It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists Photograph Mysterious Giant Stone Circles in Jordan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Archaeologists in Jordan have taken high-resolution aerial photographs of 11 of what they refer to simply as "Big Circles" — mysterious stone wall circles with unknown origin purpose and origin. There are at least a dozen of these circles in Jordan and another in Syria, nearly vanished, that was discovered in 2013. The circles, which are estimated to be at least 2,000 years old and possibly even prehistoric, were first spotted by aircraft in the 1920's. One of the most curious features of the giant circles (average size is about 1,300 feet) is the lack of entrances.

From Live Science (all images: Professor David L. Kennedy, APAAME):

Circle J2 - 390 m (1,280 feet) in diameter.
Circle J3 - 400 m (1,312 feet) in diameter.
Circle J4 - 420 m (1,378 feet) in diameter.

The Big Circle called J4 is about 420 m (1,378 feet) in diameter. An ancient track road runs through it. South of the circle this track road has three Roman milestones. During the Roman Empire milestones were erected at regular intervals, giving travelers an idea of how far they'd gone. Milestones also bore the name of the Roman emperor, letting people know that Rome controlled the territory.

Another of the circles has a Roman road running through it, indicating that the construction of the "Big Circles" is at least pre-Roman. Much more ground work is needed but a few of the circles have been visited by archaeologists. Here's what they look like from the ground:

Circle J2 as seen from the ground.
Circle J3 with pit exposing layers of wall.

From the related Live Science article:

The circles would not have been hard to build, Kennedy said. They were constructed mainly with local rocks, and a dozen people working hard could potentially complete a Big Circle in a week, Kennedy told Live Science in an email.

However, building the circles in a precise shape would have taken some planning. "In the case of those circles that [are] near-precise circles, it would have required at least one person as 'architect,'" Kennedy said, adding that this architect could simply have tied a long rope to a post and walked in a circle, marking the ground as he or she moved around. "That would also explain the glitches [in the circles] where the land was uneven," as the architect wouldn't have been able to keep walking in a perfect circle at those spots.

The opinion of researchers studying the circles, Professor Kennedy included, is that they were unlikely to be used as corrals due to the precision of their circular shape, the low height of the walls and of course, the lack of entrances.
edit on 2014-10-30 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
We need to start building a giant corkscrew and pull out those pieces of land, we could fine a secret underground base, or a good wine, either way we win

This is incredibly fascinating, you have to ask yourself, why would they go through so much work...was it a way of splitting up land for farming? maybe there was a "fence"of some kind to keep animals in one place?
or maybe a way for mankind to communicate with the unknown, a plea to a cold, vast universe, that we are here, and deep down, all wish to know who or what is out there, or if we are in fact, alone.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Very interesting indeed: some thought, marked arena for cavalry training or mock/full scale combat. Marking of territory for a burial or special camp site. Unknown religious or magical ritual or the actions of a madman.

The circles aren't precise and cover uneven ground, hmmmm

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I would be interested if there is any trace of wood. The Zulu built similar complexes, small foundations then pickets, outside thorn bushes...etc. for defense of a village. Openings were hidden. They appear to be an early version of a fort to me.

Just my 2 cents

MG

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune

All but one of the circles is fairly precise in terms of its geometry (though some do cover uneven ground). One of the articles mentions three cairns at one of the circles but they believe them to be a later addition and not related to the circle's construction. I'd say the next step is to fully excavate the interior of one. If they were used to encircle camps for instance, there would be the remains of the fires.
edit on 2014-10-30 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Some people long ago had a little too much time on their hands. Someone had an idea to build this thing and talked others into helping. It's funny how little people have changed over the last two thousand years. Back then people didn't have to buy expensive technology to do this kind of stuff, the ones getting rich now make equipment and technology.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
An encamped army with hundreds could probably make one fast.

Lots of warring and traveling to wars in that area in the ancient past.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

this picture taken under sea of galilee israel
i dont know what their pupose..but i think this structure very important to them..
nice science op..SNF

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I see old dryed up riverbeds in all of them.

My guess would be a huge coral where they would keep domesticated cattle.

Or collect migrating herds by chasing them into the corral.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: EartOccupant
I see old dryed up riverbeds in all of them.

My guess would be a huge coral where they would keep domesticated cattle.

Or collect migrating herds by chasing them into the corral.

They already know the walls were not high enough for this purpose.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
An encamped army with hundreds could probably make one fast.

Lots of warring and traveling to wars in that area in the ancient past.

For what purpose would they spend their rest making a short wall?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Some people long ago had a little too much time on their hands. Someone had an idea to build this thing and talked others into helping. It's funny how little people have changed over the last two thousand years. Back then people didn't have to buy expensive technology to do this kind of stuff, the ones getting rich now make equipment and technology.

Well there are a lot of them as Cheesy shows some even under the sea and from the OP...

aerial photographs of 11 of what they refer to simply as "Big Circles

Making a living took everyones time then as it does now I doubt they made huge circles for no reason at all.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: cheesy

this picture taken under sea of galilee israel
i dont know what their pupose..but i think this structure very important to them..
nice science op..SNF

Your picture makes shows the circle beyond just seeing the outline do you know what causes the color, I wonder if the circles originally did contain a depression which is since filed in.

Also I wonder are all of the circles the same approximate diameter? They mention 1,378, 1,312, 1,280 so a purpose which required a certain size.
edit on 30-10-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Maybe the land was once owned by a rancher with 1 leg shorter than the other

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

However, building the circles in a precise shape would have taken some planning. "In the case of those circles that [are] near-precise circles, it would have required at least one person as 'architect,'" Kennedy said,

Or a big piece of string tied to a pole..
edit on 30-10-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Yep, that's definitely how I'd do it! I suspect there's a bit of logistics involved in moving a a 650-700 foot rope across uneven ground and keeping it taut but overall, I think how ancient builders managed a nice circle is the least of the mysteries about these circles.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I'm of the mind that there are circles like this and other ground markings all around the world, and they are all for the same purpose. Maybe they had some sort of natural significance. We see places like this all around, like the place in California where you roll up hill or in the B triangle where compass go wacky. I would not doubt that ancient people held these sites sacred. Was there some phenomenon associated with these areas once upon a time? Unless they are documented we may never know. Good thread!

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Temporary defensive camps for a medium-sized army.

All the toe-stubbers cleared out of the way and a fast and easy low wall.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
There are plenty more strange circular 'corals' in Jordan;

From Azraq Oasis:

Some of them have cairns along the lines of the circles, leaving some to believe they are cemeteries, others feel they are used for rituals connected with astronomical events.

Google Azraq Oasis Jordan for more pics.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

I believe that many thousands of years ago the arid area that is now most of eastern Jordan was a savannah/forest and there was sufficient wood for people to build things out of wood. What we may be seeing are the 'foundations' of those constructions made thousands of years ago, retained in an area that is geologically stable.

This story begins with mention of the burgeoning evidence for the beginnings of agriculture in the Near East having occurred in the Mediterranean forests of the Southern Levant. The discovery of forest-dwelling Epipalaeolithic cultures associated with this achievement in the Hisban Region is consistent with other findings that point to the existence of a Mediterranean Woodland Forest here during Early Holocene and Neolithic times. The first major deforestation event in this region appears to have occurred during the Early Bronze Age. Additional forests were cut down during the Iron Age, and by Roman-Byzantine times what remained of the virgin forest was nearly completely removed. Contrary to what is often asserted, sustained regeneration of forests appears to have gotten underway during Early Islamic times. This process of recovery of the ancient forest continued until the middle of the nineteenth century when isolated stands of forests could still be seen.

This idea is not for the large circles of the OP but for BM outlines.

A Forest That Refuses to Disappear:
Cycles of Environmental Degeneration and
Regeneration in Jordan

edit on 30/10/14 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

edit on 30/10/14 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join