It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

18-Year-Old Saira Blair Is America's Youngest Lawmaker

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Wow ---

18 years old.....gotta give her credit for trying regardless of her party affiliation, not to mention her winning

Pretty damn awesome in my book

18-year-old Saira Blair, a Republican from West Virginia, just became the youngest elected lawmaker in the country after trouncing her 44-year-old Democratic opponent 63 percent to 30 percent to earn a seat in West Virginia’s House of Delegates.

Blair – who beat a two-term incumbent in the primary when she was just 17, too young to even vote for herself – said in an interview on “Fox and Friends” in May that she wants to borrow ideas from Texas to bring more jobs to West Virginia.

See video here

You go girl!!

What an inspiration for the young adults

I remember seeing her earlier today and her talking about the young people moving out of state due to no jobs

And like a good politician, she thanked all her supporters as well as her family:

In a statement, Ms. Blair thanked her supporters and family, as well as her opponents for running a positive campaign.

“History has been made tonight in West Virginia, and while I am proud of all that we have accomplished together, it is the future of this state that is now my singular focus,” she said.

Ms. Blair campaigned on a pledge to work to reduce certain taxes on businesses, and she also holds antiabortion and pro-gun positions. She defeated Democrat Layne Diehl, a 44-year-old Martinsburg attorney, whose top priorities included improving secondary education and solving the state’s drug epidemic.

blogs.wsj.com...

edit on 6-11-2014 by snarky412 because: add link

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   
not sure how i feel about it, i mean i am all for bringing young people into politics, or government or whatever, one of the reasons everything is so stagnant is that we have dinosaurs trying to guide us into the future...but an 18 year old? making laws?
who knows, maybe she is responsible enough to handle it, so fingers crossed!

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

I wouldn't fret she will likely be sitting right at the bank and will probably be ignore for the next few years of her political career, at least until they figure out if she takes bribes or not

Anyway her daddy is already a senator so we may be looking at the start of a new family dynasty

edit on 6-11-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

I wouldn't fret she will likely be sitting right at the bank and will probably be ignore for the next few years of her political career, at least until they figure out if she takes bribes or not

Anyway her daddy is already a senator so we may be looking at the start of a new family dynasty

"her daddy is already a senator "
ahhh ok i was worried something was changing, then this story is just business as usual!

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I am happy a teenager made a start in Washington DC. We need a lot more young people in Congress and Senate. Those career politicians are THE BIGGEST PROBLEM in DC. We need term limits. However, if her Dad is already there I see a new career politician in the making. Then I feel sorry for he. She will end up as all the other career politicians.

If all a teenager whats to be is a politician, then they set the bar low for themselves. She could have found a better choice than to be a politicians for a career.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Ahhh, I see

Although her dad – U.S. Senator Craig Blair – likely gave his daughter some pointers in the race, the teen reportedly contributed $4,000 of her own money into her campaign because she said, "I wanted voters to know I was serious."

www.people.com...

She claims she ran her campaign from her dorm room. LOL

Guess her constituents will have to wait and see if she will make any positive changes for them
Only time will tell....

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 04:59 AM
link   
she is a state senator, not a federal senator. She is right though, basically young people in wv graduate, they then take a minimum wage job, got to college at wv or marshal, orone of the plethora of other colleges, or take a job in the mines. the mines are drying up, so that leaves minimum wage or college. once they graduate, the top 10% get a decent job, the other 90% either take a minimum wage job, or move. I was born and raised in WV, Love the state, but I had to move 15 years ago to get a decent job (10.53) at the time after I graduated college. I would LOVE to go back to wv. that said though, WV doesn't need more minimum wage jobs. the need some more middle of the road ones. theres the High tech area along I 79 from Morgantown to Clarksburg that Senator Byrd's pork barreling gave us. those are the cream of the jobs. after that though there really isn't much else between 17k a year, and 40k a year. That's the divide of jobs that needs to come into the state. Stuff for college graduates to get that will pay there tuition, that will give them experience.

cheers,

Camain

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I think this says a lot about what it takes to be a politician... not much... which is actually quite frightening.

There's a reason you don't get 17 year old doctors, architects or engineers... because it takes 5-10 years of dedicated adult learning to gain the knowlege to do a trusted job. I guess we don't care for politics being a trusted profession.

Its sad that politics doesn't have similar education or experience requirements as other professions.

She's parroting standard empty policies and speaking pre-written speeches and quotes.

I'm all for an inclusive goverment that takes into account all opinions... old and young... but this is not that. She is but a propoganda tool being used by the existing "political entertainment" system to support a broken political model.

How sad...

edit on 6-11-2014 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)

join