It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corporate Retailers will again disrupt their workers thanksgiving family dinner and get together for

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

It's not a personal attack on you, it's a simple observation. You have a very arrogant take on this, and you keep trying to twist it back on the employees when I've repeatedly said it's the CONSUMERS that need to buck up foremost. I literally just pointed out that when Krakatoa the consumer or Joe Schmoe the consumer walks in the door of a business with money to spend, that's the inspiration to stay open. Not the employees. The employees have little, if anything, do to with it, and you know it. THEY don't have much of a choice in whether or not their employer stays open. The projected revenue the company sees does. If the revenue falls way short, and does so year after year because consumers refuse to shop on that date, it won't be worth the time, money & effort for the companies to be open. Are you comprehending this, or being purposefully obtuse?

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

It''s really ridiculous to lecture me on my life when you don't even know me or what I do. I'm probably as old or older than you. I grew up without a father who died when I was 2. I grew up in a family of all 3 girls and a mother who worked like a dog to put food on the table for her kids. I did all the chores fathers did around the house and than some. I started working at the age of 14, and had a hard working role model in my mother. I've been a hard worker my entire life so don't give me this hard ass attitude about expecting to be entitled. You don't need to lecture me about how you busted your butt to get everything you needed. Cry me a river. I know exactly what that's all about, but than again you must know my life story.

Have you ever heard of the concept of giving and caring? You can be the hardest worker around, but if you can't stop and smell the roses once in awhile you can become a pretty miserable human being. Giving something back to your employees shows you care and appreciate their dedication and work. It's really surprising that you can't understand that human concept.

Maybe retailers should also have them work on Christmas day because they're not entitled to have that day off either. People have lives outside of work or maybe you don't understand that concept either.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
So, how does that "wishing" someone else fixes the problem working for you? Not everyone has (nor should they) the same set of importance for holidays. Talk about an arrogant approach? It is arrogant to assume everyone not shop on a specific day because some people don't want to work that day. That is the crux of my point....everyone makes choices...that is what is grand about being a sentient being. You have a choice. If I choose to shop that day, it is my choice. If you choose not to want to work that day, that is your choice, if a business owner wishes my patronage, they need to be open that day and that is their choice (actually, not really if it is a large corp, there are investors and board members to answer to as well).

Anyone saying that business owners are "greedy" and "not being sympathetic to their employees" is an attempt to diminish that freedom of choice. If someone does not want to work, fine, don't work that day. But, be prepared for the consequences of that decision and have a backup plan in place.

Playing an eternal victim (not saying you in particular are here) will guarantee you are treated as a victim. Playing a winner by standing for your moral choices, regardless of the consequences, is a lot harder. The risk is not zero, and I think that is what some of the entitled are afraid of at this point (IMO). As a child, if someone was never taught how to handle small disappointments, then how in the world can they expect to handle life altering decisions?

Personal Responsibility
Person Choice
Personal Risk

Never hand that decision to someone else, or you may not like their decision.....and at that point, it's crocodile tear time. Call it rough, but, life was never meant to be all unicorns farting skittles.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Your arrogance is leading you to utterly miss the point. It's not just the employees that need to tell the employers where to shove what, but the consumers that would otherwise back the employer's choice with their money. Consumers need to step up to the plate and make it not worth the companies' time to be open. Period. An employee refusing to come in won't achieve that, the revenue generated is still going to be generated when YOU, Krakatoa the consumer, walks in with money. Don't give the companies the satisfaction of being open in literally the middle of a holiday dinner for early Black Friday sales that can wait, make it a money sink to do so.

I don't understand how he's missing the point on this issue. His view on how people should be treated is sad.
edit on 2-11-2014 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I hate this, retailers are so darn greedy! Grrrr!!!

My mom just quit her job as a store manager of Kohl's because she was sick and tired of being worked to death. Prior to Kohl's she worked for a different retailer and always had to go to bed at 6pm on thanksgiving so she could get a few hours of sleep before heading in to work at midnight for almost a 24 hour shift.

This is why I will never ever work in retail again, it's horrible. I won't be doing any shopping at these stores during the holiday season, nope.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
a reply to: Nyiah

Your arrogance is leading you to utterly miss the point. It's not just the employees that need to tell the employers where to shove what, but the consumers that would otherwise back the employer's choice with their money. Consumers need to step up to the plate and make it not worth the companies' time to be open. Period. An employee refusing to come in won't achieve that, the revenue generated is still going to be generated when YOU, Krakatoa the consumer, walks in with money. Don't give the companies the satisfaction of being open in literally the middle of a holiday dinner for early Black Friday sales that can wait, make it a money sink to do so.

I don't understand how he's missing the point on this issue. His view on how people should be treated is sad.

Then I guess we both think each others opinions are sad. Fine, works for me. I've expressed my opinion in this rant, as have you. My participation is now done.

Have a great holiday season.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

This early opening for sales in my opinion is completely WRONG. Just stayed closed until the normal opening on Friday morning. It worked that way just fine for many many years. I blame All big stores for the trend to open earlier and earlier. I just cannot imagine that it would be making that much difference in opening at 6PM on Thursday. Pretty soon the stores will simply stay open just as they normally do.
I wish it was back like it was in the 50's where nothing was open after closing on Friday night.

I agree. I really can;t understand why they would even want to take away from "the Black Friday thing" which is the busiest shopping day of the year. It's kind of ruining the early morning anticipation of Black Friday shopping. In the mean time, let's ruin the workers holiday and have them put in 12 hours and work through the night and into early morning hours.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

I hate this, retailers are so darn greedy! Grrrr!!!

My mom just quit her job as a store manager of Kohl's because she was sick and tired of being worked to death. Prior to Kohl's she worked for a different retailer and always had to go to bed at 6pm on thanksgiving so she could get a few hours of sleep before heading in to work at midnight for almost a 24 hour shift.

This is why I will never ever work in retail again, it's horrible. I won't be doing any shopping at these stores during the holiday season, nope.

I can understand your mother's decision. We have a Kohl's near us, and they stay open longer than any other store in the area. I wouldn't be surprised if they're going to be open late on Christmas day! These same retailers will be up in arms if retail workers start to organize. This is a perfect example of how businesses act when there is no organized labor to protect the worker.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I can understand your mother's decision. We have a Kohl's near us, and they stay open longer than any other store in the area. I wouldn't be surprised if they're going to be open late on Christmas day! These same retailers will be up in arms if retail workers start to organize. This is a perfect example of how businesses act when there is no organized labor to protect the worker.

So you just have an issue with retailers being open on the holidays? What about other businesses?

Additionally, my first job required me to be in a union and we were open EVERY holiday.

edit on 2-11-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Augustus, don't bother, brother. Anyone that self-deprecates themselves with a handle stating "We Are Peons" will always view themselves as a victim IMO.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

So you just have an issue with retailers being open on the holidays? What about other businesses?

Additionally, my first job required me to be in a union and we were open EVERY holiday.

No, like I said, years past you would be hard pressed to find anything open on Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter. I don't think any business should be open except for hospitals and other emergency services. What really gets me is how retailers already have "Black Friday" to take advantage of filling their stores with shoppers. Why impose their greed of squeezing out more profits by taking away a traditional homecoming holiday?

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I don't think any business should be open except for hospitals and other emergency services.

So the people who do not celebrate or desire to go out on those days should be forced to share your sensibilities?

My employees argued over who would work on Christmas. Not to see who would not come in but over who was going to be on the schedule. They made big bucks on the holidays.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

a reply to: AgentShillington

I hope you're not a business owner because you seem to have no heart what so ever. What is sacred and human is treating someone with respect and not have a "screw you attitude". It seems to me you're very much in the minority on this issue.

I'm glad that you don't have any actual authority to demand that the rest of us live our lives in accordance to what you believe to be the moral, respectful, sacred way.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

So the people who do not celebrate or desire to go out on those days should be forced to share your sensibilities?

My employees argued over who would work on Christmas. Not to see who would not come in but over who was going to be on the schedule. They made big bucks on the holidays.

I'm sure not all these retail workers have a choice to work on Thanksgiving. I'm sure some wouldn't care to make the extra bucks, and that in my opinion would be ok, but let's be honest, I doubt retail stores employ enough people to cover every department to allow those who want to celebrate with their family to stay home.

I'm sure some workers would choose to work out of necessity to make extra money because they don't make enough in the first place. Money has a way of dangling the carrot in front ot the horses mouth.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I'm sure not all these retail workers have a choice to work on Thanksgiving.

Yeah, they do, it's called finding another job. When you work in retail or hospitality you better get used to the idea of working on weekends and holidays or you should not bother applying.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Its the free market. If you don't like it, don't shop there. If you don't want to work there, find another job.

Isnt it in the brochure that when you apply and accept employment at a large national retailer, you might have to work Thanksgiving?

Furthermore, the holiday pay and extra hours help a lot of people who do work retailer.

When I hear a rant like this, all I hear is, "I know whats better for you than you do" and I bet your solution is to pass a law so retailers cant be open on Thanksgiving.

Give me a break.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join