It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. sub attacked by polar bear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 12:57 PM
link   
LoL i got a kick outta this:

May 30� A U.S. nuclear submarine has taken on some unusual damage during maneuvers.

As the new Seawolf class sub USS Connecticut surfaced in the ice pack between the North Pole and Alaska on April 27, a polar bear chomped on its rudder, then attacked it.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The poor old bear have thought it was a giant whale

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 01:04 PM
link   
haha, now THAT'S funny

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Since Georges W Bush is Us prez, even the Polar Bears are unamericans !

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 01:23 PM
link   
LMAO!! The polar bear is laying an a$$ wupping on that sub.

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Now dats one hell of a bear. Give me a stinger (maybe a tactical nuke) and I could whup its tail, anything less and I am bear food

XAOS

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Thas so cute! I wish Bush would go on an arctic exloration or something and met that bear!

NANS is right, even our wild life is out to get us too!

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Do someone have the video ? I don't want to pay 5 bucks just for a little video !

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 03:29 PM
link   
That bear is my hero!!

I wonder if Bush use this as an exuse to further his "war on terrorism" agenda.

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Why is a US submarine in the North Pole anyway?

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 04:03 PM
link   
N.I.A has received a sighting report on OBL. He's hidding, somewhere in the North. Some igloos have already been targeted by cruises missiles & JDAM.

No collateral damages but a seal.

P.S : PETA want to sue the USN.

[Edited on 1-6-2003 by ultra_phoenix]

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 05:39 PM
link   
That bear has got balls most people like OBL and Sad Hussain got theirs asses kick for attacking US proerty.

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 11:02 PM
link   
That is funny, bears usually don't attack unless they have young cubs around

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
Why is a US submarine in the North Pole anyway?

US and Russian nuclear submarines often patrol the north Arctic regions... For "boomers" (nuclear missle submarines) the Arctic is a perfect launching platform, as it presents an area where thier missles cross the north pole and into the target country in the shortest amount of time, allowing the least warning (as little as 6 minutes flight time depending on your target within the country)

Also, since they can launch thier missles from beneath the ice, it is very difficult for satellites to track them.

Nuclear attack submarines also routinely patrol the arctic, looking for opposing boomers to tail and possibly attack.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Just a clarification. Boomers (Missile Boats) cannot fire their missiles through the ice. They have to find a Poylama (unsure of spelling) which is a thin spot in the ice to surface through. Them they can fire their missiles.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 01:29 AM
link   
They have to find a Poylama (unsure of spelling) which is a thin spot in the ice to surface through.Posted by Dellarb

Well yes, but they can fire through a polyarna without surfacing. They have CCTV and special upward looking sonar designed to guage ice thickness just for launch situations.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Im unsure that the Intertial Guidance System on any ICBM could withstand and impact with ice of any thickness. I think it would be ill advised to do this. Besisdes before firing they sub has to at least go to periscope depth for a GPS reading so they can program their exact location into the missiles. Oh sure u can use the subs INS to program the missiles just they want them to be very acurate when u are trying to land on in the middle of a silo field.

new topics

top topics

join