It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A little reading test that shows how wonderful the brain is

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   
The original message was broken down into the first paragraph in red and the second in green. The first paragraph starts," this message" and ends with only certain people can read this..

Maybe that will get you started..

7H15 M3554G3 53RV35 7O PR0V3 H0W 0UR M1ND5 C4N D0 4M4Z1NG 7H1NG5!
1MPR3551V3 7H1NG5! 1N 7H3 B3G1NN1NG 17 WA5 H4RD BU7 N0W, 0N 7H15 LIN3
Y0UR M1ND 1S R34D1NG 17 4U70M471C4LLY W17H 0U7 3V3N 7H1NK1NG 4B0U7 17,
B3 PROUD! 0NLY C3R741N P30PL3 C4N R3AD 7H15.

If you can read this, you have a strange mind, too. Only 55 people out of 100 can. I could read it mostly except for the 3d word which I think I finally figured out.. "reveals"

The last paragraph is easy compared to the first one, IMO

I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it whotuit a pboerlm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   

If you can read this, you have a strange mind, too. Only 55 people out of 100 can.

If the majority can read it does that mean the ones that cant are the ones with a strange mind?

edit on 3-11-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

The third word is "serves".

I was weird enough already damnit!

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   

53RV35,the third word is the only one I can't read. I assume it's "serves". I couldn't read it but since 5 is S and 5 is E that must be it.

Really cool though. Reminds me of one I saw in the newspaper like ten years ago where the middle of words are jumbled or random but the first and last letters are correct so you can read the whole thing quite easily. Thats because you aren't reading each letter but using your internal dictionary to infer words based on length and context and the beggining and end.

Ugh I just read the last paragraph of your post. You already included this.......
edit on 3-11-2014 by tavi45 because: auto correct mistake

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Surely it's just the human version of 'predictive texting'

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Trivia:
That is actually the secret code found in the Nuclear football.

i would not be surprised frankly.
And "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" is probably the secret pass-phrase to get into area51

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   
This is old.
I think everyone can read it, unless you have trouble reading in general

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I wouldn't be too surprised if a large percentage of ATS members were able to read that.

We're a weird bunch alright, smart, but weird.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   

4M4Z1NG!! 1'M N07 3V3N 3NGL15H 4ND 1 H4D N0 PR0BL3M5 R34D1NG 17 47 N0RM4L 5P33D. FUNNY H0W 7H3 M1ND W0RK5.

P34C3

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Rainbowresidue

I wonder if the number of people who can read this, is in any way related to the number of people who have become used to creating strong passwords for internet accounts and the like.

I noticed last time I created one, that the site recommended a long password, containing both letters and numerals, and combining the two by substituting numbers for letters according to their appearance seems an efficient way of constructing a strong password, assuming appropriate length.

What do you think?

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: operation mindcrime

4M4Z1NG!! 1'M N07 3V3N 3NGL15H 4ND 1 H4D N0 PR0BL3M5 R34D1NG 17 47 N0RM4L 5P33D. FUNNY H0W 7H3 M1ND W0RK5.

P34C3

H4H4H4.
V3RY FUNNY M473!

To: TrueBrit

You could be on to something.
I also think people who write programs might find this easier to read too. Thanks for the food for thought. It would be interesting to see indeed what makes it easier for some of us to read this numbers&letters mixture.
edit on 3/11/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: added a thought

edit on 3/11/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: spelling

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   

I think it is also worth mentioning, that as important as the correct first and last letters of words in the second test you provided to us, is the accuracy of the grammar being used. With an assumption of accurate grammar, the meaning of a jumble of incorrectly placed letters in a word, and by extension a message comprised of similar abortions of language, can be discerned quite easily, but if a certain degree of grammatical error is introduced on top of the clear misspellings, that would make reading and comprehending the message very difficult indeed.

I often find a post containing misspelled words much easier to read than one where all the spelling is perfect, but the understanding of grammar has failed the author. Inference... this is the key. I think of these things as being much like code breaking. If a message exists, but is encoded, then one needs a decryption key in order to decipher the code, and read the message. Grammar, in these situations, is part of that decryption key, in that it provides a framework for the mind to overlay onto the data provided, and infer meaning from it.

Without taking grammar into consideration however, it would be very difficult indeed, to decode such messages, because there would be no known values to work from. Now, it must be said that when reading the paragraphs, both the number substituted version, and the misspelled version, no actual conscious cogitation was necessary to decrypt the meaning of the information presented. It merely resolved itself automatically, as far as I am capable of registering it. However, I have no doubt that something very much akin to basic code breaking was happening somewhere in my head at that point, and all code breaking, no matter how apparently simplistic, requires known values in order to work for the recipient.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

What a cool Thread! This is pretty amazing to see how our Brain works, when It is working properly.
Where You said, "The original message was broken down
into the first paragraph in red and the second in green.",
how many of Us might have seen those colors mentioned?!
I didn't see them. But I'm thinking that some here may have!!

a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

Man, I thought the PassWord for Area 51 was "The Hungry Rabbit Jumps."
Now I know why they kept chasing me off!! LOL!!!

a reply to: TrueBrit

True that's an Interesting Wonder to Ponder. Good Question!

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

All I saw was light grey text, on a darker grey background

I think the place where the OP first saw these paragraphs laid out, may have displayed them in a certain colour to keep them separate in the absence of any other apparent way of doing it. I would imagine that this is because they might be confusing to the eye, if a clear separation was not provided.

Here though, where an explanation of each paragraph was offered, this structure within the original post, broke up the two types of data without the need for a colour change. Just a guess on my part, but it seems to fit what we know, that being that the altered colour is not necessary in order to read the messages.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Yah, I know what Ya mean True. I had a similar thought of that when I saw it mentioned that two different colors were used. I was merely wondering if AnyOne may have seen those colors after reading the words, Red, Green.

You know, Our Brains are pretty powerful tools, and what with the Power of Suggestion and all......

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

The power of suggestion...

Hmmm... I suppose some subtle manipulation may have been at work there. God knows there are enough odd little tests which can fool the eye, that much is certain. However, for someone to be told that the colours red and green ought to be visible, and to perceive them when they are not there, and no optical trickery is at play, would be highly irregular, and not a subtle manipulation at all, but rather a grandiose one, as far as I understand these things that is!

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I hear ya there True. If someone did claim to have actually seen the colors, My first thoughts would probably be something like, they are full of it, They have a very active imagination, or They are the type that can be easily hypnotized.(?) There is most likely some more additions one might add to my thoughts here, but those are the ones that came to mind right away. LOL!!!

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
With what we know of how our brains automatically fill in the empty spaces to form what our combined senses perceive to be an understandable world. I have come to the conclusion that "Eye Witness Testimony" should be the last thing to be accepted as evidence in a court of law.

Knowing that our brains store "images" of everything and uses those images to tell our consciousness what is happening now in our immediate environment,how can it be trusted? Our brains use the composites to build an understandable world as quickly as possible by assuming what happened previously is what always happens.

Lets say a person leans around a corner so you see a head and a little upper torso. your brain fills in the obscured part and you recognize the whole thing as a wall connected to another wall(corner) and a whole human. You recognize this as fact not knowing for sure what was truly in the obscured areas. It could be a cyborg with metal legs or anything, but you see only what is understandable. As in the OP it does this with letters, animals, everything. So how can it honestly be trusted?

Brain Games (TV show) opened my eyes to illusions, and the like. Knowing how the eyes gather information and how the brain perceived it has convinced me that we can be made to believe many things that are not as they seem.
edit on 3-11-2014 by wastedown because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
As some had used LEET = 1337, yes, thats what it's called,
to h1d3 from 4ut0m4t3d detection in the past which is now d373c74b13 by many scans, I took this further.
Even fewer can read this at all or fluently and or answer it without knowing it:

Cn4ny1rd7i5nic5hr7msG?

Who can translate this / read fluently / answer?
edit on 3-11-2014 by oneoneone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: oneoneone

Grammar, spaces, these things are absent, and so I am having real trouble overlaying the same sort of net over this phrase, as I was easily able to lay over the previous examples. I have "Can any one read..."then I loose it until "message?" at the end.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join