It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Redskins suing Native Americans offended by name

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb
So you want their free speech suppressed so they don't infringe on other peoples free speech?
Look you don't even think they are people cause they are whiny wimpy and thin skinned.

Thin skinned, wimpy whiners aren't actual human beings.

Sorry they don't view the world the same as you, you must have all the answers.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   

They have every right to complain about the name. No two ways around it. Whining about whiners is still whining.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

I agree. Making a huge issue out of a simple matter like a football teams name is pitiful when there are much more important issues facing Native Americans. It`s ridiculous how easily offended people are these days. I just don`t see how the redskin name is offensive. It`s not like they have a team logo depicting a negative image. I understand that the word redskin, at one point in history, referred to the scalped head of a Native American, but not in this sense. It is used as a team name by a group of individuals that play a team sport. A team sport is an activity in which a group of individuals work together to accomplish an ultimate goal which is usually to win. I don`t find any of that offensive in any way.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   
If the adults on the forum haven't seen the South Park episode regarding this issue (this season's first episode) I highly recommend it. One of the finest pieces of satiric gotcha that I know of. (spoiler alert: it regards the Redskins having to give up their trademarks).

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I call shananaggins on this. what grounds do they have to sue on? You can't sue someone for complaining. Not surprisingly the article makes no mention of the particulars. I won't call this story a lie but I think there is a lot more to this or it's just a rouse to fire up the non-pc crowd before the election.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: damwel

From the ops source...

The team has used the Redskins name since 1933, and has asked the judge to reverse the trademark board's removal of protections of six trademarks the team registered between 1967 and 1990. The team argues that the name is not offensive, and that canceling its trademarks would violate its free speech rights and take its property without compensation.

A lawyer for the Native Americans, Jesse Witten, argued that his clients should be left out of the dispute and that the lawsuit against them should be dismissed. But team attorney Robert Raskopf said Amanda Blackhorse and the other defendants belong in court because they're the ones who filed the petition.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

If the adults on the forum haven't seen the South Park episode regarding this issue (this season's first episode) I highly recommend it. One of the finest pieces of satiric gotcha that I know of. (spoiler alert: it regards the Redskins having to give up their trademarks).

Go fund yourself!

Last week's was pretty good as well as it satired the Ferguson situation.

edit on 3-11-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I hope the Redskins win the lawsuit, they have spent a lot of years building a brand and all of a sudden a few butt hurt people think they should change their whole brand.

And they only choose the Redskins to focus their attention on when there are countless teams in America and beyond using Indian names.

florida state Seminoles

Cleveland Indians

Atlanta Braves

Kansas city Chiefs

Chicago Blackhawks

Literally hundreds of high school teams named the Indians or the Braves or the Apaches etc etc.

Or how about the Coachella valley Arabs in California who has had their name since 1931. they had to change their mascot but get to keep their name.

Why is it always just about the redskins? They had what they called a huge rally in Minnesota this weekend to protest the
redskins playing the Vikings and only 5000 people showed up, that is only 5% of the native American population in that state.

even in the indian community its only a minority that is offended ,

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiedDestructor
a reply to: damwel

From the ops source...

The team has used the Redskins name since 1933, and has asked the judge to reverse the trademark board's removal of protections of six trademarks the team registered between 1967 and 1990. The team argues that the name is not offensive, and that canceling its trademarks would violate its free speech rights and take its property without compensation.

A lawyer for the Native Americans, Jesse Witten, argued that his clients should be left out of the dispute and that the lawsuit against them should be dismissed. But team attorney Robert Raskopf said Amanda Blackhorse and the other defendants belong in court because they're the ones who filed the petition.

That doesn't answer my question. You can't sue someone for filing a petition. There is a thing called abuse of process but that hardly would apply here and I dont see it mentioned. Rabble rousing is what I think it is, aimed at the duck dynasty type folks.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
what about redman tobacco? or any of the other hundreds or thousand of "offensive" names??

Funny how they only went after THIS one team (which may be the basis of the counter lawsuit)

I would have more sympathy if they went for all the names instead of just one........

Seems a bit prejudiced to me (funny that huh?)
edit on 3-11-2014 by thedigirati because: lazy finger repair (spelling)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I have been sitting the fence trying to decide what is right and wrong here.........This is my personal conclusion the Redskins are wrong. The name should be removed and after all of this the owner should sell the team.

Imagine if this team was called the Blackies or the coloreds. This is simple truth and I wish I had seen it from the beginning.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Sensitivity is weakness.........Boy life must really suck to view it this way. Empathy,compassion,sensitivity are not weakness and anyone who views it this way has some issues going on.

Truth is subjective dear readers just because something does not offend or hurt you does not mean it will not offend or hurt others. Seeing this simple truth makes life better for you and everyone around you. And before you reply back saying I am a soft touch.......look at my past posts. I hate the progressive politically correct crap going on. But the older I get the more I understand just how important empathy and kindness are.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth
a reply to: Domo1

I have been sitting the fence trying to decide what is right and wrong here.........This is my personal conclusion the Redskins are wrong. The name should be removed and after all of this the owner should sell the team.

Imagine if this team was called the Blackies or the coloreds. This is simple truth and I wish I had seen it from the beginning.

You should really research the use and history of the name. I've done it for people on threads regarding the topic in the past but honestly I shouldn't have to.

It's not as cut and dry as "blackies" or "coloreds". It's just not. Not even close.

The sad thing is elementary children would likely show more couth tan adults given the proper history of it all.

It seems as if we have traded places with elementary children. We bitch and moan, cry foul and exasperate ourselves doing so. The adults who are supposed to give us the proverbial "smack" to the back of the head followed by a verbal "grow up" are no longer there.

There hiding under their covered forts finding to ways to be offended.

Get up, pulled that sheet down and start encouraging our youth in a more productive way. All these damned "victims" we are creating will one day run this country.

I think we have enough finger pointing in politics but you ain't seen sh# yet....pat yourselves on the back for this nation. And when the time comes??? Own it!!!

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TiedDestructor

The fact remains some Indian people are offended by the term Redskin. This is a fact not a truth. I stand by what I said earlier this name should be removed and the owner should be forced to sell the team.

You mention history being the root cause of them wanting to keep the name......LOL. It is money.........MONEY. This is also a fact. You try and put your personal truth forward as fact. You paint with very broad brush strokes and I have found in the past when I do this I paint myself into corners.

edit on 3-11-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Change the name to the Foreskins. Problem solved.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: groingrinder
Change the name to the Foreskins. Problem solved.

You made me spit my soda out all over my desk.......LOL. Thankfully it would be easy to remove this name if it ever needed to be changed........Ouch.
edit on 3-11-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The attack on the Redskins name has been costly to the organization and they have the right to seek damages from those that are causing the financial strain on the Redskins. The Native groups claim to be offended and this "claimed" offence is costing the Redskins plenty of reason to take the case to court.

I personally think the name is a honourable tribute to a worthy adversary and the Redskins used that tribute to project themselves a fierce warriors to intimidate their opponents. Hardly an offence. 'Washington First-Nations"... does not strike the same cord.

Long live the Redskins!!

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

So in other words it's not enough to steal their land, kill them in masse, and relegate them to reservations, we also should be able to profit at their expense.

Money is not important than human beings. It's the American way. It's just sickening how awful our country is.

So you think there would be no problem if the team was called the "Washington N*gg*rs" or the "Washington Chinamen"?

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45
a reply to: MALBOSIA

So in other words it's not enough to steal their land, kill them in masse, and relegate them to reservations, we also should be able to profit at their expense.

Money is not important than human beings. It's the American way. It's just sickening how awful our country is.

So you think there would be no problem if the team was called the "Washington N*gg*rs" or the "Washington Chinamen"?

No, I wouldn't call a football team the N*gg*rs or Chinamen because historically they were victimized which does not project strength. The red man fought bravely and since the Braves were already taken...

I think Natives should be proud of the respect that was given to them, naming an NFL team after them. The soap box Natives that are making a big deal of it now are clearly starved for attention.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com... .html

Jesse Witten, whose clients include Native American activist Amanda Blackhorse, told Judge Gerald Bruce Lee in U.S. District Court in Alexandria that the Native Americans aren’t qualified to be defendants in the trademark case because they don’t have a legal or economic motive to control the Redskins’ logo as a rival business might. He also told the judge that the team filed its suit in the wrong courthouse. The Redskins filed the lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Alexandria this past summer after the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office board declared that the team’s name is offensive and that its federal trademark protections should be stripped. The Trademark Trial and Appeal Board made that decision after Blackhorse and four other Native Americans filed a complaint several years ago. The Redskins’ lawsuit in Alexandria federal court gives the team a chance to defend its name and appeal the board’s ruling. Dan Snyder, the team’s owner, has said he’ll never change the team name, which he says honors Native Americans.
so this seems to be what they are basing their case on something to do with patent law not being followed? from other links i think the redskins team is basing it also on the fact that when they filed the patent on their trademark it was not considered racist as well and i belive the lawsuit is also based on them not being able to challenge the ruling in court with out doing this (they want the right to face their accusers)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join