It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's a Person?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Federal and state governments want to decide who -- or what -- is a person with new bills and amendments written in sometimes confusing jargon. But I believe that this decision isn't up to the politicians, it's a woman's choice! Today, I take on the Life at Conception Act and Colorado's Personhood Initiative.

Do you agree or disagree with my opinion?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: JesseVentura

It certainly isn't something for politicians to ascertain.

Thanks for defending women and the realisation of the foibles of a male centric society. Sometimes I wonder if humanity is really in some 'it isn't really that far from the stoneage' type ways of thinking.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   

I don't believe the government should have the power to meddle in a woman's medical affairs; however, were I a zygote, I would not wish to have my life cut short. I think socially we should strive to reduce the number of abortions and to discover ways to support pregnant women and single mothers so that they can raise children without sacrificing their own self-determination. I think often we look to single mothers and blame them for their situations instead of realizing that they are performing the important work of raising a member of tomorrow's generation. The more we empower mothers to do that without cutting short their own creative potential, the better off all of us will be, zygotes included.
edit on 10 30 2014 by Nechash because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth

Sometimes I wonder if humanity is really in some 'it isn't really that far from the stoneage' type ways of thinking.

I've been thinking a lot about that lately. I wonder if civilations years from now will look back at us with the shock and disgust that we feel when learning about ancient human sacrifices, barbaric torture, and genocides.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Based on my opinion and your post, there are already people here in the present who notice the barbaric ways of our society.

Of course women should have individual sole authority over their own reproductive rights. Even in a marriage situation. It should always be their choice. Even if they want 1000 abortions.

Now that being said, i also believe that life starts at conception/fertilization. Because thats when it starts. Consciousness starts sometime after brain development, but life begins at fertilization. I don't think that life requires consciousness. And i don't think we should change the definition of life or personhood just so that it fits with our messed up legal system. I understand that people have a right to life under our constitution but i think a woman's choice should supersede because i believe that if she is being forced against her will to carry a baby to term, by a law or by the father, then her body is actually being hijacked/kidnapped and used as life support "against her will" being the main point. That mother is also protected from these things under the constitution and she is allowed to use deadly force to protect herself. So they don't have to change the constitution.

a reply to: JessicaRabbitTx

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Agreed. I am personally against abortion. FOR ME. I make that choice FOR ME, not for anyone else. And every woman should make it for herself. The government already has too much to say about our personal lives and decisions.

If people want less government, ALL these anti-abortion laws and "personhood" amendments should be trashed. It's PERSONAL, not the business of governing a nation.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

I hope they start thinking like that soon.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I don't think men should have anything to do with what women do with their bodies.

How would any of those pro lifers know what it's like to be raped and carry a baby to term?
How do they know what it's like to be ostracized or shunned for getting pregnant by accident at a young age?

Do I think that women should be able to have an abortion every time they forget birth control or because they're lazy?
No I think that if you knowlingly have unprotected sex when contraceptives were available you should be accountable for your actions. But on the same note, accidents happen and sometimes a woman isn't ready to be a mom.

Maybe this is coming from the viewpoint of a man but I think that abortions should be legal everywhere and publicly funded. BUT, there should be a limit to how many you have. Any more than 3 per year or 10 total and they get put on a list and checked out by shrinks because come on, why do you keep getting pregnant and then not bringing the baby to term?

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
it might be easier to define what is NOT a person:
Politicians
Lawyers
Warmongers
Loan Sharks
Control Freaks
CORPORATIONS!

Not being a woman the abortion decision isn't for me to make.
Women have the right to control their bodies.
End of story.

I'm not pro-abortion, birth control should be available to anyone who wants it.
Help should be available to any woman who wants to carry full term.
Is it really that complicated?

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Everything you said in the video, I 100% agree with. Freedom of choice forever.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: thisguy27

So you can imagine a situation where you would force a woman to carry a child she does not want? How would you go about discerning who deserves the right and who does not deserve the right.

Does that not seem to be removing her freedom?

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

No I can't see a situation where someone could justify having 10 abortions in a legal clinic. There are questions and procedures to be followed in accordance with the law and part of that is questionnaires and check ups by workers. Enlighten me as to how someone could medically need more than 3 abortions in one year.

I would think that a national DNA database would prevent abuse. That is what I care about.

I don't think life starts until the fetus has brain activity. To me, up until then, it's a sack of meat. But once it has brain activity, it has life and it is murder to extinguish that. But I also think that abortions should not used as an alternative to contraception and birth control. Sexual education should include the ramifications of early or unwanted pregnancy and how to use contraception instead of bibles and abstention.

How would you make sure there was no abuse of abortion clinics Wood?

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
Based on my opinion and your post, there are already people here in the present who notice the barbaric ways of our society.

Of course women should have individual sole authority over their own reproductive rights. Even in a marriage situation. It should always be their choice. Even if they want 1000 abortions.

Now that being said, i also believe that life starts at conception/fertilization. Because thats when it starts. Consciousness starts sometime after brain development, but life begins at fertilization. I don't think that life requires consciousness. And i don't think we should change the definition of life or personhood just so that it fits with our messed up legal system. I understand that people have a right to life under our constitution but i think a woman's choice should supersede because i believe that if she is being forced against her will to carry a baby to term, by a law or by the father, then her body is actually being hijacked/kidnapped and used as life support "against her will" being the main point. That mother is also protected from these things under the constitution and she is allowed to use deadly force to protect herself. So they don't have to change the constitution.

It takes two to create a person what rights does the father have?

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 03:25 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 03:35 AM
link   
So long as we live in a society which has a massive laundry list of nanny laws trying to protect people from themselves, illegal drugs, laws allowing suicidal people to be institutionalized, laws restricting prostitution, and seat belt mandates, the argument "her body, her choice" rings about as hollow as most politicians' heads. The partisan politics of abortion don't demonstrate a party supportive of children who are the product of unwanted pregnancies on the GOP side, but they also don't demonstrate a party even remotely concerned with civil liberties when they veer even slightly away from a specifically targeted voter demographic (such as 'women') on the Democrat side.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

join