It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To the ufo "true believers": Why is your bar set so low?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Simple question to the people that frequent the UFO forum. More specifically, to the people that star and flag EVERY SINGLE VIDEO and don't ask critical questions about the material. Or the people that accuse those of us with slightly more skeptical minds of being "paid shills".

The Question is this: Why is your bar set so low? I've seen you guys star and flag easily explainable videos like they were high definition video of flying saucers landing on the white house lawn and meeting with the President. Why is it that almost anything you see that tickles your preconceived notions is automatically a UFO, and you very rarely try to find more logical explanations for what you THINK you are seeing?

Let me add that I believe it's very possible (even probable) that there is alien life in our universe, and even in our own Galaxy. But I require more proof of it coming here, than grainy sunspots, or easily explainable nasa footage. I have yet to see smoking gun evidence. Naturally, I will seek out logical answers before I jump to the conclusion that something is a UFO.

I will also add that I believe people are seeing SOMETHING, and there ARE genuine UFO reports that aren't easily explainable. However, I require 100% convincing evidence before I am willing to declare any old piece of footage a UFO. It seems like many here are simply willing to believe that anything and everything can be used as proof of alien contact.

So why are you so easily convinced? Do you honestly believe there is a cover up to such an extent that even armchair skeptics are working for the government? Because I could sure use the money.
edit on 5-11-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
The real question here is, why are you setting the bar so high for ufo nuts. :^)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I've been abducted by aliens thats why.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Bandersn4tch

I typed out a very lengthy and detailed response to you, but the site crashed on my end. MUST BE A CONSPIRACY!

To sum it up:

I believe in some fringe theories (like the paranormal for instance, having personally experienced poltergeist activity). But I don't think every single ghost video on youtube is authentic.

I look for mundane explanations, or try to identify if it's a hoax. I try to think critically and not let confirmation bias get the best of me everytime someone posts a video or a picture of something that is supposedly fantastic.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
It may not be the same people that star and flag every post.

Speaking for myself, that has witnessed a very strange, and very real UFO, I am open to the possibility that others have also seen something, although I do ignore the obvious fakes.

So I know that some of these posts are real, because mine was, on the other hand, you "know" these posts are fake because you have not seen anything personally.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
ufology has basically become a religion, people WANT to believe no matter what.
It's like those people that scream "miracle" whenever jesus appears on a slice of toast.
Ufology is fascinating in the same way greek mythology is: none of it is true, but the stories can be exciting sometimes, if well told.
So people get excited every time a new "chapter"is added to the book

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
The more you disbelieve in nonhuman intelligence, the more of a shock it is going to be when and if you do see it.
How much time do you spend watching the night sky in secluded areas?
There is something there.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

The problem is that I never said I don't believe in non-human intelligences.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph
Fair enough. Spend some time watching the sky at night. I suspect you will eventually see something odd.
I'm not sure if location matters. If it does, the Texas hill country is a good place to start.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   

he got you there OP.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Neil Armstrong was the first person on the moon.

Neil A.

Now say that backwards.

Conspiracy.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

he got you there OP.

I don't see it that way. If the poster was actually abducted, who's to say it was aliens? Further: that poster seems to be asseverating that they star every "ufo" video as it's apparently a response to DeadSeraph's title.

Abductions are a very complex subject---from sleep paralysis to OBEs/Astral Travel to historical accounts that rarely perceived the abductors as off-planet ETs. I've had an up close experience that left no personal doubt that me and my mates were seeing something stupendously anomalous but no proof it was ET in interstellar craft. Heck, I even have my own "abduction" experience and I'm not ready to blame it on aliens.

Many of us here "believe" to some degree or another, but we also want the truth whether it confirms ET or confirms something more basic to human nature---or at least something much closer to home.

Time to Come Clean: I'm an Abductee
edit on 6-11-2014 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   

They're plenty of UFO videos and threads that deserve the word UFO in them, because that's what they are to the OP who posts them, 'Unidentified Flying Object'.

Now I know that you know the difference between UFO and 'Extra-terrestrial spacecraft', because I rarely see threads entitled 'ALIENS IN A VIDEO'.

But the way you've worded your OP, it sounds like you don't know the difference at all.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

well, i'll let the maestro say it

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: skyblueworld

That is a fair criticism.

However, I think it should then be clarified whether or not the bulk of believers in alien contact believe that most of these videos are of alien space craft, or simply "unidentified flying objects" in their most literal sense.

My main criticism to this excuse is quite simple: If the object is simply unidentified, and not necessarily an "alien space craft", why not expend as much energy attempting to identify it?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse

www.youtube.com...

Whoa.. You mean..? We're in the matrix.. (hair flip) brah?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse

www.youtube.com...

Whoa.. You mean..? We're in the matrix.. (hair flip) brah?

BODACIOUS!!
i'm so watching bill and ted's excellent adventure tonight!

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I'm not that person anymore, but before, years ago, I used to think everything moving in the sky was a UFO (et) but that was only due to lack of knowledge.

After a while I thought, damn, all of this can't be UFOs, so I searched for information and found out about satelites and other junk floating in our skies and out in space.

Stars that can flicker in different colors due to reflections.

So these days, it takes a lot for me to believe it to be a ufo, they have to be up close so I can see details.

And for all the youtube videos, I have never believed in them and I am not interested in UFOs only the beings, but with so much cgi and fakery out there, even if something would be real I'd doubt I believe in it 100%.

If you'd asked me 10 years ago or even 5 years ago, I would have believed many things.... Not now though.
Make your own research people!

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Speaking as someone who for years had their bar set so low you'd be hard pressed to limbo under it I think the answer is two fold.
1. Belief is like a plant , it starts from a seed and the more you feed it the bigger it grows , with the advent of the internet and social media there is a lot of food out there for peoples beliefs to grow wild and obscure the truth , there comes a point where you can brainwash yourself into believing that any counter argument to the ETH is an attack on your belief orchestrated by those that want to hide the truth of Alien visitation.

2. As much as I've fought the suggestion over the years I think it's become apparent that the subject has become a religion to some people , the high priests Greer , Friedman , Bassett and the like give their sermons via youtube and UFO conferences and their followers lap it up as if it's gospel.
The real world is a sad depressing place and Ufology gives people hope that someone or something is here to save them from their oppressors , give us free energy to save the planet and make everything right .... Gods from the stars.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Very interesting observations, Gortex. Especially your 2nd point. I think many of these individuals are probably anti-religion (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), yet religious in their own beliefs.

Funny how that works.

I almost think ATS would benefit from a collective asswhooping by a psychologist on the subject of "confirmation bias". It really does apply to every single belief system out there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join