It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tim Cook, Apple CEO, proud to be gay

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Nobody really cares as long as their iPhones work.
Now will people knock on him for being a ceo of an evil corporation?

Amen to that. I am glad that he doesn't feel the need to "hide" himself anymore. Although, I'm sure that anyone who really knew him already knew he was gay.

It seems that a lot of gay people who are "in the closet" are under the impression that no one knows they are gay. If that happens to be you, listen ... everyone probably already knows. Yes, especially your mother. We don't say anything because its none of our business -- not because we don't know. The harder you try to hide it, the more obvious it is.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit

originally posted by: Annee
Let's be clear, Tim Cook has never denied he is gay.

It wasn't a secret. He just didn't publicly acknowledge it until now.

It's about damn time being gay is no longer a distraction.

Nobody knew, outside the Apple boardroom and the gay community.

That's not true.

Do like your rainbow Apple. Very cute.

However, it came before the LGBT rainbow flag, which has specific colors.

The Apple rainbow colors are from the computer screen spectrum.

edit on 30-10-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

I like your logo comment.

I was happy to hear Cook come out. It helps kids (and adults) who are struggling with their sexuality and hiding it, to see that someone very successful and in the public eye is not afraid or ashamed to tell the world who he is. In fact, he thinks it's something to be proud of. And everyone should be proud of who they are. It gives people who need it, the help to realize that there's nothing wrong or weird or shameful about them.

I'm not "proud" to be straight, but then again, I haven't been persecuted, shamed, embarrassed and criticized for being straight. I am kinda proud to be a woman, to be honest. I've had some rough times because I'm a woman and I'm proud to have grown into someone who is not ashamed or embarrassed because of the negative experiences I've had.

I know, nobody really cares except other gays - I wish gays understood that.

That's not true. I care very much. I believe in equal treatment under the law and I know that many gay people struggle with accepting and loving themselves for who they are. I would do whatever I could to help that to happen. So, I'm happy Cook came out. It's one more little step toward this country realizing the equality of all of us.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I know.. I (and everyone else) had rainbow suspenders in 7th grade because Mork had them. My mom knitted me a blanket about the same time - again, a rainbow. It's now in a box somewhere with some Ayds diet pills.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I know.. I (and everyone else) had rainbow suspenders in 7th grade because Mork had them. My mom knitted me a blanket about the same time - again, a rainbow. It's now in a box somewhere with some Ayds diet pills.

The Iphone should come with this as the ringtone default

Korg.
edit on 30-10-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I am straight, and grew up in a predominantly white, conservative community (the kind you would assume to be "intolerant"), and I can't recall anyone ever harassing anyone for being gay, except a couple occasions that involved the football players in high school, but then that was almost expected from those asshats. They harassed anyone that wasn't them.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
ISIS are not amused Mr Cook. see

Your on the beheading list now!!!

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

You probably didn't see much harassment because the gay kids were hiding in the closet. I'm in a predominantly white, conservative (blue state rich conservative not bible belt conservative) and I was harassed for not being traditionally masculine. I'm not even outwardly gay. Even my own friends just thought I was asexual, rather than gay, and I still got harassed.

A kid I know in the next town over was the first kid to ever be openly gay in his town and he was bullied and harassed endlessly. He's suffered from mental illness due to it.

Do you really think every single person in America treats gay people perfectly well and gay people are just whiners? I guess you think the same about women and minorities? You didn't see this in your community either because there were no gay kids or you just didn't see the harassment as bad. If there were openly gay kids how did you know? They must have come out at some point and apparently were then treated with dignity and respect. Was that how it worked?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I am straight, and grew up in a predominantly white, conservative community (the kind you would assume to be "intolerant"), and I can't recall anyone ever harassing anyone for being gay, except a couple occasions that involved the football players in high school, but then that was almost expected from those asshats.

Are you saying that, because of your experience, you don't believe that gay people have a struggle with their sexuality because no one harasses them or beats them up? I don't know how old you are or where you grew up, but just because you don't remember gay bullying doesn't mean it didn't happen, especially when so many are afraid to come out, so remain closeted. And it certainly doesn't speak for the fact that gay people are shamed and harassed many times a day.

Gay Bullying Statistics

When gay teens are committing suicide at 2-3 times the rate of other teens and one third of all successful suicides are related to sexual orientation, I can't turn my back and say I never saw it so it doesn't exist. I didn't see it when I was growing up, either, but with access to information that we have today, we can see that it's a very real problem.

And every step, like a major CEO announcing that he's gay, is a step in a positive direction in solving this problem.

I'm not saying you should care as much as I do. I'm an advocate and ally. But I am suggesting that just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean it wasn't there.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

I don't think you can legislate it away, though. People are going to be a**holes til the end of time. I got bullied in high school because I was a 'late bloomer' as they say. I ran into one of the bullies a couple years after graduation and I was bigger than him. He suddenly treated me like we had been best friends.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ispyed
ISIS are not amused Mr Cook. see

Your on the beheading list now!!!

They'd probably record it with their iPhones. Oh, the irony.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Lol. So what can we legislate away? Standard conservative defense. Human nature means people will always be awful so why bother?

So why do we have laws at all? I guess you think we should dissolve the US and live in anarchy?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45

Lol. So what can we legislate away? Standard conservative defense. Human nature means people will always be awful so why bother?

So why do we have laws at all? I guess you think we should dissolve the US and live in anarchy?

Right now that sounds like a pretty good idea.

Look, you can't arbitrarily designate a crime a "hate crime" and increase the punishment because the victim is ________. A crime is a crime is a crime and should be punished as such. This is what people mean by certain groups being "more equal" and getting "preferential treatment". If someone sucker punched me because they "thought" I was gay, do they get charged with a "hate crime" because I'm not?? Probably not. It's PC BS.

edit on 30-10-2014 by ScientiaFortisDefendit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I agree with you about hate crimes. But why are we even talking about crimes or legislation? I thought this was about how a CEO coming out makes a difference. Why it matters.

You can't legislate away hatred, fear and stupidity, it's true. But a kid who feels secure in who he is, isn't going to be as bothered by harassment as he would if he felt insecurity and self-hatred, brought on by how others treat him.

Cook coming out has nothing to do with crimes. It has everything to do with homosexuality becoming normalized. Which is a Good Thing.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45

Right now that sounds like a pretty good idea.

Look, you can't arbitrarily designate a crime a "hate crime" and increase the punishment because the victim is ________. A crime is a crime is a crime and should be punished as such. This is what people mean by certain groups being "more equal" and getting "preferential treatment". If someone sucker punched me because they "thought" I was gay, do they get charged with a "hate crime" because I'm not?? Probably not. It's PC BS.

Oh gawd! Here we go with "preferential treatment".

Interesting how those who try to hide their bigotry always reveal themselves in their own words.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
I agree with you about hate crimes.

I go back and forth in regards to the hate crime.

I don't know if anyone's ever been convicted on hate crime. I know they've been charged. It's like an extra deterrent, which I think does matter.

I think it matters because so many who are bullied are kids/teens. If that extra deterrent saves one kid I'm gonna support it.

It should apply to the recent events of African kids in school being bullied because of Eboli.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Meh, thread drift. I suppose it's more tolerated in the general chit-chat forum.(?) This is how conversations evolve.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

So now you're accusing me of bigotry? Really? You're reaching, skippy. If I were anti-gay, I suppose I wouldn't be a Graphic Designer, or I might not have chosen Theatre as my college minor. I guess I would never invite gays to my parties or have them as friends. But I did, and do all those. I guess if I am a bigot, I am the last one to know.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join