It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tim Cook, Apple CEO, proud to be gay

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Linky Winky

Interesting revelation. Not sure I would have known otherwise. I wonder how many customers Apple will gain/lose because of this news.

Also, I wonder if Apple will go back to their old logo:

What? You were thinking it.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I'm happy that he's happy, but I'm not sure why everyone needs to know.

I don't go around announcing that I'm straight, but maybe I misunderstand the why's of it because I don't live it?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Nobody really cares as long as their iPhones work.
Now will people knock on him for being a ceo of an evil corporation?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I know, nobody really cares except other gays - I wish gays understood that. I posted it for the apple logo gag.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Apple always has been a gay centric company, they're based around the creative arts which shall we say are more than usually homosexual (not all but certainly when i meet a graphics designer etc 9 out of 10 seem to enjoy their bread buttered that way)

being gay opens i think an extra part of the brain that has male and female views and its great for certain creative tasks and apples realised its part in the corporate environment as its never really going to compete on data centre email server software or spend loads trying to optimize some database software when it can take something and put a bit of shiny silver over it and flog it for twice as much as anyone else and in a lights out data centre you wouldn't see the apple logo so whats the point!

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
One wonders though, if straights don't care about announcements like this, why they're always commenting on them.

Peculiar, eh?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
B. F. D.

Who cares! How will this news change the world?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
One wonders though, if straights don't care about announcements like this, why they're always commenting on them.

Peculiar, eh?

We may be commenting, but we aren't having parades.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
Apple always has been a gay centric company, they're based around the creative arts which shall we say are more than usually homosexual (not all but certainly when i meet a graphics designer etc 9 out of 10 seem to enjoy their bread buttered that way)

being gay opens i think an extra part of the brain that has male and female views and its great for certain creative tasks and apples realised its part in the corporate environment as its never really going to compete on data centre email server software or spend loads trying to optimize some database software when it can take something and put a bit of shiny silver over it and flog it for twice as much as anyone else and in a lights out data centre you wouldn't see the apple logo so whats the point!

I'd like to disagree somewhat. I have been a Graphic Designer (among other things) for 30 years. While there are a higher percentage of males in the business who are gay, I would say that the industry is very female-centric in general. I have worked with far more women than males, and know more straight males in the business than gays. I'd also mention that it is one industry where there seems to be much less inequality and pay disparity between anyone.

These days I am more on the Web Development side of the creative arts.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I think it is a good thing that a major CEO has come out and admitted that he is gay. Business is a field still dominated by old school thought. CEO's have the stereotype of being sort of take no crap tough guys... Smart thugs in power suits. This, along with an increasing number of female CEO's helps to break the stereotype.

We still have a long way to go in regards to accepting homosexuality in our culture. Sure, they're protected by laws. But we still tend to sneer at them and make mocking comments when we see them in public. At least the people in the southeastern US do. It kind of pisses me off when I witness it because I'm a firm believer in freedom - including the freedom to be gay. It's not for me, but I do all in my power to show them the same respect that I would hope they show me about being heterosexual.

As far as the iProducts go? This won't change a thing. Apple groupies will still line up 6 weeks early for whatever new device gets announced. People who love Apple products LOVE Apple products.

link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Peculiar, eh?

Wish I could star that a thousand times. You da man. (Or woman)

link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
B. F. D.

Apple will see an uptick in sales among gays, that's how.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I find it more disturbing that we have a technology leader that believes in god!

Korg.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit

originally posted by: thesaneone
B. F. D.

Apple will see an uptick in sales among gays, that's how.

The gay-friendliest companies aren’t surprising. Companies that strongly pursue the metrosexual demographic come out tops: Apple is, not shockingly, considered the most gay friendly tech company out there. Starbucks, Bravo, Absolut, Baccardi and Levi’s are also in the top 13.

It seems Apple was doing just fine with the gay consumer before his announcement.

gadgets.boingboing.net...

edit on 30-10-2014 by thesaneone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Korg Trinity
I find it more disturbing that we have a technology leader that believes in god!

Korg.

Hey, the Pope believes in evolution now. The world has gone nuts.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit

originally posted by: Korg Trinity

Korg.

Hey, the Pope believes in evolution now. The world has gone nuts.

Perhaps the pope should sell technology

Korg.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Let's be clear, Tim Cook has never denied he is gay.

It wasn't a secret. He just didn't publicly acknowledge it until now.

It's about damn time being gay is no longer a distraction.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Let's be clear, Tim Cook has never denied he is gay.

It wasn't a secret. He just didn't publicly acknowledge it until now.

It's about damn time being gay is no longer a distraction.

Nobody knew, outside the Apple boardroom and the gay community.

And for pete's sake, my apple logo gag was genius, I thought. I guess I'm the only one.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Agreed, he has been openly gay his entire career, it was never publicly acknowledged till now. Its not like he made a big deal out of it.

As far as the "Parade" comment it was not until the AIDS crisis was under control that people really started accepting gay people again. Most of us have had an battle with our sexuality and coming out to friends and family. So the parades are a way for us to express and celebrate who we are and also how far we have come in society as a whole. God knows it has been a long road for many.
edit on 30-10-2014 by kurthall because: Added

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

i'm not gay and i knew about it so its not been a secret as such but i think jobs is always thought about when you think of apple, a bit like bill gates and microsoft so these people were pretty much the brand icons even now they've died/stepped down etc

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join