It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

oppression = the growing pains of the soul?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
When you train your muscles you need resistance in order to grow. Your muscles don't grow when you're in the gym, they're being broken down. Rest and food makes them grow.

In society we can see how competition, and even war, makes innovation increase. There would be no stealth airplanes if it wasn't for the radar. There would be no antivirus software if it wasn't for computer viruses. Without filesharing of pirated files there would be less surveillance. The list goes on. Hegelian dialectic, thesis-antithesis-synthesis.

I have been thinking about groupthink, mind control and the sheep vs shepherd division. And I have been thinking about free will, the subconscious mind and other things.

I have been thinking for a long time that a lot of oppression, terrorism, wars etc. is simply evolution as it was meant to be.

But I have also been thinking about "conspiracy theorists", cynics, pessimists, people who resist those above them or question those above them etc.

Could it be that all of that which is above us in society, that which controls our minds, is connected directly to God? I have read this before, and thought about it. But what I mean is that could it be that oppression is God making us grow, and that our reaction to oppression, or perceived oppression, is our growing pains?

That individual humans in a mass of humans are like muscle cells in a muscle, and the manipulation of the herd by those above is like lifting weights at the gym? Or like a parent rearing their child, and all of the moaning going on is like a child being defiant?

My own evolution or progress seems to go in waves, fluctuate according to the Hegelian dialectic. At first I'm not so paranoid, but also not so enlightened. Then I'm more paranoid or suspecting and I see "an opposition", meanwhile becoming enlightened about it. Then I come out the other end with a deeper understanding of the other side, but not so fearful. I might perceive myself as seeing dimensions of it that others don't. Rinse and repeat.

Jesus said, "Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will reign over all. [And after they have reigned they will rest.]"
gnosis.org...

We may regard those who hurt us as our adversaries, yet they are also our friends, because they force us to grow wiser. Our adversaries are the impetus or impelling force that helps us evolve. These adversaries bring awareness to our deepest fears and unconscious beliefs. When we can bring awareness to these hidden parts of ourselves, the things which we avoid can become our gateway to growth and healing. Our antagonizer is our helper. The people who you struggle with will only be forcing you to dig deeper into your inner wellspring of lightness, love, and inner peace. The gems you find inside yourself will bring an even higher awareness, allowing others to respond from a more empowered loving space. When you start recognizing the divine within yourself and in everyone, then everyone you meet becomes a divine teacher showing you exactly what you need to learn next on your life journey.
www.mindreality.com...

cheetah vs gazelle

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Double post.
edit on 3-11-2014 by funkadeliaaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
its evolution as it currently is, but it is not a static process. Certainly not life as it was meant to be. We didnt evolve thick exoskeletons to protect ourselves against bomb blasts and projectiles for a reason imo and thats because its not what life was meant to be.
edit on 3-11-2014 by funkadeliaaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: introspectionist

If you aim to achieve something, and others bring about your failure, you can blame them, and say, that if it weren't for your oppressors, you would have made the achievement, or, you could say, the very fact that you failed means that your approach was incorrect in the first place. The first alternative is demeaning, and the second is empowering.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: introspectionist

nice one introspect.
I totally get it, think it, and talk about this seemingly natural state of pushing and pulling in regards to oppression and reemtion all of the frikking time.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
That wasn't many replies for a full working day away from the forum. Judging by the posts I read on this forum, and what topics engage people, I'd say that a vast majority have still only experienced the "you will be disturbed" part, that might be one reason this doesn't engage more. Or it's something else...

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Here's a nice little story I found in the book In The Mystic Footsteps of Saints.

To Each His Own Desserts

Allah Almighty has established natural laws, and has bestowed upon us minds with which to understand these laws and their applications. Fire burns, so don't put your hand in fire. Knives cut, so don't put your hand under a knife and trust in God's mercy, no. The same applies to the relationship between rulers and their subjects. "Don't throw yourselves (foolishly) to your destruction," warns the Almighty. There is always a correct way of dealing with the ruling authorities, and the key to understanding the correct approach is the tradition of the Holy Prophet, peace be upon him: "You get the ruler you deserve." Hajjaj bin Yusuf was one of the most famous tyrants of history. "The Tyrant" was his title and a title well earned, as everytime he entered a city he made hills from the heads of the people he killed. Once Hajjaj conquered a city and summoned a group of prominent citizens, asking them, "Am I an oppressor or a just ruler?" Naturally those people were quaking with fear, and humbly addressed him: "Oh our Amir, you are very just. " He shouted angrily: "They are liars, take them out of my sight and behead them!" Then Hajjaj called in another contingent of prominent citizens and asked them the same question, but as they understood what had happened to the previous group they said: "How can you be called just when you kill the very people who declare you to be just? Surely you are a tyrant!" "Liars, all of them! They lie too! Executioner, take them away and behead them too!" And so it continued throughout the day: a group was called, and answered, "You are just" and was killed; then another group who answered, "There has never been a tyrant the likes of you," was killed as well. Gradually all of the prominent citizens of the town were slaughtered, except for a group of religious scholars who Hajjaj was intending to question last. As they were walking towards their dreaded meeting with Hajjaj, an ecstatic madman of God came up to them and asked them where they were going. "Go away", they answered, "We have no time to talk to you now." "Tell me where you're going," he insisted, "to a banquet? I am going with you!" And so he sauntered from side to side of the group, bothering them and pushing himself upon them. Finally, one very old shaykh said to him: "Oh my son, leave us, we are going to a slaughterhouse." "Oh let me come too! After slaughtering there should be a feast with plenty of meat!" "As you like," said the old shaykh. Then the madman took a stick and went out in front of the group of scholars like the leader of a marching band. In this manner they arrived at the court of Hajjaj. Hajjaj was sitting like a frowning statue when the bizarre madman entered with the scholars. Hajjaj was taken aback by the appearance of the madman and a little afraid, as his clothes were weird and his turban was awry. The madman shouted: "Hey, Hajjaj!" The hearts of the scholars fell, and they thought: "My God! No one has ever dared address Hajjaj like this! How did we end up being led here by this madman who is bound to make Hajjaj even angrier. Perhaps he will not just kill us now, but flay us alive!" The madman continued: "I am the commander of this group of scholars. Don't tire yourself by asking them questions one by one, just ask me what you will. If you are pleased with my answers, fine and well, and if you are not, take them off and slaughter them." Then Hajjaj said to the madman: "Alright, I accept. I will ask you my questions and you will answer for them. Am I an oppressor or a just ruler?" "God forbid that you are an oppressor or a just ruler! You are the ruler sent upon us in accordance with our own attributes. You are a punishment, the curse of God, upon these people. We are the real oppressors, not you." Then Hajjaj applauded, saying "All you have said is true. This is the answer I have been waiting for. All day long I have been listening to lies. They called me an oppressor, but no, it is they who are liars, and when the others called me just they were even more shameless. Yes, I am Allah's punishment for their actions. Now I have my answer, you may all go free." Be wise and learn from this tale. If you think that a government is oppressive, look a the people being ruled and you will understand why they are suffering.

This makes at least me ponder the question, can sin be the path to enlightenment?

This is something that interests me and that I have been thinking about.

According to Islam you don't believe in God if you hate your parents. This is in Gospel of Thomas:

Jesus said, "Whoever does not hate father and mother cannot be my disciple, and whoever does not hate brothers and sisters, and carry the cross as I do, will not be worthy of me."

The Quran says that Jews have angered God. These two quotes are from Judaism: An Introduction by Oliver Leaman:

but he grappled on the way with a stranger, often taken to be an angel, after which he was called Israel - someone who struggles with God and men, and beats them.

Esau was indeed on the move toward Jacob with a considerable force. Before they met, however, Jacob wrestled with the angel, and during a long struggle dislocates his hip, but overcomes the angel in the end and is rewarded with the name of Israel, meaning ‘he who won in a struggle with God’.

This is a passage from the Quran that I have been wondering about a lot:

And they followed [instead] what the devils had recited during the reign of Solomon. It was not Solomon who disbelieved, but the devils disbelieved, teaching people magic and that which was revealed to the two angels at Babylon, Harut and Marut. But the two angels do not teach anyone unless they say, "We are a trial, so do not disbelieve [by practicing magic]." And [yet] they learn from them that by which they cause separation between a man and his wife. But they do not harm anyone through it except by permission of Allah . And the people learn what harms them and does not benefit them. But the Children of Israel certainly knew that whoever purchased the magic would not have in the Hereafter any share. And wretched is that for which they sold themselves, if they only knew.

This leads me into a discussion I have had about dogmatism vs truth seeking and how that relates to Muslims and Jews.

As of now, I don't take any stand at all, at least not consciously. I just seek. But for one thing, it might not matter much what stand you think you take, but more other psychological phenomena, such as what state of mind you're in, or what your mindset de facto is. I am also puzzled by the fact that truth seeking seems to be inevitably leading away from any kind of faith, possibly away from God and Christ or the holy spirit. It's almost as if truth seeking is in some ways synonymous with rejecting Christ. Anyway, I'll just keep seeking, because it feels like the only right thing to do for me right now.
edit on 241130Mon, 03 Nov 2014 15:24:08 -0600201408pAmerica/Chicago2014-11-03T15:24:08-06:0030 by introspectionist because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join