It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists Photograph Mysterious Giant Stone Circles in Jordan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

The "Azraq Wheels" are somewhat similar in some respects but they have a variety of inner partitions, are found in large groups and the largest of those is a fraction of the size of the "Big Circles" (I believe 200 feet or so in diameter). They're also built with far less precision. To me the wheels bear have an appearance that more closely resembles the baKoni ruins in South Africa:

edit on 2014-10-30 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune

Honestly, this could be a thread unto itself. From the paper you linked:

Thus what had remained of patches of forests since the Iron Age were all cut down to make room for the complete take-over of the natural resource by the Roman and Byzantine agromanagerial state.

How often do people hear "Roman" and think "wide-spread deforestation?" I'm guessing not that much but it makes perfect sense when you consider the Roman economy.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

The middle east is seen as a waste land, stony and desert, at one time it was wooded. Blame thousands of years of human activity AND human domestication of goats and sheep that eat every thing green that comes up.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   
In before ancient aliens claims they had large hadron colliders back then.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Religious connection?

Depending on how old they are, they could be representations of the Moon or the Sun.

Someone said many of these have ancient, long dried up rivers and streams that used to run through these circles...what if, on special nights, maybe the full moon, the builders dammed up one end of the river and let the water spread around the interior of the circle to a shallow depth...in the light of the full moon, the water filled disk would be like they'd captured the moon and replicated the image of the full moon on earth.

Maybe to signify and honour the rebirth or return of the brightest phase of their moon god?

Imitation is after all the sincerest form of flattery.

edit on 1-11-2014 by MysterX because: typo

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
great pics, they are huge it's fascinating!

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: dr1234
In before ancient aliens claims they had large hadron colliders back then.

Mann, that's indicative of such a limited, arrogant paradigm, and it's holding us back from ascending to the fifth density and developing our latent powers, like telepathy, teleportation, tellysavalas.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Maybe a more simple explanation, such as the clear boundaries for land. Possibly for farming or marking territory. People are simply, we like to make it clear what land we are using, and not some ancient ritual to summon cthulhu.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
There is some additional information in a Daily Mail article. Here's a few highlights:

A distribution map:

J9, J10, J11 and J12 are in a cluster just north of Azraq, the location of the Azraq Wheels. J9 and J10 are two of the least well formed circles and have the same Roman road running through them. This road has been dated to 208 to 210 AD from several milestones. All of the circles measure 350m (1,150 feet) or greater except J7, which is 220m to 250m (720-820 feet).
edit on 2014-11-2 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Picket line or perhaps a post road (a place where messengers could exchange ridden horses for new. Perhaps the circles were enclosures for horse grazing but they would have needed wooden posts - ie are their post holes?

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   
one of those "big circles" lies near to my home about 3 km away ... i discovered it recently by chance while checking around on google earth, so i started studying it supposing that it had been made for hiding a treasure regarding to Ottoman civilization which has left my country in 1918 after being defeated in world war I, this circle is what has a heaps of stones inside it to the left side of the circle in the photos above.

these heaps are made in a certain arrangement and distances between them which if you measure those distances in certain way will give you the exact measurement of the diameter which is 400 m.

and while studying those heaps i found out that they look exactly like the PLEIADES ( a star cluster ) which is also known as "m 45".

In Turkish the Pleiades are known as Ülker. According to the Middle Turkic lexicographer Kaşgarlı Mahmud, writing in the 11th century, ülker çerig refers to a military ambush (çerig meaning 'troops in battle formation'): "The army is broken up into detachments posted in various places," and when one detachment falls back the others follow after it, and by this device "(the enemy) is often routed." Thus ülker çerig literally means 'an army made up of a group of detachments', which forms an apt simile for a star cluster. "wikipedia.com"

and that is exactly what happened to the ottoman army in my country.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Building a circle is a good way to set up an observatory. A person can sit in the center of the circle, and use the outer wall as reference points to measure the angle/degrees and mark the location of stars.

Seems like a lot of effort for that, but there is evidence elsewhere of people taking interest in astronomy a long time before the big civilizations came along and started perfecting it.

Agriculture depends a lot of keeping good calendars. Remembering what season you are presently in.

originally posted by: Char-Lee

originally posted by: EartOccupant
I see old dryed up riverbeds in all of them.

My guess would be a huge coral where they would keep domesticated cattle.

Or collect migrating herds by chasing them into the corral.

They already know the walls were not high enough for this purpose.

If the top of the wall was uneven, then perhaps it might work similarly to modern cattle guards? The animal would be afraid to try and walk on the surface.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Or they could be for navigation. Markings could be placed on the outer wall so that when you sit in the center of the circle you can see which direction you need to travel to get to the next circle, or to a nearby city, or oasis, or .... wherever...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join