and do anything. Ted Cruise, Harry Reid and their Ilk are fail for our country. There are some out there though that are willing to work together when not being pressured. When need to find a way to free our politicians to work together.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
People act like this is a football game with the Dems and GOP each taking turns having possession of the ball, when in fact it is more like a Monopoly game where the Dems and GOP keep skipping everyone else's turn.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

you saw how many ran from him during this election, what do you think gonna happen during his lame duck years. every democrat on the hill is going to put distance between him and them. Senate already 51 Republicans, not hard to imagine 15 democratic senators moving over.

the house has 234 Republicans, not hard to see 56 dems move to the other side, away from a lame duck.
now granted that's in a perfect world. many are gonna go back and forth. many will look around to see which way the wind blows.

reagan had 9 of his overridden, would not surprise me to see obama have some overridden now.

edit on 6-11-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

As far as the ACA all the republicans need to do is write a better bill to replace it with but I am sure that subject will never come up. It is quite simple they were going on forever with the motto "repeal and replace" well if they can show they have something to actually replace it with then it can be done. IMO what they actually meant by repeal and replace was "repent and let the issue die".

As to the pipeline I disagree with you based on the actual reports saying if they get a direct pipeline to the coast that fuel will be heading overseas and our gas prices will actually increase.

If the Chinese oil owned company in Canada wants their pipeline let them pay for it but thats not what politicians are selling us. The pipeline would be paid for with US tax dollars. You want to lower energy cost then take those tax dollars and invest them into Geothermal power plants once up and running the cost for electric is less than coal. BTW the money they want to build that pipeline could build dozens of Geo power plants.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join