It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will you double check your voting machine before pushing the enter button?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
www.snopes.com...

TRUE: An improperly calibrated voting machine prevented a Republican candidate from voting for himself and votes were cast "opposite" from the candidates selected during early voting in Cook County, Illinois.

On purpose as some say, not on purpose as others and snopes say. I'm also certain there has been a thread about the machine, this is an election question only, not a hate on any party question, nor a it was done on purpose or not question.

Regardless, will you double check your vote and urge everyone you know to be alert and double check their votes if they use a computerized machine with no paper option?

Please if you think voting a waste of time, your responses will be a waste of time here.

If you are in a computerized voting district are you getting out the word to check for improperly calibrated machines and to tell the poll watchers and the media about any problems?

I want to know if people who plan to vote are passing the message to other voters to double check their votes.

edit on 8Thu, 30 Oct 2014 08:52:56 -0500am103010amk304 by grandmakdw because: format error

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Answer to the title question.... Damn straight I will.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
i Do believe that it is a waste of time, sorry to say, now that voting has gone digital, it makes even less sense to put in any effort.
But let's say the system is honest, and that like with any software, glitches can happen.
how can it be checked? is there and "undo" button? or a counter that clearly shows "where"the vote went?
and if you have doubts, you would also have to say who you voted for, and isn't that "private"information to begin with?
I just don't see how you can check if the machine is doing the proper thing.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I always have

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Please if you think voting a waste of time, your responses will be a waste of time here.

Ballot-less voting is a waste of time. The machines are "calibrated"? How do you "calibrate" simple arithmetic? That should be a clue to people.

By the way, how does one "check" their machine? The only mistake the programmers made with the "calibration" is the "switch" was found out.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
"Welcome to VoteTron 3000. Please state your political leaning."

"Um... Republican, I guess."

"You said: "Fascist". Is that correct?"

"No. Republican."

"Thank you for confirming: "Fascist". Please state your vote."

"Mitt Romney."

"You said "Ross Perot". Is that correct?"

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Double check? Everyone needs to be filming themselves voting.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I always check -- two or three times even.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Must have been programmed by a communist..oh..I mean liberal.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

I responded to another thread yesterday on this topic. I said that I had this experience happen to me about two decades ago here in central Texas. What I didn't mention exactly was I was attempting to vote republican and the screen showed that I voted for a democrat. As I mentioned in that post, I let the incident slide and didn't report it. How stupid of me not to complain. --Intending to vote one way, had it shifted to the other guy and not only was my vote lost, but he gained a vote.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I guess what I don't understand is why the companies who manufacture these things have to use touch screens in the first place.

This is very simple- the screen shows the question, and has options listed next to buttons.

Who can't work an ATM? physical buttons line up to digital options.

That takes care of the whole calibration issue....
....Now we just need to sort out the corrupt people who make 'buggy' software.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

In my state we still use the ballots where you fill in the circles, but who is to say the scanners haven't been "calibrated" to switch votes? It's still electronic and must be programmed. I don't think I trust any electronic voting machines any more.

And yes, those machines were deliberately miscalibrated. To think otherwise is just ignorant.

I thought of a system for a voting machine that someone smarter than me should develop. A mechanical system that punches a semicircle from the edge of a paper ballot card. Have a separate card for every race in a particular district, and have a key punched cut out of them to indicate which race the card indicates, and perhaps colored cardstock for major races. They could be electronic as well, but the idea is to be able to stack them so that the punched areas line up and you can visually see which candidate has more votes, with no room for ballot manipulation.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I'm not too worried about the machine. I'm more concerned that my Mother doesn't vote in this election, like she has in the last three elections. It is kind of important, since she died in August 2010.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
i Do believe that it is a waste of time, sorry to say, now that voting has gone digital, it makes even less sense to put in any effort.
But let's say the system is honest, and that like with any software, glitches can happen.
how can it be checked? is there and "undo" button? or a counter that clearly shows "where"the vote went?
and if you have doubts, you would also have to say who you voted for, and isn't that "private"information to begin with?
I just don't see how you can check if the machine is doing the proper thing.

As I understand it you can double check your votes before finalizing the vote.

That is how the guy found the machine changing to vote from him to his opponent in early voting.

He changed it several times, it changed back several times. He called over the poll monitors (helpers), they tried the machine and could not get it to vote correctly. He was then directed to another machine. He went to reporters with the story as he saw at the time no effort to take the machine out of service. At least that is my understanding of the story.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

It is not a waste of time if you get people together and insist on paper ballots to go along with the machine vote. Running the ballots through "scantron" is amazing fast and easy.

But you are right the machine only voting is a set up for fraud clear and simple.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Your experience is why we need to SPREAD new news far and wide

to double check your machine only vote

to go to the media immediately after reporting it at the poll station.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Have you reported this to the local media?

If you have some proof, which it looks like you do.

Run, don't walk to all the TV stations and major newspaper in your town and post it online here.

We all must be vigilant about it!

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
As long as no paper-trail is produced for manual counting, you can't check anything!

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
As long as no paper-trail is produced for manual counting, you can't check anything!

I don't know if the machines are the same everywhere, but the ones in my area do produce a paper receipt of sorts that the machine retains as a 'paper trail'. Now whether anyone counts those and verifies them against what the computer says, well... I have my doubts. In any case, yes, I checked it to make sure it reflected the correct choices when I voted a couple of days ago.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

It is not a waste of time if you get people together and insist on paper ballots to go along with the machine vote.

Maybe we should vote on it? Did we vote on the issue of "switching" to voting machines? Do we get receipts showing our vote like at a cash register at any frigging store? Imagine banking and finance where the machines "switch" amounts around? Oh, the adding machine must be "out of calibration".

If you look around every country has their elections and its all by ballot. They would ever allow anything electronic, seems Americans are easily led to pasture these days. Everything we do is "digital", why not voting?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join