It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Myth's Mountain - The Legend is Real [SEC2014]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Her blood curdling scream tore the fabric of the quiet night, bouncing from one side of the mountain valley to the other, reverberating through even the bones of every creature who heard as the sound grew more ominous riding on the echos of the still night air.

Beth moved out of the city into this serene mountain valley to find some measure of peace in a world gone mad. Trekking out completely alone and on her very own for the first time in her reasonably short life. The daily grind of work and the gossip of busybodies held her interest no longer. Tired of crime coupled with the mundane normalcy of life she came up here only 8 months ago; this nowhere spot high in the mountains where the only person she knew of was herself.

She had done well for herself thus far, ransacking her savings to have her quaint little cabin built. Surviving through hunting and raising a garden for her day to day. She would need to make some measure of money soon, but she was putting it off as long as possible, not wanting to enter back into the realm of humankind any too soon. She was enjoying this new life she has made a little too much for that.

Yet this night was not like any other that had gone by thus far, because tonight she was face to face with a very large bear the color of midnight with huge teeth which he gifted her with the sight of in the baring of fangs coupled with a roar that made her blood run cold. She began backing up while every atom of her being cried out to run. Ignoring her inner instinct she obeyed mind – what little was still under her power - and stepped backward, one agonizingly slow step at a time while keeping her eye upon the great beast. Suddenly her foot found a loose pile of rock causing her to stumble. Loosing the struggle for power over staying upright flesh and bone met stone with a sickening thud right before her entire world went black.

Wrapped in furs the giant of a man looked down into the face of beauty, not even the blood of the head wound marred such perfection of nature in his mind. He had kept a distant watch over her since she came here, to his land, his home. Yet, she didn't realize she was little more than an intruder he knew, and since the first sight of her he had been overcome by a desire to protect. An instinct long ingrained in human men for the female of the species. After scaring away the threat to her safety he had gone back to make certain her soul still lived in the body he was so drawn to, only to find himself overcome by an emotion he had never felt before.

Shaking off the enchantment she unknowingly cast, he bent down and cradled her gently as he lifted her, carrying her back to the cabin where she lived. Setting her down, just as gently, on the covered porch of her home he drank in the sight and smell of her one last time before going. Staying at a goodly distance he kept watch over her this night, like so many nights before, to make sure she stayed safe. As her head was throbbing and the sun was just starting to rise in the sky, he hefted the bear carcass over his shoulders and made his way to the mine shafts that were his home and the home of his family, which ran deep inside the mountains – abandoned for all modern man knew.

Waking confused, not knowing how she happened to be on her porch once more or what happened to the bear she remembered from the night, she found her nostrils permeated with a heavy, musky animal scent which confused her all the more as she seemed nearly bathed in the stench. She didn't realize upon waking that her life had been spared by a creature spoken of only in whispers and believed myth by most. Soon enough however, she would find out what had spared her this night and on that day she will wish not to have known for a fact that Bigfoot is neither a myth nor a monster, but a large breed of man dressed in furs.

And one of their small number, loves her.

edit on 5-11-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

A great read, very well written. I am humbly impressed!

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Thanks for the compliment! Thought the idea would go well in the short story section for this contest...

edit on 5-11-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Wow! That was so well written! Bravo! Great story!

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Thank you Night Star! Means a lot coming from you!

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
lol it was a chick flick, thats what made it good read for us gals!
s and F

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

lol... THAT is exactly what my husband said... he said : "It's the chick flick of short stories"... he didn't like it as a result (because god knows he thinks he must be manly! lol), but said that all the women would love it!

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I'm a huge romance novel reader, but these types, the mystical or myth like ones, are the best. I loved it! You did a great job! I hope you continue the story.....I was on the edge of my seat wanting to read more

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: j.r.c.b.

I have been tossing this idea around in my head for an actual book. I think vampires have been done to death, and there is actual legend that bigfoot is not a monkey type creature, but an actual man like us, just a larger version who dresses in the skins and furs of his kills. It's a native American legend from what I have gathered which predates Europeans living here.. so I thought it would make a totally cool story line. Especially considering the legend of Bigfoot is always an engaging topic of interest.

And of course, if people have specific styles of writing, mine will always lean toward the romance!

But yes, definitely it is something I will be expanding on, one way or the other!

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Loved it! Yeah...I can see this as a set-up for a strange romance with some interesting potentials for a novel. So...it looks like, by the indication, she's not so thrilled that Bigfoot-Man loves her? Well, if she wants a life off the grid...I' jus' saying'...

Thanks for the fun read - beautifully done.

- AB

new topics

top topics

join