It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Will Confirm 'First Contact' - Us or Them?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I'm wondering if there would be the same panic as happened in October 31st 1938 when H.G.Wells book 'war of the worlds was broadcast on Mercury theatre as a radio play, total panic ensured by the population within radio range. Orson Welles had a lot to answer for! (The producer)

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

Neither is the existence of God or the soul......

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I think we make a great mistake in looking up and for some disclosure that "we're HERE!".

'Would be much akin to ants on the ground looking up and buzzing to each other "when will the giants quit stepping on our house!!!???"

We are the ants....and I think we expect too much and understand even less. If it was WE that were them? Why bother with with us?

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Neither is the existence of God or the soul......

Exactly there is no proof of God or the soul and yet billions of people blindly follow.

I guess it depends on how you view our souls.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

I'm wondering if there would be the same panic as happened in October 31st 1938 when H.G.Wells book 'war of the worlds was broadcast on Mercury theatre as a radio play, total panic ensured by the population within radio range. Orson Welles had a lot to answer for!

Actually, there was not a lot of panic. A bit, perhaps, but not much.
But it was after all, a story about an invasion (complete with heat rays and people dying), not an announcement that "Hey, guess what, there is life elsewhere!"

While there were certainly many exceptions, documented evidence indicates most who listened did know it was a dramatization and were completely aware that New Jersey was not being destroyed by visitors from space. Further, as you’ll soon see, the broadcast didn’t have very good ratings when it first aired; so even if everyone who listened had thought it was real, it wouldn’t have resulted in the level of mass hysteria commonly spoken of since.
www.todayifoundout.com...

Oh, and Welles did indeed answer for it.

Among the suits, which were summarily dismissed, supposedly there was one man who got what he was asking for. That person was a Massachusetts man who claimed he had spent the money he had been saving for a pair of shoes on leaving town to escape the Martians. When Welles’ heard about this, he insisted that the man be reimbursed his shoe money.

edit on 11/4/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: johnrobca

sorry th e thread it is refrenced in is on a hidden list.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: manusinghchopra

I belive in everything

I have a hard time believing in everything.

How does that work out for you?

You believe UFOs are extraterrestrials and demons?
You believe Jesus was the savior and that he just a man?
You believe in the process of evolution and that God created everything just the way it is?

Is that you T. Adi? Maybe if you didn't spam multiple threads with the same post...

edit on 11/5/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 04:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman

originally posted by: PlanetXisHERE

The answer is obviously neither one. They are already here and have been forever...and as a whole we ignore the evidence, which is massive.
Even you're ignoring it with this thread of something historically, archaeologically, spiritually and scientifically sound by evidence.
Quit looking at the skies and look around you...read up a bit.
They are here....

Yes, this, if you don't agree with this you haven't done your homework or have just been well brainwashed by the MSM, don't feel bad I used to be as well.

Apparently night vision goggles work well at night, look at the skies, you will see some things that are not satellites, planes or shooting stars.

Well I have done a little homework and I respectfully disagree. I refuse to be brainwashed by the alternative or mainstream media. Evidence is a aplenty. But no one can come up with definitive proof.

I will have to respectfully disagree with that. The hard proof is there.

For some, they will have to wait upon the government, MSM and science to tell them that it is hard proof for them to agree.

For others, they will see the hard proof and be able to make up their own minds.

One example (there are many more), the 1952 example of days of seeing flying objects over Washington DC in July. These were seen by thousands of people. Picked up by multiple radars, some objects flying away at incredible speeds and making maneuvers no aircraft then could make. Yet it was called "swamp gas". I rest my case.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   

The answer is obviously neither one. They are already here and have been forever...and as a whole we ignore the evidence, which is massive.
Even you're ignoring it with this thread of something historically, archaeologically, spiritually and scientifically sound by evidence.
Quit looking at the skies and look around you...read up a bit.
They are here....

Read up a bit???? Are you serious????
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Try that thread on for size, and then come back here with that comment. Ever think of checking a member's profile, before you post?

Thing is, I agree with your pov, but your supposed takedown of this member in this way couldn't be more ludicrous. I even thought about if you were being sarcastic, facetious…..perhaps you were.

But yes, you are right. They are here and as time is an engineered circle/cycle, there is no telling when they really got here. Quantumly speaking now, they were always here.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Considering that there are many documented sightings of craft of unknown origins that are reportedly capable of extreme maneuverability, I should think they are already around. The question then becomes, why not openly state your identity, intentions and allegiances?

There is quite a large amount of misinformation floating around online and elsewhere, perhaps fueled by human speculation, fantasy and imagination, but also perhaps in part fueled by ET suggestion, about how they are all incredibly scared of human weapons, how they are very kind and enlightened and want to share technology with us for no other reason than it seems to be space-Christmas, how spiritual emissaries have come to uplift humanity through something really fake-sounding, or how these ETs are somehow the progenitors of humanity and have returned to claim the rule of Earth, and so on and so forth...

One thing is clear: they are already here. They are here and they are busy doing something in a very clandestine and deceptive manner. Add to this the extensively documented reports of alien abduction phenomena, and you have pieces coming together. Hybridization, telepathy, pacification, unquestioning acceptance and acquiescence, emotional and mental control and manipulation, establishment of underground compounds...

Can it be, are we being invaded in a most insidious and methodical manner? Can humanity do anything to resist, in its current divided and conflicted state?

If you are in doubt about the alien presence in our world, feel free to view some of my sources:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

I know the list of which you talk ... one day I hope to be able to view them ... its sounds like an interesting read, just my cup of tea ... especially if its got some info on alien intervention in human evolution ....

cheers
edit on 6-11-2014 by johnrobca because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: PlanetXisHERE

Yes interesting case which I do remember reading about as a kid (possibly in Ruppelt's book???) . It's not one I have studied in massive detail though. I think the official explanation was "temperature inversions" and radar was a lot more rudimentary back then. That explanation seems a bit too convenient as well to me. There was a lot of government media manipulation going on around that time in the US and UK over the 'flying saucer problem' as well. They really weren't sure what they were dealing with.

In fact the DC 1952 Sightings would be a good subject for a full thread. There have been a few stabs at it down the years on ATS but perhaps it needs a refresh and update?

So I am not saying I don't think UFOs exist. Any object in the sky, until it can be identified is a UFO by definition. It's the proof that UFOs are 'extra-terrestrial' spacecraft I am yet to find. They may be something else entirely. But I guess we all set our own parameters for that proof.

As long as you are willing to debate in a constructive way (as you have) to explain your viewpoint then I think we can always respectfully disagree (and even sometimes agree) with each other.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: AllyofHumanity9220
Considering that there are many documented sightings of craft of unknown origins that are reportedly capable of extreme maneuverability, I should think they are already around. The question then becomes, why not openly state your identity, intentions and allegiances?

There is quite a large amount of misinformation floating around online and elsewhere, perhaps fueled by human speculation, fantasy and imagination, but also perhaps in part fueled by ET suggestion, about how they are all incredibly scared of human weapons, how they are very kind and enlightened and want to share technology with us for no other reason than it seems to be space-Christmas, how spiritual emissaries have come to uplift humanity through something really fake-sounding, or how these ETs are somehow the progenitors of humanity and have returned to claim the rule of Earth, and so on and so forth...

One thing is clear: they are already here. They are here and they are busy doing something in a very clandestine and deceptive manner. Add to this the extensively documented reports of alien abduction phenomena, and you have pieces coming together. Hybridization, telepathy, pacification, unquestioning acceptance and acquiescence, emotional and mental control and manipulation, establishment of underground compounds...

Can it be, are we being invaded in a most insidious and methodical manner? Can humanity do anything to resist, in its current divided and conflicted state?

If you are in doubt about the alien presence in our world, feel free to view some of my sources:

www.youtube.com...

Fist reason they do not reveal themselves is the GOvernment will not allow them to do so. The powers in control would lose power and be exposed. They wll kill to keep control and are holding humanity hostage basically.

Abductions. Actually these are all government sanctioned and they implant false memories to cover up the experiments. The offshoot civilization currently orbiting cloaked use their mind tech to that end in exchange for informaton.

Look up the secret space program. And then read up on ORION. the program was never really stopped and eventually led to the dev of the black triangles. Were not being invaded though,but we are being used to advance their understanding of things.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Them.

But not anytime soon.

And not to any heads-of-state.

Though the rest of humanity may not even be aware of it when it happens.

Indeed, may already have taken place, is ongoing, and will continue indefinitely.

Or not.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
Until FTL can be proven at least beyond the point of speculation which is where it is at now the possibility that ET has visited earth at this point in time which for the pupose of our coversation encompases the 200,000 years man has inhabited earth seems pretty far fetched.

Status of "Warp Drive"

Billions of planets that we think may be conducive for life but which ones? ET would be faced with that same question

Not if they actually fund their space program and build telescopes. Even our species without a warp drive has begun mapping out places of interest which may someday be the target of interstellar probes/missions.

The Habitable Exoplanet Catalog

In fact just this year we found the first planet of the same size as the Earth in the "Goldilocks Zone" of its star- Kepler-186 f:

Comparing sunsets...

Our closest Earthlike neighbor is likely to be similar to Kepler 186 f and it is likely less than 12 light years from Earth based on research data on the average distribution of habitable planets in Kepler Data.

22% of stars like the Sun have a "Goldilocks Zone" rocky planet perhaps similar to Earth.

48% of smaller M-class "red dwarf" stars likely have a "Goldilocks Zone" rocky planet perhaps similar to Earth.

That research in the chart above is what leads to the conclusion that our nearest Earthlike cousin is probably less than 12 light years from Earth.

However, we will need new telescopes to locate it and other nearby world's like it.

So what would help us learn even better which planets would be of interest to us? What technology do we have or soon could have which could detect new life and perhaps even new civilizations on these distant worlds?

The Terrestrial Planet finder.....

Unfortunately, our species is not so forward thinking sometimes...

Had that project been built on its original schedule we'd likely know of at least a couple of "nearby Earths" within 20 light years of our planet.

However these missions/telescopes below are still on track...

The James Webb Space Telescope will characterize nearby exoplanets

The New World Mission..... (personal sidenote, I was able to see and handle a small prototype of the flower-shaped Starshade while visiting NASA Ames earlier this fall)

Colossus - An Infrared Alien Telescope

Square Kilometer Array

So.... if the aliens even have a modest but well funded space program and were anywhere within 3,000 light years of Earth they'd probably know about our planet being a home for life. If they were closer than 130 light years they'd likely know that Earth possessed a technological species.

Chances are that if there is anyone home around a nearby star system we may find them within the next 30 years based on those and other telescopes/missions.

This is not just my opinion but that of an official NASA report:

And is the subject of this story: NBC News: Could We Find Alien Life Within 20 years?

If you are interested in any of this I urge you to have a listen to the talks on the first link on this page:

The Next 40 Years of Exoplanets

And read this...

Planet-hunting pioneer calls for probe to Alpha Centauri

By the way....

I made this video last November using Celestia. I made it was because this subject often comes up.

In it you see how far our technological footprint in the Galaxy goes out to, not just for radio but for things like city lights and waste heat which also are detectable at interstellar distances.

These are the "fingerprints" that would tell a curious species that not only is life on Earth but that some of that life has technology.

It should be noted that our planet's loudest "signal" that it has life of any sort has be been broadcast not by us humans but by bacteria, microbes, etc for about 3.8 billion years.

Here is how our Earth's spectrum would appear to someone else out there:

Due to the effect these tiny microbes have on the composition of the Earth's atmosphere it is possible that Earth is on many lists of planets with life of any alien species with large scale telescopes out to a 3.8 billion light years distance in any given direction. The size of the telescope they'd need to detect this "signal" would be based upon how far away from us they would be.

That's far enough away that in theory, a civilization in the next galaxy (Andromeda) could have known life existed on Earth for the last billion years if they had a massive array of space telescopes.

However, we now have this technology and could mount such a search for planets with at least simple life using a large space telescope of the kind described by several researchers in these recent videos of session on Astrobiology and Exoplanets in the US House of Representatives:

We could look at planets around most of the nearby stars out to about a 1,000 light year radius, perhaps more depending on the size of the telescope.

Sadly, while we in the above ground world of science wait for such telescopes to be funded, the black budget world likely already has them operating, they're just pointed at the earth rather than at exoplanets as was pointed out 1 minute and 30 seconds into the following video:

Also is possible to detect the waste heat of an alien civilization with a massive telescope, bigger than the largest planned optical/near-IR telescope (E-ELT) using a telescope called Colossus (which would be entirely privately funded by the way.)

The Colossus Telescope Web Site

I even wrote a short story tight here in this Aliens & UFO's forum which sort of ties these things together in a credible sci-fi "First Contact" scenario that may become sci-fact in the next 10 to 20 years or so:

ATS: Astronomers Detect First 'Clear Signs of Civilization' Beyond Earth - How will you react?
edit on 22-11-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies
Science will be the common language of communication, as science rules are the same everywhere. The same chemicals react the same way, the same numbers add up the same way, the same laws of physics apply no matter what. Science is how we will relate and communicate with any alien species.

It's likely that any alien expedition to our planet will either be exploratory or militaristic in nature. We'd better hope it's not the latter.

I agree with all but the last statement. I highly doubt there will be a bunch of militaristic species out there traversing the stars.

The same technology needed for interstellar travel is the same technology which could wipe out the species if it is warlike. If war is more important to them than exploration they will never leave their solar system as they will have used whatever fission, fusion, anti-matter or other such weapons against each other.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
I'm wondering if there would be the same panic as happened in October 31st 1938 when H.G.Wells book 'war of the worlds was broadcast on Mercury theatre as a radio play, total panic ensured by the population within radio range. Orson Welles had a lot to answer for! (The producer)

Not at all.

1) That panic was overblown by newspapers who wanted to paint this new medium, radio as "dangerous and potentially disruptive". (sound familiar?)

2) There has been 80 years of sci-fi since then which has conditioned most people to think about life in space.

3) There has been a slow but steady increase of our knowledge about what is out there and this has really taken off since the 1990s discoveries of the first exoplanets. Our view of Earth being unique has been eroded to the point of aliens being inevitable. That was not the case in the 1930s.

4) Most people my age and younger already expect to have made first contact. One of the common questions I get from other people my age and younger when they find out what I study isn't "Do you think we're alone?" it is "So where are all the aliens?"

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The only way humans in the position to release contact info will is if it gives them more power or wealth. Chances are the power and wealth would be gained by keeping it secret.

That leaves the ETs to set the record straight.

Always factor in the prime directive, 'its about money'.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
The why.....

The plan...

Comparison of telescope mirror size:

Excerpt form the NBC News article I linked above: Could We Find Alien Life in 20 Years? That's Up For Debate

In “Star Trek” lore, humans meet their first aliens in 2063. It turns out that we might not need to wait that long — at least according to some optimistic scientists who claim that we should find evidence of alien life within the next two decades.

"I think in the next 20 years we will find out we are not alone in the universe.”

Those words, from Kevin Hand, deputy chief scientist for solar system exploration at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, made headlines on Monday when he spoke them during a panel discussion.

He's not the first one to make predictions of that kind. Russian astronomer Andrei Finkelstein gave the same time frame three years ago, and Seth Shostak, senior astronomer at the SETI Institute, has said we will discover a signal from intelligent life by 2025, only 11 years from now.

Later, Hand told NBC News that he stood by his statement. Between the search for signals from alien civilizations, advanced telescopes examining atmospheres of exoplanets — planets that orbit stars other than the sun — and potential missions to Europa and Enceladus (the water-covered moons of Jupiter and Saturn, respectively), he said, it’s not a stretch to think that we might find signs of life relatively soon.

“There are not tremendous technological hurdles to getting this kind of exploration done,” Hand said. “It’s not like we have to develop warp drive to search for life on Mars and Europa.”

It’s more a matter of will than scientific know-how, he said. NASA’s $8.8 billion James Webb Space Telescope is a good start. Slated to launch into orbit by 2018, it could detect signs of oxygen, methane or other signs of biological life on distant planets, although some scientists think that an even larger, more advanced telescope is needed to accomplish that goal.

So those of you who want real proof of life in the universe need to make sure that NASA's budget remains the same or increases.

Another excerpt:

There are theories as to how common life is in the universe. But until we actually observe signs of life, we can’t be sure, he said. If we do find something in the next 20 years, however, it could mean that we have a lot of alien neighbors.

“If you put your toe into the ocean and a shark bites it off, you can bet that there are other sharks out there,” Marcy said. “If we put our toe into the cosmic ocean and we make contact with life, that could be a sign that the universe is teeming with it.”

While the two scientists might not agree on everything, they both believe human beings should be putting more resources into exploring space for signs of life.

Finding it anywhere could mean "we live in a biological universe where life arises whenever the conditions are right," Hand said.

The possibility of such a revolutionary discovery is worth funding advanced telescopes and missions to Mars, Europa and beyond.

As Marcy put it, "There is one thing we can say for sure: If we don’t look for life out there, we won’t find it."

And another exoplanet pioneer and the authority on exoplanet atmospheres, Sara Seager said something similar:

"I wanted to explain that we have a new search in progress. We'll use TESS to find rocky planets transiting small stars. Then we'll use the James Webb Space Telescope to observe the atmospheres of those planets, during transits or secondary eclipses. The punchline here is that if we're really lucky and everything works in our favor, we will be able to infer signs of life on those planets. We have a shot — I'd call it a remote shot — of finding life within the next decade."

Filling in the numbers...one by one...

edit on 22-11-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join