It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLL: would you support human-made life on mars???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   
hey ATSers...

i just saw a program on the history about sending humans to mars. one of the problems of keeping the humans alive on mars is the supply of oxygen. humans only breath oxygen and they will need alot on mars for a "trip" there. on the program, a man talked about humans making an artificial nature (clouds, air, grass, etc.) and this will allow man to live on mars without space suits.

the ONLY problem i have with this is:

how will we tell if the life on mars (if there is) was man-made OR there all along...

so here is the question:

would you support human-made life on mars???

please answer with a clear yes or no and then you can add whatever you want...

i vote yes but ONLY after we fully visit mars and check for life...

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Yes.

but, like my good friend above, we need thoroughly check mars with a fine tooth comb before doing it. our life also needs to be perfect. we have a chance to start from from a perfect slate, lets not eff it up.

Good thread.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
As Amorymeltzer said. Though i do not believe that we'll be starting from a "perfectly" clean slate. There are unknowns, some of which may screw our plans up.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Reproduction is so much fun!

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   
we need to get the hell of this planet if we want the survival as a species. its only a matter of time untill Earth is hit by another large astroid.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by replicators
we need to get the hell of this planet if we want the survival as a species. its only a matter of time untill Earth is hit by another large astroid.

so is that a yes or a no ???

did you even read my post???

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I would support it even if it displaced native life (non-intelegent). We have to leave this planet and the moon and mars are perfect places to start. We have life right now on earth that can live on mars (some have even survived trips to the moon) I would be happy to be in the first wave

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
YES!!!!

Definately, pretty soon, it won't matter if there is already life there, we'll be forced to leave here anyway. But it would be nice to find out FIRST.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I choose yes. It would mean more stuff to see and learn. I'd like to see mars one day, but I don't think I will in the next 60-70 years. :/

On one condition. The Martians won't come and kablodey our earth.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Yes!
I think that terra forming other planets is a great idea.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Despite our great advances in biology, I dont think we are ready for that just yet.
I would be less than responsible to contaminate another world without knowing EXACTLY the out come. NASA takes great pains to ensure that deep space probes are sterile of earth life.

[edit on 12/9/2004 by Notme]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
YES

I would be all for terraforming Mars if we could do it in the future. Even if we found some Martian microbes we could conserve them we dont need to give them the whole planet. I doubt we will ever find anything more then microbes and the way we would change Mars might be better then for them.

If they were harmful to human or earth life we could always set up microbe perserves in labs or something no need to wipe them out .

[edit on 9-12-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by replicators

You could just as easily say the same exact thing about Mars though, you know.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I saw this on the History Channel last night as well. I was going to start a thread on terraforming, but, unlike so many others, I actually use that little search function and see that is has been well discussed.

And no, I don't like the idea of terraforming. The guy used the example of how we created the 'greenhouse effect' on our planet. Alter a planet?? Can't we ever just learn to adapt instead of making everything else adapt to us??

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Umm adapt to mars? the moon? Ain't happening. Only way we can live there without the need for lifesupport equipment for bases is terraforming. My answer is a big hearty YES.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
i think its a good idea (yes) considering it does have qualities that shows it might have been so already. So why not restablish an ecosystem, even if through unatural means. Plus im sure we can learn much from how things would develop in a less weight restricted environment. Probably we would have many mutations in plantlife as a result and who knows what the benifits may be.

But we definately need to prioritize: first we need to fix some of the problems already faced before we jump ship and rebuild. So in other words at this point in time i see it as we arent prepared for this yet, culturally speaking. But im all for it when the time comes.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
I would support it even if it displaced native life (non-intelligent). We have to leave this planet and the moon and mars are perfect places to start. We have life right now on earth that can live on mars (some have even survived trips to the moon) I would be happy to be in the first wave

I agree with you totally Amuk except on 1 point,we do not have any life on earth that can survive on mars,i`m not sure if i watched the same program here in Aussie land a year or so ago but they definitely said that for the planet mars to support basic life fungus to grow and produce oxygen,they would have to pollute the atmosphere to produce green house emissions and warm the planet up,well thats 1 thing we all know how to do

If we are to survive and not blow ourselves up first we have no option but to leave this planet to escape the sun`s expansion,if we were to successfully transform mars we would have to leave mars 1 day for the same reason,according to the program

So thats a Yes from me

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by gps777
I agree with you totally Amuk except on 1 point,we do not have any life on earth that can survive on mars,

I have seen several programs that said differently. But I am talking about the SIMPLEST forms of life, some bacteria, lichens, algae and stuff along those lines. We have lifeforms that live under WORSE conditions. I am not a scientest by far but it seemed reasonable. I can not remember the name of the program but if I do I will post it

What can not survive now could after a little DNA tinkering I am sure.

The easiest way to put CO2 into the atmosphere is to crash a few large comets into it. after you thickened up the atmosphere some the rest would be downhill. It is doubtful if humans could ever live without oxeygin tanks because of the CO2 would have to be thicker than here to mantain a good temp. Not Impossible but kinda doubtful.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Ya Amuk, well probably have to run around with some type of Dune breather device hehe. Infact there are places on Mars right now that all you would need to survive is an oxygen tank. The temps at certain locations on mars is quite temperate for part of the marsian summer, i remember reading somwhere that certain places can get as warm as 30c . Can't remember where I saw it though sry. Mightv been space.com

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

Originally posted by gps777
I agree with you totally Amuk except on 1 point,we do not have any life on earth that can survive on mars,

I have seen several programs that said differently. But I am talking about the SIMPLEST forms of life, some bacteria, lichens, algae and stuff along those lines. We have lifeforms that live under WORSE conditions. I am not a scientest by far but it seemed reasonable. I can not remember the name of the program but if I do I will post it

What can not survive now could after a little DNA tinkering I am sure.

The easiest way to put CO2 into the atmosphere is to crash a few large comets into it. after you thickened up the atmosphere some the rest would be downhill. It is doubtful if humans could ever live without oxeygin tanks because of the CO2 would have to be thicker than here to mantain a good temp. Not Impossible but kinda doubtful.

Cheers Amuk if you do find

I pretty sure the one i watched was called Planets and narratted by Sam Neil,very well made docco,but i`m sure there will always be conflicting programs and veiws all very intertesting none the less

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join