It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Redskins suing Native Americans offended by name

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
This is a simple matter of money.
The redskin franchise is valued at a billion dollars.
Change the name and it instantly becomes a five hundred million dollar franchise.
Cowboys = 1 billion
Jaguars = 500 million
See the difference? Legacy equals big bucks

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb

If you say so

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

And money takes precedence over actual human beings 100% of the time right?

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45

I didn't say it was right did I? Just saying it's the reason.
Besides its easy for you to be on your moral high horse, it's not your money or your kids future being taken away.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
It's bigger than that, if 5 people of any race complained about anything to the trademark office for whatever reason , they would be told to take a hike, but since the government and Obama have their grubby hands in this mess that they are using them as a front .

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

edit on 0220141120141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Sorry I was wrong!
The redskins are valued at 2.4 billion not 1 billion..

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

Regardless of your intentions your coming off a bit strong.

Unless you've been elected their representative and I have been misinformed.

The fact is if your stir up controversy; there is consequences. Period...

edit on 11/2/2014 by TiedDestructor because: Tacos

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

makes one wonder if the five were looking for a outta court settlement and the team get to keep the name.
things that make you say hmm.

edit on 2-11-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Sounds like a SLAPP suit, designed to run the other side out of money.
Our county government filed such a suit against a group of citizens who had gone to court to get an Open Records request granted. They knew they had no case but they also knew we had no money to hire an attorney to fight a lawsuit. At least they thought they knew we had no money...turned out we had enough to defeat them.
Looks to me like a public relations disaster all the way around....and fat checks for lawyers all around.
My native blood doesn't get offended by them being the Redskins but my white blood did get offended when I learned that the National Football League is a non-profit, tax-free organization.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Personally, it does not matter to me. But, I see both sides. However, if they were the Washington Blackskins, we'd have a different story, wouldn't we? It's just that no one really cares about Native Americans all that much. They aren't a minority, with much force or power. Now, that's the honest truth, and don't say it's not. Like I said, Redskins, meh. Blackskins, we'd have had riots in the street, and those riots would have happened 40 years ago, and the name would be changed.

C'mon now. Admit it. You know it's true.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

edit on 0220141120141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Catacomb
I'm sure you're right. It would have been settled 40 years ago without moving a bunch of lawyers into the next tax bracket.
But it wouldn't have any difference to me 40 years ago what some football team called itself because I have not one iota of interest in any football team or what they call themselves.
In my view, it's just another device to divide us as people and keep us fussing at one another. I get fussed at if I call myself an Indian by the PC Native Americans. I get fussed at by my family if I call them Native Americans. My heroes were the leaders of the American Indian Movement.
I just find that when someone wants to complain, they can look about and easily find some about which they can whine. If they wish to be offended, their wish will be fulfilled by someone. While there are hungry, desperate people in our society I just think that spending these vast amounts of money on lawsuits over a sports team's nickname is totally ridiculous. Do you know how much food and shelter could be provided on the rez for the money they're spending to bring and defend these suits? They should all be ashamed of themselves.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

Wait, you think that because someone complains about something they should be sued?

I didn't say that. I said, "I don't care". It may be a disproportional reaction by the Redskins, but I'm just saying, I'm not going stand up for the whiners and argue on their behalf. I wish no good for the whiners and hope no victory comes their way.

However, I wouldn't want this to set a standard that people who file complaints can be sued. Some people have legitimate complaints. The Redskins name complaint, imo, is illegitimate. The level of sensitivity displayed by the whiners is disgraceful. Tough skin is a good quality to have. Sensitivity is weakness and when the weak have power over the strong, the world, or the government, is operating against logic and that is a weakness in the government.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=18618103]tavi45[/post

What's your Native American heritage and how close to being extinct are you? I'm curious to know if you have a personal stake or simply one of the morally outraged internet guilters. I'm not a fan of the team in question.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

However, I wouldn't want this to set a standard that people who file complaints can be sued.

Then by this statement you would almost have to be against what the redskins are doing as it would set the precedent and allow the very standard you don't want.
So you don't have to be for the 'whiners' but you should to be against the redskins and their actions.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

However, I wouldn't want this to set a standard that people who file complaints can be sued.

Then by this statement you would almost have to be against what the redskins are doing as it would set the precedent and allow the very standard you don't want.
So you don't have to be for the 'whiners' but you should to be against the redskins and their actions.

Maybe, but I don't think these whiners should go unpunished. Maybe not by law. But, someone needs to cut out the middle man of the government and go to them directly, if you know what I mean. These wimps need to toughen up.
edit on 2-11-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45

Thin skinned, wimpy whiners aren't actual human beings.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Why do they need to be punished for having an opinion?

And no I don't know what you mean, sounds like you are advocating violence against them to 'toughen them up'.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Why do they need to be punished for having an opinion?

Having an opinion is one thing. But, having an opinion that you use to infringe on another's free speech, is another.

And no I don't know what you mean, sounds like you are advocating violence against them to 'toughen them up'.

lol. I didn't say that.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join